Sign in to follow this  
Corvan

Ghost of the Wilds

((it has been a very long time sense I have written a story here for Wurm. My last completed story was One man Outpost which took quite a few years to write and is still here on these very forms for those who have yet to read it. It is rough at first..but promise it does get better over time. :). Here is something I have toyed with for awhile now))

For generations the Small military city of West March has been the last bastion of civilization, Protection of the wild tribes and roaming creatures of the Wild lands. Here this small but well defended city has lasted under hundreds of small to large scale attacks of the wild tribes of The Horde of the Summoned. But for the last ten years..something worse then trolls, or roaming bands of Wild tribesmen.

Garen sighed heavily as he sat down within his rocking chair. A balding older male with very few whips of grey hair to his head. He was still a large and well built man which spoke to his years of military service and fierce combat. The scars across his hands and face spoke to that testament. It was not Garen's old age that caused him to sigh. It was his grandchildren. Still full of energy and it was past their bed time. "Layla..Suren..get to bed!"He barked in a loud gruff voice. It was then the children realized Papa was not playing anymore. Layla had her mothers raven black hair and deep green eyes, at only the age of eight she was growing tall already..a trait of her father no doubt. While Suren was only seven with short brown hair of his father. 

"But Papa we are not tired!"Grah..alright how about a story to help you relax" Their eyes lit up like Kyara trade square on a weekend. "Yes!..but no more stories about James..or your adventures..We..we..we want a scary story!" They both grinned and nodded as they jumped into their beds. "Alright alright..you asked for it..so don't go whining to your parents when you get scared"He looked down at them with his gruff serious look. They only giggled.

Moving a chair between the beds, he sat down hearing the small chair creak lightly."Alright..tonight..I will tell you about..The Ghost of the Wilds" Rolling his neck slightly to feel it pop some.

"Years ago...When i was younger..About your fathers age..Still serving with the Militia to protect West March..me and a squad of lads had to go out into the woods..Strange lights were reported in the tree line..greenish lights..ducking in and out of the trees..chanting could be heard too..Although it was faint..almost a whisper."The children were silent as they listened intently, Eyes filled with wonder as Garen looked between the two of them as he told the story. "What happened next Papa!" cried Suren when he stopped for too long. 

"Alrighty..settle down..Well..we went into the woods..about twenty of us..found some foot prints..they were human..So we went deeper and deeper into the woods..What was strange about this though..No goblin hoards to challenge us..No wandering trolls..not even birds..the forest was quiet..and that forest was never quiet for long..but it was..quiet..so quiet we could hear each other breathing as we walked and walked..for hours. "Taking a moment to breath, Garen continued. "After three hours..we found wheel tracks headed down a small hill..like a hunting trail i showed you both last month..We came upon the wagon that made the tracks..It was torn apart and covered in blood..but no bodies. " At the mention of blood both children went "Ewwwww!" But Garen continued after hushing them up.

"We followed the trail that was left..into a cave..Thats when we smelled it..the smell of death..but we went into the cave..The Horde was near..a dead sentry was just inside..So we went further into the cave..quietly..thats when we found them..Cultists of the Horde..doing some kind of ritual..Green lights..skulls..their priest in the center chanting with a dagger. We were about to charge..but we were to late..Something happened." It was then he noticed the children had gone quiet as they listened. They wanted a scary story..so he gave them one.

"The priest..was grabbed by..something and thrown into the ceiling..he didn't come back down..just drops of blood..I looked back and that is when i saw it..A ghost..it was pale like snow..and see through..it almost looked human..but it was more like a creature..black eyes and no teeth..but long sharp fingers and claws..it ripped and slashed at the cultists..till it saw us and then..it screamed." Layla started to scoot under her covers more. "It was a roar unlike anything i have ever heard..loud..unnatural..and full of hate..it roared like a heard of trolls. and dragons all in one and came right at us." Suren squealed and ducked under the covers for a moment before poking his head back out. 

Garen continued "It chased us..and grabbed a few of our lads..But once we were out..it didn't follow us. Only three of us didn't make it out..but we did not know until we stopped for a breather..We kept running the moment we were out of that cave. We got back here to home just before nightfall..the Captain demanded to know what happened. As Squad leader..i started to explain..but then we heard the roar..or a scream..loud..so loud as if the Red dragon it self was roaring at the city." He looked to Suren. "it followed us home." We all came rushing to the walls to see this thing come flying out of the woods like a arrow..fast right for the walls as if it wanted to kill us all!" they both ducked under the blankets with squeals. "But it stopped..by a shower of sparks..the wall..the city was protected by The Three, as well as our priests." They did not need us to explain..it was right there..and now to this day..those who enter the woods at night..with no protection..are never seen again.." Garen nodded to them both with a small smile and a haunting look at them both. Before standing to blow out the candle light.

"Papa..is that a true story?" Layla asked quietly. "What? No dear Layla..its just a story..It is only a story. Go to sleep and rest..you have a busy day tomorrow"Garen said with a small sweet smile to his granddaughter. Garen turned and blew out the candle light before retiring to his own room. Moving to lay down in his bed, Garen remembered that day to the second..It was a story..but it was a true story..to those who have lived it. No one has heard a scream from those woods for over a year now. "Just a story.."he whispered to him before rolling to his side to fall into a deep sleep. Knowing that the Roar..will never come again.

• Like 2