header.png

Trollwood Keep - Amadee

HI Everyone!

This week we touch on some more content coming in the next update, with the almanac! There's also info on CA help for the Epic cluster, so why are you still reading this?  

The almanac

almanac.png
An ages old tool for farmers and other crop growers, an almanac is a calendar with important information such as tides, astronomical data, seasons and crops. For Wurm, it will be used to check up on when bushes, trees and trellises will bear fruit! 

harvest.jpg

That's right, you'll be able to keep a record telling you when every harvestable item is ripe, and for how long it will be ripe. 

The almanac will require studying a bush, tree or trellis during its harvest season to collect the information on it, and skill will determine just how much information you can collect and ql of the report will determine how far in the future you can see harvest times. These reports are then stored inside the almanac.

Once collected, anyone may use the almanac to check on harvest times and read up on information about the reports they have stored inside. You can even check with a handy command of /almanac (You will need the reports in your almanac to see each harvest season though!)

The almanac will also include little bits of information on each harvested produce, with a definite Wurmian twist.

New Bushes

Those of you with a keen eye will notice something in the above picture, and that's three new harvestable bushes! Blueberries, Raspberries and lingonberries will become bushes that have their own harvest times, 

Epic CA help
This next update we'll be introducing a new CA help for epic, JK help, MR help, and HotS help! These help channels will be across all epic servers, but restricted to each kingdom, names will also not show the server tag, so you can still help while raiding!

It's the first step towards improving our support for new players on Epic, we'll have to wait for this to go live before testing (as we don't have 4 test servers to setup the scenario) and we'll continue to adjust anything we need to.

WU beta to live delays
Due to the last update, we'll be including some last minute fixes and tweaks in the beta, which will extend it to next week, this is to make sure we don't have to force another update our beta version before going to live, sorry about the delay, but delaying is smoother than a second update later on in case something breaks!

Caption this Winner
The winner of this weeks caption this is Mordraug! We couldn't go past this one

caption.jpg
They see me rollin' They cratin'

PvP updates

Ongoing PvP updates include continued balances and tweaks to the catapulting and siege weapons, and also a discussion on changes to how kingdom influence works on PvP servers. These projects are aimed at improving foundation mechanics as we take steps towards the larger overhauls, projects are in the works and we'll be looking at a bigger roadmap to show what is currently being worked on and what is being planned.

Check out the kingdom influence discussion here:

Community Content
This week I'd like to take a moment to put the spotlight on Wurmhole, who opened a thread offering to pay 1 months premium for five players, and asked others to nominate people. While I missed the pm about pizza (damnit!) I think this is an even better use of the income from this sale, and it's amazing to see Wurmians come together to recognise other players, new and old alike for their work in helping one another and I'd like to congratulate those who received the premium time, you've certainly earned it!

That's it for this week from us, there's more to come in the oncoming weeks before the big update, and we may just be saving the best for last! What is it? You'll just have to wait and see! Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 25

17 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

An ages old tool for farmers and other crop growers, an almanac is a calendar with important information such as tides, astronomical data, seasons and crops. For Wurm, it will be used to check up on when bushes, trees

OMG!!!!!

THANK YOU!

• Like 1

"looks back at discord" yea he's there still. Also, be sure to tell wolfey he's a pretty princess retro said he's not pretty. 

• Like 1

Can't be upset with new bushes ? 

Edited by Brew
Hit enter too fast heh
  • Like 1

The almanac will make seasons so much more manageable. I'm sure there's a few third party systems to track this stuff but an in-game item will make it much more convenient.

• Like 1

For the almanac, will we need to study each bush once, and then the almanac produced works forever?  Or does it just show the next season for a given plant, and then you need to study again after that season to see the next one?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wonka said:

For the almanac, will we need to study each bush once, and then the almanac produced works forever?  Or does it just show the next season for a given plant, and then you need to study again after that season to see the next one?

you study it and receive a report, that report lasts forever inside the almanac, ql  and skill of the writer will determine how much info it is and how far ahead you'll see it coming/ending

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

New Bushes

Those of you with a keen eye will notice something in the above picture, and that's three new harvestable bushes! Blueberries, Raspberries and lingonberries will become bushes that have their own harvest times, 

You added these, but not a coca tree or palm tree!

Almanac will be a nice feature

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

Will the almanac be based on forestry skill?

Surprised to see the age old berry types getting their own bush, any hope for seeing the same love in future for cocoa and woad? (or at least herb planter versions)

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 7

Almanac and berry bushes!!  Yes!!  I love it. 

The berry bushes are something a lot of people have been wanting and it's great that the Almanac will be incorporated into play and the skill system instead of just being a gimme with dry information.  :) 

Also love the pic of Trollwood.  (but then my opinion is biased on that one. hehe. Thanks. It was a labor of love.)

edit:  Agree with JakeRivers and Nadroj.  We need cocoa.  Chocolate is, after all, a food group.  :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

Mmm, RASPBERRIES! *does a happy dance*.

I'm also very happy to see Wurmhole's initiative made it in the news, it was a very generous gift offered to the community, and definitely very appreciated by those who got the silvers for premium.

Keep on cratin' .. I mean, wurming!

• Like 2

Hmmm.

mmm...

There is nothing to complain about.

• Like 1

Once collected, anyone may use the almanac to check on harvest times and read up on information about the reports they have stored inside.

Does this mean the info is server-wide, so that once one person gets a given piece of information, it's added to the almanac for everyone on that server?

If not, it might be a good idea, since the information can be freely shared anyway.

WU beta to live delays
Due to the last update, we'll be including some last minute fixes and tweaks in the beta, which will extend it to next week, this is to make sure we don't have to force another update our beta version before going to live, sorry about the delay, but delaying is smoother than a second update later on in case something breaks!

Sigh! Extremely disappointed! So can we expect a delay next week as well?

Almanac and new bushes - wooohooo!  :wub:

No more constantly missing olive season! I hope the berry bushes will look as great as I imagine them being.

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

Does this mean the info is server-wide, so that once one person gets a given piece of information, it's added to the almanac for everyone on that server?

If not, it might be a good idea, since the information can be freely shared anyway.

The almanac will be essentially a container to store reports, it's not server wide, it's player based and each player will need to fill it with reports. They can either collect their own or obtain them from others

• Like 4

I see hops in the list, means that there will be hops "bushes" or that this will work for trellis too?

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The almanac will require studying a bush, tree or trellis during its harvest season to collect the information on it, and skill will determine just how much information you can collect and ql of the report will determine how far in the future you can see harvest times. These reports are then stored inside the almanac.

It includes studying trellises.

• Like 1

really nice, can't wait till it's ingame

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The almanac will be essentially a container to store reports, it's not server wide, it's player based and each player will need to fill it with reports. They can either collect their own or obtain them from others

Will it count for things like season variances etc?  I think they vary? Or is it just hey you picked this day to be harvest day and it will use that day next wurm year even if it could be wrong?  How would it work on different servers which definitely have different harvest times?  Or once you studied it does it tell you when the server you're on specifically is ready?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Will it count for things like season variances etc?  I think they vary? Or is it just hey you picked this day to be harvest day and it will use that day next wurm year even if it could be wrong?  How would it work on different servers which definitely have different harvest times?  Or once you studied it does it tell you when the server you're on specifically is ready?

Ohh! What if each server was a different chapter of the almanac? Instead of having dates shift or vanish or a bloated list with Olives (Deliverance), Olives (Chaos), Olives (Xanadu), etc.

• Like 1

I love the almanac idea! Another great addition to Wurm. And the new bushes are perhaps even better. I really like adding more flora to the game and this will give our environments even more diversity. Well done.

Holy crap, something players have actually been asking for!    +1

Almanac!  Squee!!! 

RL has kept me away from even WU.... each time I look away from Wurm too long cool stuff gets added.. wonder what would happen if I went off the web for a few months...............

• Like 1