Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

GeForce GT 720

i'm looking at this for a vid card for my new pc, it will be an over the counter, as I know nothing about building pc's I used to do a lot of pc repairing old computers that I owned but I don't want to go through that that again, so will this be acceptable for wurm.

it's a 2gb

thanks

I jsut sold my old PC that had a Geforce gtx 750ti.  It played wurm just fine on minimal settings.  I'd imagine you'd do "alright" on minimal settings with a GT 720.  I'd personally recommend looking at another card.  Also, if your looking at a GT 720 then the PC your putting it in is most likely older now.  By chance, what Cpu do you have?  Wurm relies heavily on CPU. 

Where I'm going here is you may want to consider another PC before updating to an older graphics card... you won't see the performance boost I think you're looking for here.

My personal example:  Q9650 quad core 3.0ghz and gtx 750ti 2gb I ran wurm on low settings at 40fps, dropped to 20 or less in any town.  I bought a brand new PC, 3.2ghz 8-core and radeon rx 480 8gb card (equivalent to maybe a gtx 960-1050 I hear) and amazingly...could barely get 40fps.  Through tinkering with software settings, and using the unstable client I started getting around 50fps.  But again, in any town I dropped down to under 20 easily.  Only after overclocking my CPU to 4.0ghz can I get and remain around 55+fps.

TLDR:  If a GT 720 is an upgrade for your PC, you should think first about upgrading to a new PC as that 720 won't give you much/any performance boost in Wurm.   Also, check out unstable client if you haven't already.

Edited by Nomadikhan

I have a lowend GT640 2GB RAM, it runs quite okay with render distances set to Extreme and even with some shadows on. It will of course have problems when there are many others and when running 2 or more clients there but tuning down settings help.

my current box is a core i3 8gb ram and 4gb amd radeon r9 200 series, I  bought it 4 years ago, but it's only really started playing up the past couple of months,

the new box i'm looking at is an acer it's a core i5 with the gt720 dedicated. I have a laptop here that runs a core i5 with a 2gb NVidia card in, and runs it quite well, I may not end up getting the acer I may end up getting a gaming machine,.. but we'll see. i'm trying to keep it below 1000au but I don't like my chances.

2 words.. I mean.. URLs
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
https://pcpartpicker.com/

do not look only at the GBs.. that's just memory..
price / performance... somebody recently mentioned to me something about a site with score or measurement for that 2... as in... what's best to buy.. for the given price range.. but I cant really remember anything about that ^^', if anyone remembers such url throw it at oz's direction:ph34r:

• Like 1

720 is a very, very low end card. It's better than an intel on board gpu (mostly because the drivers are less ######), but don't expect to be able to play on above minimal settings.

If you can spare a bit more money, look for a 1050, it's still very cheap but will give you about 5x the processing power.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozmods said:

i'm trying to keep it below 1000au but I don't like my chances.

For 1000au you can get much, much better than a 720.

http://cplonline.com.au/graphics-cards/nvidia-graphics-cards/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gt-lp-4gb-graphics-card.html

For comparison, that's the newest line of GTX cards, albeit the lowest end of it... but for $225 aus, that's way below your budget of $1k.

http://cplonline.com.au/graphics-cards/nvidia-graphics-cards/gigabyte-geforce-gtx1060-6gb-graphics-card-n1060ixoc-6gd.html

Even a 6gb 1060 is only $359...

If you really wanted to stretch your budget of $1k, you could possibly even get this:

http://cplonline.com.au/graphics-cards/nvidia-graphics-cards/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-g1-gaming-graphic-card-gv-n1070g1-gaming-8gd.html

http://cplonline.com.au/cpu/intel-i5-7600k-3-8g-6mb-4core-cpu-processor.html

Just over $900 for high end CPU and GPU (i7 really isn't need for gaming), will last 5+ years on max settings (at 1080p anyway).

Assuming you already have a case, or don't mind skimping a bit on it (2nd hand maybe) You could complete your build just over $1k after including RAM and PSU etc.

Maybe even less than $1k if you find a website with a good deal or cheaper prices... this was just the top result on google for 'Australian PC parts' to get an idea of prices.

Edited by Gekko

In Tasmania, you might check into this guy who sounds like a computer-savvy youngster offering to build computers for people at a limited price, and maybe located not too far from you? He also sounds like he will upgrade your current desktop for a $50 fee (parts not included). So if you are not eager to do the actual building, he can assemble or upgrade for you. You can probably ask him for local references:  ""Low end gaming PC's starting from $530 and up including all parts windows all ready to plug and play, Medium end gaming PC's starting from $750 and up including all parts windows all ready to plug and play,High end gaming PC's starting around $950""     Of course it is more risky than buying from a "professional" custom builder  but I bet you end up with something better than a chainbrand PC with a GT720 (which as bdew points out, is only slightly better than intel integrated graphics), Or just pay him $50-plus-parts to fix whatever-is-wrong with the desktop you have now. 

Another option is to check ebay.au for something like this, you'd still have shipping costs from melbourne, but I can''t believe its going to cost that much to ship a computer from melbourne to tasmania. I checked this page and it estimated about $40-$70AU to send a computer from melbourne to hobart.  You are still way below budget for a pretty nice system. (Hard drive is too small but that is a cheap fix, as 1TB hard drives are under $70 even in Australia)   Another used gaming system here well under your budget and located not too far (Olinda Grove, Mount Nelson, Tasmania).

Or -- just get a better videocard for the Acer system.  As said, you are much much MUCh better off buying a GOOD 1gb videocard than a lowend cheap 2gb card -- computer parts people make those with cheap SLOW ram especially for people who do not know that vram on a grpahics card is one of the LEAST important factors when buying. Any of these would be fine: GT650, GTX750ti, GTX1050. Avoid the GT720. I list the older GT650 only in case you run across one supercheap second hand. Rule Of Thumb: Usually the last digits give a clue as to the card's intended market audience -- a x20 series card is for office/home but not gaming, a x50 is for budget gaming, a x70 or higher is for highend gaming,. So, a NVidia 750 is decent, a 720 is not meant for gaming, They sound close, but they are not. Much much better to get a 1GB 750 than a 2GB 720. Those are for web browsing and running Microsoft Office. Also get something ABOVE an nvidia 400 series card, as the older ones like GTX275 are gaming cards but will no longer run newer DirectX 11 games. The GTX1050 is an excellent new card that can usually be found between $100-$200AU "even in australia". But there are decent cards under $100, just avoid the GT720 as it's not meant for gaming.

For quick reference/comparison of graphics cards, you can also check the gaming graphics card hierarchy chart at tomshardware (GT720 not listed as it is not a gaming card -- be wary of cards not even on this chart). You can look for a card that you know is decent then try to stay at or above that tier. For instance, check where your Radeon R9 is listed and try to stay close to the same tier level or better.

I think we have about 3-4 different threads going now on different computer hardware upgrade options available to you? I am not clear why another new one was needed... I tried to suggest more "mainstream" options in some of those. It might be nice to ask a moderator if they can merge it all into one single thread so that we don;t keep recommending the same advice over and over.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

For those that were posting simply to go for a high end graphics card... OP beware you'll want to ensure you also purchase a PSU (power supply) that is rated to handle it.

• Like 2

As Brash mentioned, you can pay someone local $50 to build a PC for you.

If you want to save yourself $50 and use it to buy a better part / new mouse or something, have a quick look on YouTube at building it yourself.

I see you said you used to repair old computer systems and didn't want the hassle anymore.

The hassle is gone.

Basically everything is just "Plug and Play".

A complete novice who knows how to use a screwdriver to open their case (no even needed in most cases) and a pair of scissors to open the boxes can build a PC in 30 minutes. Just get some cable ties and push the cables out of the way... you really can't go wrong, unless you either forget to install a part or... uhh, forget to turn the socket on at the wall lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, most of the cards i mentioned (GTX 650 750 1050 series) are all extremely low power options, they get all the power they need direct from the PCI-E slot with no additional power cables, so they should run ok even on a chainbrand PC (which usually have miserable power supplies in them). Most of these do fine on a generic 300W PSU.

I can sympathize with not wanting the hassle of rebuilding yourself, even though it is "easy" if everything goes right, it's very often that something goes funky. I have been building PCs since the 1990s and frankly, I don't really like doing it much any more myself either :P  Assembly has not changed that much in the last 5-10-15 years, though at least you don't have to worry about jumpers much any more. Saying all you need is a screwdriver and 30 minutes is a little simplistic. You need to know some basics and even then things can get tricky. Just rebuilt mine & my boyfriends and I usually figured a complete rebuild will usually eat up most of a day if everything goes smoothly. Most of that is after I verify the motherboard, cpu, ram and gpu are all in and seated correctly and getting the power correctly --just getting the correct drivers for our Creative X-Fi cards took me far longer than 30 minutes, since the ones on the Creative site refused to recognize our X-Fi cards). Meantime you often don;t know whether you have dead hardware or what the frick is going on. You often need at least one other computer around to look stuff up on the internet, maybe more than one if you need to swap parts back and forth to verify which part is causing an issue. You also have to figure out all those little connectors that plug into the motherboard for USB, front power, speakers, etc, and even though half of them you can just leave unconnected with a shrug ("whatever"), knowing which half are important and where they go is harder than it sounds (for instance, the ASUS motherboard manual I had was for my model but did not match the actual board connectors for those little plugs).you need to know what color wire means "grounded" and what "grounded" even means. You need to know how much thermal paste is too much or too little. You do NOT want to be forcing anything that could bend a cpu pin or breaking a plastic clip on gpu/ram slots You need to know how pairs of ram work for dual channel (sometimes it is slots 1&2, but sometimes they are alternate slots 1&3 etc for matched pairs.) You need to read unreadable fine print on the boards .. and to know what fine print you are even looking for.

It's a GREAT option for people who want the intense satisfaction of building themselves, and I would certainly encourage anyone interested to give it a go, but you also need to be able to stay focused, and i suspect you are like me, in that staying focused on a 70 page manual is harder than it is for others.  Just sheer discipline and willpower is not as easy as it sounds. So .. I can relate on preferring someone else do that part. And $50 to a baby geek is a terrific investment in those cases. 

plus .. i always drop the little itty bitty screws (except for highend screwless systems, you still need those in most builds). And I hate all CPU fans even the so-called "easy" ones, which never seem to clip on as easy as they are supposed to.  ) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Yeah, most of the cards i mentioned (GTX 650 750 1050 series) are all extremely low power options, they get all the power they need direct from the PCI-E slot with no additional power cables, so they should run ok even on a chainbrand PC (which usually have miserable power supplies in them). Most of these do fine on a generic 300W PSU.

^^ Indeed, tech has come a long way from those need a 750watt supply days.

If the OP's PC is as old as it sounds (where a 720 is an upgrade) most likely his PSU is original to that PC.  We all know PSU's degrade over time and the increase in power draw can cause them to fail.  I simply want people to be aware of all aspects of upgrading.  Seen it happen a few times.

Edited by Nomadikhan

His original PC had a Radeon R9 200 series for graphics, so not that old and the GT720 is no upgrade. I think he just was not sure how to fix whatever-issues-it-had and decided a new system would be less headache, and a 2GB "720 Something Something" sounded better than 1GB "200 Something Something", all of the parts though sounded fine and he tried I think reinstalling windows a few times.

This is where a $50 local geek can be your best investment. 

• Like 1

the post that brash_endeavours and the link therein, doesn't tell you that you have to buy a copy of win10 on top of the tower this is why I looked at this new acer because It comes as a package and I don't need to do any more fiddle faddling around with installations and what not. I have become quite accustomed to not having to have install disks upto the wazoo..

as It stands right now i'm still thinking whether or not to even buy a new system. I just wanted some opinions on the 720, but the consensus is it's ######. my laptop has a 840m in it. and it's a 2gb so it seems even my laptop is better than the acer I was looking at...

just spoke to a local crowd and they are going to give me a call back, looks like i'll get a 1050 on an amd quad core with 250gb SSD with win10 installed for around 1200$

waiting for a quote call back

• Like 1

it's not clear which link you meant from me, since over the course of several threads I have given many, but in this one yes you do have to buy windows as one of the "parts", that is ALWAYS the case with custom built systems (since some people either install linux or their own copy of windows),  but that is part of the bundle prices he is quoting for "all parts windows all ready to plug and play"  for $530-$950 gaming systems.  .Frankly, his prices for buying a copy of windows are sooo low   "Also have windows 10 64bit for $50 fully installed and activated. ($40 if purchased with PC builds)"   that i am not sure how he does it so cheap, though I know some PC builders often qualify for a discount. Are you sure you asked him WHAT he charges for windows or only got discouraged to find that the operating system was one of the "parts"? Or did not actually check? (which is fine, you do not have to check every single lead from everywhere-and-everyone, sooner or later you just have to go with gut instinct, as long as its backed up by some solid data.)

Anyway I am glad you seem to have finally made a decision. Hopefully the "AMD quadcore" is one of the newer/better AMD quadcores, as my daughter has a desktop AMD quadcore that does not meet minimum system reqs for newer games, so not all "quadcores" are created equal.  

Here is a reference chart on gaming CPUs to get an idea of where specific CPUs fall on the charts for gaming etc. You probably do not want the top couple tiers as they are way over your budget, but you also don;t want to end up too far down that ranking. You don't want to end up with one of the "discount quadcores" in the same rankings as the Celerons, so if the quadcore starts getting ranked as same tier as a celeron, you probably need a stronger CPU for gaming. You migth ask the guy with the $1200 system "which specific quadcore cpu" then check it on that ranking chart. Probably the 4th or 5th tier down are all fine.  See also how much ram you are getting with the system (although that is usually cheap and easy to upgrade yourself, so long as they dio not have all of the ram slots filled with lower GB sticks). 

Just like the GT720, some quadcores are designed for home/business machines and not for gaming, just like not all Intel cpus are good simply because they are intel.  But it sounds like a good buy if the CPU matches the 1050 videocard and SSD hard drive.

Consider looking at the driver software as well.

For example Nvidia tends to be the better of the two (when compared to AMD) at supporting OpenGL (open source gfx technology that Wurm uses as opposed to say Microsoft's ActiveX).

One can still play Wurm on AMD with their latest drivers.

My current sh#tbox has and card inside i thought about taking that to thew machine, but thought better of it, i just hope this one, will work the way its intended and not lag me to death, like wurm is on the old computer. 

If you want a cheap but powerful GPU for Wurm I hardly recommend some GTX version.

The best choice currently might be the GTX 750 Ti or the GTX 1050. Both are very cheap and powerful.

Edited by Sklo:D