Sign in to follow this  
Fraeya

Please fix the lag on xanadu

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

Thats it! I'm fed up with this lag! I disbanded my deed and packed up my stuff and I am now moving out of North Xanadu!!!!

...to South Xanadu...

is that an euphemism?

On 5/29/2017 at 1:01 PM, Nomadikhan said:

So I'm late to the convo but the jist of what the important people have said is that there isn't a fix for the lag.  The lag is there because it's 4x the server size with 6x the creatures so much more strain on the server code and hardware.  Don't forget devs are adding more to the game all the time..  so no matter how optimized new features are, every addition will lag Xan more and more.   Just shut the damned server down and move on.  You learned your lesson with Challenge, suck it up and tell us how it was a good test of Wurm's capabilities and that it's time to let it go.

I can't be the only one that's tired of hearing about how Xan lags and I don't even freaking live there...

What would be the best server to settle on in terms of lag and free building area? 

On 5/31/2017 at 9:39 AM, Obito said:

What would be the best server to settle on in terms of lag and free building area? 

If you want super flat areas, I would recommend Celebration. But its a bit low on the populated side. 

• Like 1

On 31-5-2017 at 3:48 PM, Finnn said:

Any of the existing.. xana is just a bit overwhelmed with it's own changes nature/creature/people.. lagging the place.

Check the lag graphs here http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_graphs 

Rest is up to you.. player count should be somewhat important.. start the game to see online-player count or check this http://wurmonline.com/status-new/

The lag graphs for Inde and Xana do show something interesting, a sizeable increase in lag for April and May. The monthly Xana graphs shows steady improvements with the lag in the last month, but what happened around late March/early April to cause that increase in lag to such a point where it even shows up on the Independence lag graph?

Yes, I know it's barely anything on the Inde graph, perhaps 0.1 to 0.2 seconds at most compared to Xana's ~3 seconds, but the months before that Independence showed no consistent lag on the yearly graph at all.

Lookup the patch-notes, you'll find your evil spirit:ph34r:

(maybe)

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Lookup the patch-notes, you'll find your evil spirit:ph34r:

(maybe)

I tried, but didn't find anything. It definetly started before the introduction of the new materials and walls (mid april), but all I could find were small bug fixes. timing wise it seems to most closely match this one:

But there's nothing in there which I'd associate with being performance heavy. So if it was in a patch then it probably wasn't documented in the patch notes or it's just not obvious.

I would take those graphs with a healthy pinch of salt. It looks very much as if the data collector gets stuck for long periods and whatever was the last value is used in the graphs, just look at the player count on Xanadu.

You really need to also see the system and process level data together with server logs to start understanding what is going on, and hopefully identify possible root causes.

• Like 1

Leave the Xanalag alone! Nothing beats sailing sideways, you creeps!

• Like 2

What if the lag is mostly from other players... PvP!

On 17/06/2017 at 2:16 PM, Wulfmaer said:

Those plateaus in the graph is just an indication that no data was collected during those periods, it is just the way that graph tool works.

It was lagging :D

When I log into any other game, and the server shows 300-400ms of lag, I expect the gameplay to be complicated. So I am baffled to see "people", claim that 1000ms is "no lag", and thats the best condition the server has been in.  Most multiplayer games would kick you if you had that kind of latency!

I'm with Kadmint on this one, I've been on Xanadu since I began playing, I've never encountered any kind of long term lag, other than the occasional you're moving too fast let the server catch up. I do remember one time having an issue where I had to use a VPN because every time I logged in I'd have a delay of like 15 seconds, but that only happened for like 1 days. 

And to the trolls suggesting that Xanadu should just close shop and kick all, its players into other servers, Nah, don't be that guy with the smart ass solution because you will become irrelevant if you aren't already.

NNn2Zfv.png

Edited by Legios
  • Like 2

Don't fix something that's not broken.

Xanalag is not a real issue. Sure, every 24 hours it takes half a minute to update the server which is 32x32 grids so basically in normal language freaking huge. Other than that - get a better ISP.

Eh, That's not true. I have 250 mbps internet. On other maps and WU maps I do not have any issue at all. There are times on Xanadu where lag will spike and it can't keep up with my position on the server. It isn't all the time and I'm not piling on with the "Xanalag" stuff, but this isn't on the user either. The server is indeed huge and when you get into a tightly packed area there is a lot it is keeping track of. If you venture off into the middle of nowhere to live as a hermit you likely don't feel the lag outside of the one timeframe you mentioned.

54 minutes ago, Erevorn said:

Don't fix something that's not broken.

Xanalag is not a real issue. Sure, every 24 hours it takes half a minute to update the server which is 32x32 grids so basically in normal language freaking huge. Other than that - get a better ISP.

I have Fiber optic, with speeds up to 1gig/s. On average I run on a 600mbps connection.

Xanadu lags. Lags bad. I have had lag spikes of about two minutes where I have had to stand up and walk away. Its a known issue, its server side, and has been aknowledged by the devs. In fact, the longer sleep bonus and upkeep times are a byproduct of the server lag issues, and are intended. 

It is a real issue. 

I'm on what amounts to the second rung of top tier internet (In other words, I pay over USD123 a month) in a rural nowhere town...and I get lots of Xanadu lag also. This isn't on our ISP...this is definitely the game's problem. They are currently fiddling with server polling in reference to food cooking over as a way to 'lower' the lag (At least that's their excuse). The lag is still just as bad as it was before in my personal opinion. I still get blips of it regularly.

Ok then maybe xanalag is true but with a 10mbps broadband in central europe I get nearly none so in some way it's personal.

Edited by Erevorn

Friend living 400km away and I get lag at the same time in our deed - can't be that personal really.

For those mentioning their internet speed, it's pretty irrelevant as Wurm likely uses a couple of KB/s at most. What will have the most impact is latency and packet loss.

Pinging the server could give you a general idea of how long a round trip takes for any message you sent to the server. I'm in The Netherlands and a ping to freedom007.game.wurmonline.com takes around 14ms for me. Doing a ping to a World of Tanks server on the US west coast results in a 144ms round trip, east coast was a 96ms round trip. Depending on where you live in the US it wouldn't suprise me if you hit 200ms or more, especially in (rural) areas further from where the cables connect the US to the EU.

If the server lags for 0.2 seconds then, with a round trip time of 100ms, it will generally take you 0.3 seconds to get a reply to whatever action you tried to do, while somebody in europe, like myself, would get a reply after 0.114 seconds, which we would barely notice and would be completely normal for the US person. If part of your message is lost along the way and has to be retransmitted (packet loss) then this costs you another round trip to the server, for us folks in the EU that barely takes any time, but it's a lot more noticable if you're in the US. That's why most online games have servers on both continents.

People in Europe will thus generally have a better experience since they are closer to the server. I for example barely notice any lag on Xanadu at all, except on the occassional day when it's really bad.

5 minutes ago, Eltaran said:

Friend living 400km away and I get lag at the same time in our deed - can't be that personal really.

400km is generally a couple of ms extra at best, you wouldn't notice much of a difference.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that for those in Europe, the lag is not as bad. As the above poster said, it has to do with latency. The server has its own issues, but living at the other side of the world compounds things, making lag + latency rather unbearable. It can be the reason why there is so much different opinions on the matter.