Sign in to follow this  
Fraeya

Please fix the lag on xanadu

2 minutes ago, Corsan said:

It took me over a week to pack and move TO Xan from Pristine (I had less then.), and also required hitching a ride to go back for my other boat

Unlike most folks, I don't run alts. It was a promise I made to myself before even starting this game due to my over-doing on other games...if I play Wurm, I won't alt. (I had a serious altitis problem before coming to Wurm. On the scale of multiple servers worth of characters.)

Even if I wanted to, I'd have to leave a lot behind. I still haven't built any buildings since I came back, so technically I could uproot myself, but I have x7 BSB worth of stuff + 3 FSB + wagon + cart + a bunch of other items that require loading. I've done LOADS of work making a beautiful coastal spot how I want it. Last time I left behind 2 cogs and a corb and a rowboat, and had to travel back to sell the corb. The cogs + rowboat just went boom. My last break ate a knarr also, but I luckily had 2 because of some jerk following me around harassing me so I couldn't sell the last knarr. So I have a caravel and a knarr and a rowboat now. This game doesn't make it 'easy' to move on, unless one wants to start over. Some of us don't want to, as we've worked hard to get where we are.

I'd probably have to spend hours just looking for a similar spot on another server too. (It took 2 WEEKS of sailing all over Xan to find what I found here.)

That's the kind of time investment you're asking people for here. Rather than them fixing the lag problem.

I will lead an army of alts to help you move. :P

First off, I'd like to say that I think it highly unlikely CC would take seriously any suggestion to shut down Xana, so the debate about shutting it down is probably moot.  At least I would sure hope so.  The fact that Xana has so many people who have decided to tough it out and have continued to put time, effort, and love into their neighborhoods & communities, argues that it would be a bad decision and not in anyone's best interest.

With that said, it's very easy to say yes to uprooting others and "force" them into unwanted situations when it's not you who would be uprooted and "forced" into anything.  I would think that those who want to leave Xana have either already done so, or are planning to do so.  Logic alone would argue that those who are still there, want to be there.

I'm just curious...(to those who think this is a good idea)..., if your server were to develop an ongoing problem that needed fixing would you be in favor of just shutting down your server and forcing you to move to another server, rather than fixing the problem?  If you didn't voluntarily leave and move elsewhere and didn't want to move, do you feel it would be justified to force you to?   Would you be advocating for such a drastic "solution" to the problem if it was you who would be uprooted by such an action and years of creating your ideal corner of Wurm would be lost?   I'm guessing maybe those who think Xanites should be forced into such a position are those who do not have any kind of attachments in game and therefore don't understand such an attachment, and/or are only thinking of their own wants of increasing the population of their own server and cramming people together. (people who moved to Xana largely to get away from that type situation in the first place, I'd wager)  **shrugs**

Hey, I have a scathingly brilliant idea!!  Let's shut down all the other freedom servers and "force" everyone to move to Xana.  We have plenty of room for everyone. Then they can concentrate on just fixing Xana and there would be no dissenting opinions on it.  /endsarcasm

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Amadee said:

I'm just curious...(to those who think this is a good idea)..., if your server were to develop an ongoing problem that needed fixing would you be in favor of just shutting down your server and forcing you to move to another server, rather than fixing the problem? 

If shutting down my server meant a pop boost to the rest of the game, yes, I'd deal with it. I'd leave both servers. 

Anyways though, this is a completely moot point. Xan isn't going anywhere, I think most people here just like to have something to debate about. :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amadee said:

First off, I'd like to say that I think it highly unlikely CC would take seriously any suggestion to shut down Xana, so the debate about shutting it down is probably moot.  At least I would sure hope so.  The fact that Xana has so many people who have decided to tough it out and have continued to put time, effort, and love into their neighborhoods & communities, argues that it would be a bad decision and not in anyone's best interest.

With that said, it's very easy to say yes to uprooting others and "force" them into unwanted situations when it's not you who would be uprooted and "forced" into anything.  I would think that those who want to leave Xana have either already done so, or are planning to do so.  Logic alone would argue that those who are still there, want to be there.

I'm just curious...(to those who think this is a good idea)..., if your server were to develop an ongoing problem that needed fixing would you be in favor of just shutting down your server and forcing you to move to another server, rather than fixing the problem?  If you didn't voluntarily leave and move elsewhere and didn't want to move, do you feel it would be justified to force you to?   Would you be advocating for such a drastic "solution" to the problem if it was you who would be uprooted by such an action and years of creating your ideal corner of Wurm would be lost?   I'm guessing maybe those who think Xanites should be forced into such a position are those who do not have any kind of attachments in game and therefore don't understand such an attachment, and/or are only thinking of their own wants of increasing the population of their own server and cramming people together. (people who moved to Xana largely to get away from that type situation in the first place, I'd wager)  **shrugs**

Hey, I have a scathingly brilliant idea!!  Let's shut down all the other freedom servers and "force" everyone to move to Xana.  We have plenty of room for everyone. Then they can concentrate on just fixing Xana and there would be no dissenting opinions on it.  /endsarcasm

I think if the people you're talking to could imagine their server being shut down, they wouldn't be suggesting Xanadu be closed in the first place.

I suspect a lot of people calling for anything to be shut down are just looking to get a rise out of others.  I feel bad they're so bored.  It must be terrible.

430ish players in Wurm when I logged in last night, 130 of them on Xanadu.  I've never seen a shred of suggestion from anyone resembling a dev that Xanadu's demise was anywhere on the horizon.

I do think that since the devs are fully aware of what the lag looks like, they might want to take Xanadu off newbie-rotation.  It doesn't bode well for new players to experience that, as others have mentioned.  Troublesome for alts, so maybe a one-time cross-server teleport by a Xanadu mayor.  The alt can be born on any server, and then immediately hop to Xanadu if need be.

Anyway, I've heard you reference Xanites before... I always thought we were Xaniacs?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Reylaark said:

Anyway, I've heard you reference Xanites before... I always thought we were Xaniacs?

Hehe, I like that.  My new favorite self-description.  Xaniac Extraordinaire!!   :wub:

• Like 1

Given the new influx (for the rest of us) of (Xan) tags on CA HELP, I now lovingly call you Xananewbs :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I think if the people you're talking to could imagine their server being shut down, they wouldn't be suggesting Xanadu be closed in the first place.

I suspect a lot of people calling for anything to be shut down are just looking to get a rise out of others.  I feel bad they're so bored.  It must be terrible.

430ish players in Wurm when I logged in last night, 130 of them on Xanadu.  I've never seen a shred of suggestion from anyone resembling a dev that Xanadu's demise was anywhere on the horizon.

I do think that since the devs are fully aware of what the lag looks like, they might want to take Xanadu off newbie-rotation.  It doesn't bode well for new players to experience that, as others have mentioned.  Troublesome for alts, so maybe a one-time cross-server teleport by a Xanadu mayor.  The alt can be born on any server, and then immediately hop to Xanadu if need be.

I disagree with your opinion of those of us who wouldn't mind seeing Xan shutdown(and Chaos reset for that matter).

However, I do really like your idea about the newb thing. +1

Edited by Matholameu
Typo

8 hours ago, Matholameu said:

If shutting down my server meant a pop boost to the rest of the game, yes, I'd deal with it. I'd leave both servers. 

Anyways though, this is a completely moot point. Xan isn't going anywhere, I think most people here just like to have something to debate about. :P

I'm pretty sure most people here are fed up of 3 years of lag and bad performance and a conversation with the developers about that in the hopes of getting some sort of resolution. It does seem however we have a lot of trolls with no real input on a server they don't live on.

If you have no constructive input, solutions or empathy, please refrain from posting, thank you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fraeya said:

I'm pretty sure most people here are fed up of 3 years of lag and bad performance and a conversation with the developers about that in the hopes of getting some sort of resolution. It does seem however we have a lot of trolls with no real input on a server they don't live on.

If you have no constructive input, solutions or empathy, please refrain from posting, thank you.

Fine. 

Spoiler

cadd36d74449d42fe3aa3693d30e00d9_one-day

• Like 3

Was the lag less when there were less wild creatures?

Not that I recall, but then there were lots more players too

2 hours ago, Fraeya said:

I have sympathy, I moved to Xan when it first opened and just recently gave up on the dev team ever fixing it.  It's been 3 years of "we are working on it but it's a complicated problem."  
It's my honest opinion that it would just be easier to move off Xan.  And I know it's a long and tedious process to move.   I ended up leaving numerous boats and tens of thousands of mats behind, and I bone headily forgot my moon metals(They'd been looted by the time I realized my mistake).   And leaving the deed behind that you spent years building can be heart wrenching.   But after a few weeks of not having to wait for doors and gates to open.  Of not having your boat go sideways, of the server not loosing your position, of not lagging out with a small army of trolls on your ass, of crops not taking forever to grow, you start missing what you left behind less.
It's up to you.   Keep listening to "we are working on it" and wait, and wait and wait.   Or cut losses and move.   It was hard to give up all I had built, but that's what I did, figured it was never going to get fixed so it was time to just give up and move.   Really the only good thing about Xan was all the lag made it harder to hit the fatigue wall, all that time spent waiting for stam to regen......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greyfox said:

It's my honest opinion that it would just be easier to move off Xan.  

I don't recall when we named "easier" as an achievement in Wurm. The only way they will make me move off Xanadu is if they make a new server that is twice as large :) 

• Like 4

If the lag is bad on Xanadu as it stands, imagine a server twice its size. It would be literally unplayable.

I remember someone made a post about splitting Xan in 4 servers. Essentially keeping the server deeds the same, but reducing the lag greatly. But it did not get so many positive responses back then :) 

There must be easier solution.. than to deal with buffer zones etc... and some odd situations.. like splitting a mountain, tunneling from S1 to S2.. and once you cross to S2.. there's no tunnel on the other side.. where do you spawn(spawn town:wacko:)?

Last major problem I remember was altar-domains that nearly killed the server.. and that was quickly fixed;), with it's own xana-solution..

whoever is outside EU should probably check this..(EU players wont be getting much effect but there should be slight improvement anyway)

Spoiler

2cbd081f141d4f2f8a5a20c0b385cace.png
Enable that, best if you have other settings above that 1 checkbox - leave them as they are on your end

Other than that... check and use this
http://www.leatrix.com/

Feel free to google for 'nagles algorithm' and leatrix, what they do, etc...
In short.. it only helps with your latency/ping for wurm and any other TCP game you might be playing.

* leatrix changes require restart to take effect;

how to check your latency..

In the search field at/nex to start menu.. type "Resource Monitor" and hit enter.. to get this:

65a4ba1bb2e7478295889de584832464.png
Go to network, or anywhere.. check the box for jp2launcher.exe(wurm's process) and either way.. go to network tab to be able to read the latency number at TCP connections section.

You want to ping stuff? sure.. Start>RUN>CMD> ping 148.251.21.199
or .. 1 of the 2  remote ip addresses you have listed there on your end

Do or don't check latency/ping before and after changes, also feel free to not do any of this, I don't care.. it's for these who want to try get better 'ping';)

• Like 1

I will try that when I get home. Xanadu lag is pretty atrocious for me. But my lag is Xanadu exclusive so I dont think it has to do with latency. Regardless I will try it. Unless I forget.

Thank you.

19 hours ago, Cista said:

I don't recall when we named "easier" as an achievement in Wurm.

True :).   I suppose I should have said something along the lines of "Easier to move before you end up disappointed after years of dev promises that amount to nothing."    I was going to say that the first time, but I held back, my posts tend to disappear when I express frustration with the dev team and their lack of fixing long standing issues.   But hey, they are fixing minor bugs, so that has to count for something.......

I have a feeling that Xanadu lag is a result of hardware limitations and not some kind of bug. Could this be possible?

15 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I have a feeling that Xanadu lag is a result of hardware limitations and not some kind of bug. Could this be possible?

If that was the case I'd say get better hardware. I have a feeling that it's software related limits though

Either way, if it hasn't been fixed in 3 years.. I wouldn't really hold my breath it will ever be fixed.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 7:16 AM, Kadmint said:

Everyone are talking about this lag... Never actually felt it unless the server is lagging and everyone else feel it too. Only lag I have noticed is near massive cities and structures -> read Amish Paradise - Sanctuary - Estates complex. :P But even that lag is not that bad I couldn't live with it.

Back on Pristine, I lived near the starter town.  Lag was bad there.  So when I got to Xanadu.  Felt like home. 

• Like 2

@rapidron

Pristine lag? 

definitely check the spoiler on my other post above.. (it's probably lag on your end)

On 23/5/2017 at 1:37 PM, Angelklaine said:

Is it fixed yet?

From what I understand, it has been in the works ever since the server was created, ongoing unending work of optimization. So I wouldnt expect a definitive fix for it, ever.