Sign in to follow this  
Iberis

Map Reset for Chaos

Should Chaos have a Map Reset?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chaos have a Map Reset?

Map reset or a new map? It is not the same and not very clear what is wanted here or what is supposed to be the goal of such thing. Just as is it going to accomplish nothing besides players having to start over again.

8 minutes ago, Chlodovech said:

Map reset or a new map? It is not the same and not very clear what is wanted here or what is supposed to be the goal of such thing. Just as is it going to accomplish nothing besides players having to start over again.

I think a reset, not a new map, is what's being discussed. 

And it would be a completely fresh start which would tempt more people to come try the then fledgling server. 

Buuut, all this is just talk anyways. Chaos is never going to be reset and a merge will never happen. I can't say it with certainty about the reset, but I do recall reading somewhere that a merge will NEVER happen. So this is all just moot debating from people who like to argue.(myself included)

12 hours ago, Wargasm said:

19 people.  On 4 servers.  "Killed" may have been a poor choice of words, but the point is that a map reset didn't do much to bolster the population.

so riddle me this

server pop = 20 prior to reset

it resets, it gets 100+ players for over a year before finally crumbling slowly to pre-reset numbers

worth it or not?

i'd wager yes, thats a lot more money, and a lot more players, and a lot more fun, even if its only for a year. (because that is what happened) Maybe i'm a fool for not enjoying the game where i get to play kill the same 10 people over and over and over in the same 10 ways over and over and over because they ignored every guide you wrote, every piece of advice you ever gave them, and they don't learn from their own mistakes. New map = more players = incentive to split = more pvp

also, i vote yes to these every time, but, the dev team i believe has stated that a reset of any kind is a last resort, so ye. if we did get a reset id like to see the chaos map stick around as a freedom map though. it has a lot of history and is the best map made since notch left the team, no map the current staff has been able to put out has even remotely come close to the quality of that map. The elevation one was a joke, they gave us a complete ###### one, so bad to the point where people would be excited for anything else, and then followed up with the current one. I guess that tactic works on people who even know it well :/.

Also to @IberisEnjoy getting any of these polls to work though, you will be bombarded with no votes from people who just absolutely have to put their 2c in, who have no intention of actually playing on the server, many of which who have quit long ago, and quite a few who have never stepped foot on the server. It's a big reason why absolutely nothing relating to big balance gets changed on PvP either.

also @ScribbleWU pvp servers don't succeed because everyone cheats, and client mods/hacks for WU, some with pvp designed explicitly in mind are freely posted here on the official WO forums, and there is nothing any server owner can do because they aren't allowed to develop a proper anticheat, at most they can reduce what information is sent to the client, but it doesn't matter because what the majority uses out there is already undetectable by the best server sided stuff ive seen so far.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Matholameu said:

Someone with math skill can work out what Epic player's "true level" is and just merge em. 
I realize that a reset/merge will NEVER happen(most likely) and in all honesty, I voted no on this poll.
However, I think if a reset of any kind were to work, it would need to be a complete PVP reset across the game and would need to be accompanied by a merge.

Also make it so if the play has both Freedom and Epic skills they combine accordingly :P I like it!.

Just now, FireHeart said:

Also make it so if the play has both Freedom and Epic skills they combine accordingly :P I like it!.

I can agree with that. 

29 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

so riddle me this (cut out to save length)

This vote is definitely winning in the yes section. Who knows... maybe the tides are turning. :P

4 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

This vote is definitely winning in the yes section. Who knows... maybe the tides are turning. :P

every poll ever made like this has been winning in the yes section.

we had a merge poll with 85% yes and 170+ votes and it wasn't enough even to get more than a "its never happening"

Edited by Propheteer

6 hours ago, Propheteer said:

every poll ever made like this has been winning in the yes section.

we had a merge poll with 85% yes and 170+ votes and it wasn't enough even to get more than a "its never happening"

hey take your merge ###### somewhere else

Because votes on the forum matter so much.  What % of those votes are people that have ever set foot on Chaos, much less actively play there?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Scribble said:

It doesn't help that the Wurm PVP playerbase is one of the most toxic group of people I've ever seen.

You can't escape it either, because the moment a new PVP server opens up in Wurm Unlimited, they all flock there, you get non-stop sh*t talking and /pol/ memes, and then the server dies a month later because anyone who isn't a part of the original hardcore Wurm PVP community flees since they want to have nothing to do with that. Repeat every six months or so.

Not everyone on chaos is toxic. But the masses who are most vocal seem to be and that is a big reason why there is such a misconception of chaos. 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2017 at 3:29 PM, MaurizioAM said:

Not everyone on chaos is toxic. But the masses who are most vocal seem to be and that is a big reason why there is such a misconception of chaos. 

I've only encountered a small handful of toxic players and I've made a point to try to talk to and get to know as many players as possible. I think most of the toxic crowd are no longer on chaos but are either playing other games or WU. But I can only comment from my own experiences. Some players are more likely to rub people up the wrong way more then others creating that "toxic" mentality from players they don't get along with.

My reasons for wanting a reset are as follows since Wargasm was curious...

Yeah the map is great and amazing to walk around with rich history and such. But it feels so developed that I feel like as a new player I'd never be able to leave my mark.

As a new player I'd also love to be there from the start (or close too). Right now it is quite overwhelming when everyone knows all the ruins and deed names, every road, ramp and tunnel. These things can take years to learn but a map reset will throw out that advantage that the veteren chaos have over new or potential new players. It puts everyone in the same position.

Right now the hota zone is a mess. Would love to see a bigger more accessiable hota zone or multiple hota zones. FF is blocked by hunter's lodge so can't be deed or done anything with. There is no space really for anyone new to build their own hota deed.

I'd absolutely love to see a fresh brand new map. Over the years especially with the release of wurm-unlimited there has been some fantastic map designs and creation tools. Something fresh and new to spark interest.

I would absolutely love to see what happens in the first few days with the landgrabbing! the skirmishes for land and settling capitals.

Also I think there would be a flood of interest. Lots of players who have been thinking about trying chaos and pvp but always feeling a little bit intimidated because of how established it is.

Anyway those are a few of my reasons! :D

• Like 1

People say a lot of things and most of it is garbage.

Resets have historically proven to not work, especially long term, and that's even when they are voted for.

Personally let's keep Chaos. Its the oldest map by far, and one of the larger active maps. Good bit of history there.

Why not reset Epic server and get rid of Chaos.  Make it to where we can transfer our current freedom skills over one time and not have to start from zero.  Then you will have a lot more people want to try out PvP and possibly stick with it since have 24 hour portal between Epic and Freedom.

This also keeps the gear from PvP kills in circulation (not going back to freedom) and gives the PvP economy something different instead of buying everything (materials) from freedom.  I know Epic already does this, but I've only played Chaos.

The PvP split between 2 different servers just sucks for population.  Epic sounds like it has cooler stuff to do.

I've repeated this pretty much in another post, but wanting to get this spread.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 1

I'am for every action that "refresh" or merge pvp community. Many other people also sign for it, like we saw in countless topics in last 2 years.

Problem is, devs do not want it (at least right now), so we can discuss til we drop dead and it won't change anything.

Even if they decide to do so in the future, there is still no real system of converting stats in one way or another (I mean real and solid equations).

As for chaos, there were suggestions wich allowed to merge with epic without modyfying/closing chaos.

Edited by Wilczan

Petition for a test server to try it? (edit) I mean.. test server with merged epic/chaos chars.. if there's inerest in that.. ..(/edit)

Pray for positive vote for that.. and than for a temp server to actually happen..

5 hours ago, Wilczan said:

As for chaos, there were suggestions which allowed to merge with epic without modyfying/closing chaos.

About that.. doubt chaos wants to join your Epic family..

Edited by Finnn

Oh speaking of Chaos's historical value, if memory serves, its also the last active map from when Rolf and Notch were working together. Though I'm unsure if they both worked on it, or what extent.