Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

You cannot improve the item with that - Leather item

While working on a headstall and reins, both reached a leather improve.  When I select a leather and try to improve I get the message:

[15:51:44] These are the leather straps that go around a creatures head in the bridle used to direct it. It could be improved with a leather.

[15:51:58] Thin leather reins, used together with a bit and headstall to direct a creature. It could be improved with a leather.

[15:52:11] You cannot improve the item with that.

Items are less than 20q and the leather is 69q,  I tried 5 different pieces of leather, but I get the same message.  

I then decided to go ahead and create the bridle and tried to improve it with a leather.  

[15:54:42] These thin leather reins, headstall and metal bit should be put on the head of a creature to direct it. It could be improved with a leather.

[15:55:15] You cannot improve the item with that.

I am either doing something wrong or this is a serious leatherworking bug.

The leather I used came from a magic chest.  That's the only thing I can think is "special" about the materials.

Update:  I decided to create some leather from hide.  No difference.  I get the same message that the items cannot be improved with leather.  I even made a leather hat and had the same issue.

ok, I was able to get it to work.  I took the leather and placed it on a slot on my toolbelt.  Activating the toolbelt slot enabled me to improve the hat.

So, double-clicking the leather in my inventory and trying to improve that way failed.   But doing it from the toolbelt worked.

Edited by Eyesgood

[22:46:48] These thin leather reins, headstall and metal bit should be put on the head of a creature to direct it. It could be improved with a leather.

[22:47:01] You start to improve the bridle.

Try using leather from a BSB ?

I did.  Basically, the bug has to do with double-clicking on the leather in your inventory then right clicking and trying to improve.  It wont let you.  But if you put the leather on the toolbelt and select it there, it works fine.

Do you by chance use the improved improve mod?

Leather has same icon as a pelt. The mod will switch your tool when you use improve (even with the right item activated), and if it finds a pelt before the leather on the toolbelt it will try to use that instead (and fail).

bdew,

I believe you have solved it.  I did have a pelt on my toolbelt and I do have that mod.  Thanks for posting.