Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Allow players to vote on new / modified features

I think the new updates and features that the devs work on should be subject to a vote by players. I get that bug fixes obviously need to be done, but for new features or modifying existing features, it would be nice if there could be a list of all suggestions and let players vote on which ones they want the most. For example:

Which of these would you like to happen the most in the next few months?

1. Cooking system redone

2. New materials for houses

3. New highway system

4. Almanacs

5. Changed mechanics for fighting creatures

6. Breeding system redone

7. More statues and colossi

8. Updates to the web shop

9. Animals crossing server borders

etc.

The progress and updates are really great, and it's good that the suggestions and ideas forum is obviously being read, but it'd be nice to have a say over which ideas are picked up and which aren't. I feel like some ideas have hundreds of +1s and are ignored for years, while others have a positive but relatively smaller response and those ones are chosen to be implemented.

Personally, I was surprised that equipped unicorns and colourful hell horses happened before animals could cross server borders. Both ideas were popular, but they had nowhere near the support or the years of players asking for the feature that animals crossing server borders have. I feel confident that if we are allowed to vote, that'll help the devs address the issues that are most important to the people who are playing Wurm.

I'm sorry Attenia but I have to -1 this.

I get where you're coming from, but ruling by committee is very rarely a good idea.  We, as players, do not necessarily know what is going on behind closed doors.  For instance, implementing unicorn gear has very different implications than cross server animal crossings both from a gameplay standpoint and a technical standpoint.

As you said, these suggestion threads are clearly seen and considered by the devs.  I have not encountered any gaming company that so readily involves themselves with player suggestions the way CCAB does. 

Even within the development team itself, the buck has to stop with someone.  The game needs a unified, concentrated vision and way forward.  I believe we get that from Budda and his team... our team... as we the players are already heavily involved in many aspects.

They readily acknowledge feedback, even on previously deployed features.  They not only take feedback moving forward, but actively request it.

However, ultimately, they are the ones in charge of what, when, how, and why.  They are in the best position to handle that.  We should let them handle it.

Just my 2i

• Like 4

well all that was already voted and suggested before

Popular ideas do not translate into priority ideas.

There's a lot of work going on in the background, and each new thing we introduce has technical work we have to approach. Aside from that, it also requires us to make decisions about balance, a broad overview of the game and its direction, and a dozen other factors.

Suggestions and discussions on the forum are great ideas for inspiration, and gives us a slight view of what is popular or desired by those who do go on the forums, but it's no the be all and end all of the decision, and we need to take a lot of other things into consideration

• Like 2

-1 to blackmailing devs for changes/content with votes...

you could ask for maybe.... a statement from devs about certain topics.. after X amount of votes:unsure:

---offtopic---

lib colossus on freedom is still a dream

-1 from me to, we shouldn't have any right, expecialy those with limited techical knowledge to decide faith of the game. And i don't know why people give that right that easy to them. It's enough already that they give us oportunity to speak and suggest. It's not ok to force your personal ideas to someones else work and property, you van only like it or dislike it

heh, we are ultimately voting with our credits cards, the only question CCAB have to ask themselves if they don't want the players input is how many more of us they can drive away before sinking what's left of the ship.

(and yah, i see people leaving over bugs like affinities impossible to reach with the new cooking update, cared for animals dieing - like all of them, bugs abuse, breach of trusts / permissions system, removal of fountain pans, nerf to traders and so on).

Voting ingame might be an interesting option, knowing that we shouldn't force our will or ideas on the devs, but they shouldn't push the game in a totally opposite direction as well. Wurm Online is made by the community, with Wurm Unlimited and many similar games out on the market, the community is what tie most of us together here. Keeping the player base happy should remain the priority and that involve listening to the feedback of many (and not only the lil vocal crowd)

-1 from me too.

The last thing any game needs is Mob-Rule, or I should say Alt-Rule.  But even without alts, if that would even be possible, there's an old saying about Too-Many-Cooks-Spoil-the-Soup that I think is very applicable here.

CC is far more responsive to our input than most games out there, and for that I thank them.  They don't always listen, hehe, but then we don't always know the reasons something is the way it is, or why it won't/can't be changed or implemented, so our opinions are sometimes formed with incomplete or incorrect information or simply based on our personal wants. 

We have the forum to make our opinions known but to try making the result of votes/opinions be the way decisions are made would be a huge mistake in my opinion.  I can only imagine the horrific mish-mash of conflicting *features* that would result and the scathing condemnation of the devs, from all sides of every argument, when they're unable to integrate everything.

• Like 1

All the responses above are good, now all I have to do is agree with them to -1 this idea.

• Like 1

If the only option is "Devs stop treating WO like your own personal WU server and adding content that feels like half baked WU mods."   Then I say sure, lets vote.   Any other options though and I gotta -1 this.  I'm not exactly impressed with how development has gone for the last year or so, but I still have far more faith in the dev team then I have in players voting the right way.

• Like 3

Feedback is valuable, but that doesn't mean, that development should become a popularity contest. There are always things, that are not so popular, but are necessary changes.

• Like 1

Great idea! (as long as the vote totals are given no consideration). Maybe just have polls created with those little dots to press and the results kept secret for the Devs to consider without recording the results. Saves time.

=Ayes=

Seen it before... but do devs track that?

I find if a bit weird(annoying) to use another site for the votes, system's fine tho.