Sign in to follow this  
Iberis

Map Reset for Chaos

Should Chaos have a Map Reset?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chaos have a Map Reset?

So I know I haven't ben on Chaos very long but I've noticed a few people saying how good this would be more then once.

I know Chaos has a lot of history and ruins but it is so quiet right now. the HOTA area is a bit of a mess. It's kinda hard to travel and roam depending on where you are.

How awesome would it be to have a brand new Chaos map and have the Kingdoms carve a new chunk of land for themselves! Especially with summer coming up there would be so much activity on Chaos. While it's quiet now would be the best time :D

Edited by Iberis
  • Like 5

As long as it doesn't turn out like Elevations map.

People knew about it 2 months in advance and had plenty of time to prepare to move stuff.

@ausimusfor the new map!

Edited by Rudie
  • Like 1

Ausimus would be great for map design. But I can understand if they pick someone who doesn't play chaos to design a new one :)

Maybe give everyone a good 1-2 months advance notice so that everyone has plenty of warning to move stuff over to freedom safely before the reset.

I just just imagine the skirmishes now for landgrabbing on a brand new map and people out roaming and exploring - building new deeds. There would be so much activity :)

+1, there is another thread where I posted ideas. 

• Like 1

Will there be a dirt wall refund? RIP all that digging.

rename chaos wild server, leave the mean things running around and make a new pvp server

the chaos map is very nice would hate to see deleted

• Like 10

I wonder if all the kingdoms on chaos agree to this the dev's might consider it :D?

47 minutes ago, Oreo said:

y no poll

Poll is a good idea i added one for you oreo :)

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

rename chaos wild server, leave the mean things running around and make a new pvp server

the chaos map is very nice would hate to see deleted

Has been suggested to leave Chaos as is, and leave as a freedom legacy map so people can see how us Chaosites lived. Think its a great idea.

• Like 6

Sorry, but I think a map reset is pointless. 

1.  It arguably killed Elevation.

2.  "Retired" PvPers would come back for 2-3 weeks and then quit again.

3.  Years of work building deeds is lost.

4.  A reset opens the door to future resets, which would become more and more frequent in desperate attempts to keep players.

5. Infrastructure is probably the only reason my kingdom is still standing.

However, I'd love to hear from people that want a map reset... to tell me why they think a map reset is beneficial (and don't give generic answers like the economy or the player base.  Why do YOU want it?

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

1.  It arguably killed Elevation.

Don't act like you know what you're talking about. The map reset extended elevations longevity. What killed it was the fact that all unique features epic had were given to freedom, and the lack of updates oriented towards pvp. Elevation and epic were on a road to failure a long time ago. 

Edited by Egard
  • Like 2

19 people.  On 4 servers.  "Killed" may have been a poor choice of words, but the point is that a map reset didn't do much to bolster the population.

19 people divided by 4 servers is 5 for arguements sake. :P 5 people per server compared to Chaos 20-50 depending on the time. 
Just get rid of Epic altogether at the same time as doing a map reset on Chaos.

It would be a full PVP reset across the board and force all the PVPers to join one server.
There isn't a large enough PVP population to support 2 servers anyways, much less 5. 

Someone with math skill can work out what Epic player's "true level" is and just merge em. 
I realize that a reset/merge will NEVER happen(most likely) and in all honesty, I voted no on this poll.
However, I think if a reset of any kind were to work, it would need to be a complete PVP reset across the game and would need to be accompanied by a merge.

Edited by Matholameu
I ##### hate typos.
  • Like 1

I'd go to the Chaos museum for sure.  I'd love to see how insane the walls and buildings are there.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

19 people.  On 4 servers.  "Killed" may have been a poor choice of words, but the point is that a map reset didn't do much to bolster the population.

from what I remember, the population was already in strong decline and that reset brought a ton of folks back for a while.  Much like adding Xanadu brought a ton of folks back, but then over time it declined.  Gotta keep bringing the new.

1 hour ago, Matholameu said:

19 people divided by 4 servers is 5 for arguements sake. :P 5 people per server compared to Chaos 20-50 depending on the time. 
Just get rid of Epic altogether at the same time as doing a map reset on Chaos.

It would be a full PVP reset across the board and force all the PVPers to join one server.
There isn't a large enough PVP population to support 2 servers anyways, much less 5. 

Someone with math skill can work out what Epic player's "true level" is and just merge em. 
I realize that a reset/merge will NEVER happen(most likely) and in all honesty, I voted no on this poll.
However, I think if a reset of any kind were to work, it would need to be a complete PVP reset across the game and would need to be accompanied by a merge.

19 - Yes, it's 5 people per server, and thus around 6-7 people per kingdom (counting 3 kingdoms).

27 - On Chaos - It's around 9 people per kingdom (counting 3 kingdoms).

From this, I could say that both are dead.

And Elevation reset didn't bring people back for a while, it brought them for almost a year, maybe they would stay longer if not the things Egard already mentioned + too big map/too much sailing

Edited by Wilczan

3 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

19 - Yes, it's 5 people per server, and thus around 6-7 people per kingdom (counting 3 kingdoms).

27 - On Chaos - It's around 9 poeple per kingdom (counting 3 kingdoms).

From this, I could say that both are dead.

I'd say Chaos has 5-15 (edit: active) people per kingdom realistically. Yes, pretty dead too, but, not even comparably so to the Epic cluster.
And as I said, I think a reset/merge is the only thing that will fix those numbers. Combine the pops.   

Also, Chaos has 6 PMKs I believe. Not sure about Epic. 

Edited by Matholameu
oops

Epics have no chance to fight chaos people after skill nerfs... to freedom standarts..

There's the problem what they could bring to freedom.. being poor and naked:o as they come to chaos.. lower skills and body stats..:rolleyes:

It's more likely.. that some are just going to pass trough and sell chars, than probably buy a new one with the skills they need.B)

4 hours ago, Wargasm said:

5. Infrastructure LAG is probably the only reason my kingdom is still standing.

corrected the typo

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

Epics have no chance to fight chaos people after skill nerfs... to freedom standarts..

There's the problem what they could bring to freedom.. being poor and naked:o as they come to chaos.. lower skills and body stats..:rolleyes:

It's more likely.. that some are just going to pass trough and sell chars, than probably buy a new one with the skills they need.B)

Yes, having to regrind their stats the same amount as Chaos players already did would be frustrating, but not unfair. 
And, as for starting from scratch. Let their inventory carry with them when they start on the Freedom cluster. 

And, if it was accompanied by a Chaos map reset, then the Chaos players wouldn't have any serious advantage, because they'd be starting over too infrastructure wise. 

I think there would be interest in a PVP server with a win condition. When the win condition is met, that kingdom wins the campaign and gets a reward. The server then reboots with a new map a week later. All premium characters carry over their skills, money, and as much stuff as they can carry in their inventory. All deeds are partially refunded.

I don't know what the win condition would be. Maybe the world just ends after a few months and the kingdom with the most kills wins? I'm sure people can figure out something more exciting than that, though.

The problem I have with Wurm PVP is that once the exploration and building phase is over, PVP turns into a turtle fest where all kingdoms are too well protected and it's too much of a hassle to raid. If you make a timed world server, you avoid the problem of kingdoms turtling up so heavily, the world ending up spammed with ruins and unused roads, and every inch of the world mapped and safe.

Allow non-premium characters as well, but delete them at the end of every cycle, or just reset them back to newbie status.

• Like 2

Yes, having to regrind their stats the same amount as Chaos players already did would be frustrating, but not unfair. 
And, as for starting from scratch. Let their inventory carry with them when they start on the Freedom cluster. 

And, if it was accompanied by a Chaos map reset, then the Chaos players wouldn't have any serious advantage, because they'd be starting over too infrastructure wise. 

more skill, supplies and wealth safely chilling on pve map deeds(ready to be shipped).. vs fresh meat :/

If niru wasnt enough to #### the prices of everything fancy that was selling... imagine what a few more 'aliens' could bring from the other world..(it's not like.. half the people there cant and wont make more chars to carry more wealth into freedom) IF... at all it was possible to pass over...;

least concern is the amount of uniques they could gank, loot, transfer, sell, and buy new chars, everybody's happy.. but.. it's some limited content from the other world.. that a few could shake and gather than put on the market here. (doubt there will be that dumb people to walk around in scale/drake on chaos.. with low skills and stats or random gear to fight with..)

@Scribblethat's terrible idea for wurm..(a game with economy and currency that could be cashed..), it it was something ingame that remains and helps only you.. ingame... sure.. but as it is.. pvp is a meta, it's not like people want to pvp or raid.. they build impenetrable fortresses and gank.. and that's fun to them.. chances to have a fair fight or challenge for these folks? 0, new players winning vs meta vets with years of experience doing that.. 0.. :rolleyes:

If there was a new challenge server..  starting from scratch.. with some silver from the player to get a ticket to join the challenge.... and winners or remaining people in the end(highest battle rank, or .. it's it's loss on death..) share the ticket moneh.. gg.. it's balanced by player's funds, if somebody wants to gamble.. why not;
dev generated currency for meta wrestling... not as cool when it happens often, all that reward spoils.. eventually spill over the freedom market...

This post didn't add anything. Just venting. Feel free to delete this. 

Edited by Matholameu
Meh

Meh, I'm done on this topic. 
Long story short, Wurm PVP will continue to have a few diehard fans(including me) and not much else until a better PVP-sandbox comes out, then it's cya later. Don't mistake me, I don't want Wurm to disappear, I love the game, but frankly PVP is so broken I don't think anything will ever fix it. 

EDIT: And the PVP server pop is so small yet does SO MUCH bitching(myself included), it flabbergasts me the dev team hasn't just shut it down altogether and focused solely on PVE.

It doesn't help that the Wurm PVP playerbase is one of the most toxic group of people I've ever seen.

You can't escape it either, because the moment a new PVP server opens up in Wurm Unlimited, they all flock there, you get non-stop sh*t talking and /pol/ memes, and then the server dies a month later because anyone who isn't a part of the original hardcore Wurm PVP community flees since they want to have nothing to do with that. Repeat every six months or so.

Edited by Scribble
  • Like 1