Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Allow users to hidedelete their forum replies

I appreciate that we can edit and that there's no time limit on doing so. I like editing my posts, the ability to do so allows me to improve my concision.
The message never changes, the language simply improves. post then publish

This won't be a popular suggestion.
there are many reasons for and against. 
i just wanted to put it out there.

I say hidedelete because im told even moderators can't delete. 
thoughts?

this is a wurm deleted forum post! trouble is, nothing really leave the internet, as proved by a few thread retrieved from archived posts in some web browsing database.

yes i know. 
but for the sake of an active conversation, it's a useful function.
I quadruple posted on the deedplanner thread at the beginning of this month, shrimpiie didn't get my pm in time but thankfully another mod read my intention to pm him and did me the honour.
If those 3 posts hadn't been hidden, it would have been a somewhat embarrassing mess, read by many people. 
that's just one example. from one person. 

the internet never forgets.
yeah no prob, but im not talking about the needs of archived posts. I'm talking about active conversations

With all the double posting lately it would be nice if we could delete a post that did not have a reply after it at least.

• Like 1

My posts get deleted before i can even delete em myself

On a serious note, +1

• Like 1

Currently, people who want their post to be hidden can request that by editing their post to something like PLEASE DELETE and optionally reporting it to bring to the attention of moderators. Then, even if it doesn't get deleted, the actual forum post content is removed, so one can just see that you actually did post but people won't see what the original was.

I think that if we give people a chance to delete posts, it will create a giant mess on the forums because people can post something and if they don't like it anymore they can just delete without any trace of their even having posted. Things like quotes from other members would turn into a mess because people would be quoting posts that no longer exist - not even as an edited version of the original quote.

There may be some people who would use this responsibly and delete double posts only, but there are also a lot of people that would abuse this ability.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

My posts get deleted before i can even delete em myself

On a serious note, +1

Mine to :)

But ya, +1, if for no better reason then to delete those double posts that come up.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

Currently, people who want their post to be hidden can request that by editing their post to something like PLEASE DELETE and optionally reporting it to bring to the attention of moderators. Then, even if it doesn't get deleted, the actual forum post content is removed, so one can just see that you actually did post but people won't see what the original was.

I think that if we give people a chance to delete posts, it will create a giant mess on the forums because people can post something and if they don't like it anymore they can just delete without any trace of their even having posted. Things like quotes from other members would turn into a mess because people would be quoting posts that no longer exist - not even as an edited version of the original quote.

There may be some people who would use this responsibly and delete double posts only, but there are also a lot of people that would abuse this ability.

yeah we'd have to get into the habit of quoting within replies. just in case the source quote vanished. 
an uncomfortable concept but, maybe it wouldn't be that bad, or common.
It already occurs tho, i've edited posts after someone has quoted the old version and replied to it. 
although your point is (imo) very valid.

Edited by Steveleeb
an

-1 As Yldrania said we can only hide post's atm, but all you need is one person to troll on the forums for everyone else to react, then they delete their post so it looks like everyone else is in the wrong.

Editing the post out or asking for it to be removed is more than adequate in my view.

• Like 1

rather keep old placeholders, it's enough that any post could be fully edited/replaced while the topic is open;

only downside is.. the case with double/tripple posting replies.. and asking mods to delete the extra(s)..

Well, the ability for players to flat out delete their own posts is not something that will be given, as moderators don't even delete posts but simply hide them from the public eye. Adding the ability for users to hide their own content as well also isn't something that is a good idea to be added as was described earlier in the event of someone hiding their posts, quoted content becomes weird and links to nothing. When moderators remove content, they remove all content directly replying to, talking about, or quoting the removed post. Of course this can cause quite a cascade of removed content where half a thread is removed, but that is what is done to avoid confusions and quite possibly rediscussing removed content.

• Like 1

Can we have certain places allowed to delete? Auctions are filled with please close and it would be much nicer to have that function there if anything

+.5

• Like 1

"Please close" threads are not hidden though. And the ability to lock threads also can easily lead to abuse. If a post needs removed or locked, please instead utilize the report button as a means to let moderators know about it.

as it stands the system is more orderly, less bound by chaos. (aside from a faulty forum causing it)
i retract my suggestion but, obviously,  feel free to breathe as much life into it as you wish. 
:)

The greatest argument against said suggestion, would be the `dog chases its own tail` aspect of what a heated debate can turn into.
clarity being this;
`.When moderators remove content, they remove all content directly replying to, talking about, or quoting the removed post. Of course this can cause quite a cascade of removed content where half a thread is removed, but that is what is done to avoid confusions and quite possibly rediscussing removed content.`
ty shrimpiie

• Like 2

-1 who will moderate the moderators if all users are moderators.... :ph34r:

Basically, I don't like player base managed forums. 

The volunteer system with titles is a great way for players to give back to the community while still retaining the structure of an official staff run professional forum.

• Like 1

While I can appreciate what the professionals are saying, I'm going to +1 this.

I think it is nice for people to have control over their own content, and words.  Sometimes a post is made in the heat of the moment, or simply misinterpreted and causing offense.

Currently, once that is quoted, people can edit their original content in hopes of righting a wrong, but the quoted content remains as is.  (I think.)  It does not update.

I realize the most ideal would be for everyone to think long and hard before posting... and I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm certainly human.  If I speak out of turn, I can address it further down in the thread which does maintain the integrity of the conversation itself.  However, there are times it would be preferable (at least to me and my conscience) to address the matter more directly and thoroughly.

Perhaps that is what would be considered abuse, at which point I suppose I am a potential abuser and proof it should not be implemented :)

I also realize Steveleeb suggested this with regard to double/triple posts... there I would suggest it best to assume the root cause of that problem will be resolved, rather than patch in a band-aid.

-1, it may sound wacky but, how could you know whether a mod deleted it or the author?  (aside from many problems with things randomly disappearing)

Words don't just magically fly back into the mouth.  Why should a forum try to further that crazy notion? (and obviously you can already edit it)

This whole thread reminds me of my boss trying to fix typos in check-in comments...  Re-writing history is possible but also bad

Edited by Belgrim
added more content

1 hour ago, Belgrim said:

-1, it may sound wacky but, how could you know whether a mod deleted it or the author?  (aside from many problems with things randomly disappearing)

Words don't just magically fly back into the mouth.  Why should a forum try to further that crazy notion? (and obviously you can already edit it)

This whole thread reminds me of my boss trying to fix typos in check-in comments...  Re-writing history is possible but also bad

Just curious, why does it matter who deleted it?  The author would know if a mod did so.  The mods would know.  If I'm not mistaken, this is limited to people moderating themselves.

It's true that words don't fly back into one's mouth, though some have been known to eat their words. ^_^  Things can disappear currently since anyone can already edit their own material at any time.  I guess I'm just not a big fan of other people having control of what remains by virtue of quotes.  I just prefer the notion of someone's words remaining their own, rather than possibly commandeered by someone else.

Just my 2c for posterity.  I don't expect to change the mods' minds as they have already chosen to -1.  

I have been known to go back and erase something I quoted from someone else when they chose to erase their own content.  Brash I think it was.  So even if I can't benefit in the same way, I can still allow others to maintain control over their own words if they wish.  That's not something I'm personally opposed to.

Edited by Reylaark
been added