Sign in to follow this  
Eldurian

Simple suggestion to make birches not useless

There is no point to planting birch over any other type of woodbearing trees.

However birch syrup is a thing IRL.

Make birches give syrup like maples. They'd still be a bit less useful than maples because of the fact that maples are better for arrows but they'd actually be comparable in usefulness instead of just a trash tree.

1 hour ago, Eldurian said:

There is no point to planting birch over any other type of woodbearing trees.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wood

There is a point, but its not stressed enough. I believe your suggestion should related more to furnitures created by wood more than harvesting food related items. So

+1, only cause I like Birch.  All you birch hatin' birches can leaf. >:)   MURICA

Edited by Nomadikhan

3 hours ago, Yiraia said:

There is a point, but its not stressed enough. I believe your suggestion should related more to furnitures created by wood more than harvesting food related items. So

What is the point? The appearance? Appearance doesn't even show on most items anymore and when it did I didn't know many people intentionally using birch. The hot commodity back then was cherrywood.

51 minutes ago, Eldurian said:

Appearance doesn't even show on most items anymore and when it did I didn't know many people intentionally using birch.

That is what i said?

4 hours ago, Yiraia said:

most chairs, wardrobes, floor looms, and other wood crafted items are the same and should have different looks based off of woods. The addition of sap into birch trees is kinda... meh. There comes a point in the game were some people want to stop grinding and make their place look nice, and when that happens they hunt for the trees that offer them the wood they want ( at least thats what I do ). Dyes are crap in most cases.

Sorry but your wording made it very unclear what you were trying to say.

Point stands that almost nobody used birch for appearance even when those systems were in place on the vast majority of wooden items. Feels less like you are responding to my suggestion and more like you are trying to derail this thread to bring attention to your personal pet issue, and I don't appreciate that. There is no reason both of these things couldn't be done, but I don't think your suggestion is really very relevant to a type of tree nobody wants to use for appearance anyway.

Also given maple sap/syrup already exists my suggestion is mainly a cut and paste of existing code. It's not going to set back any other changes that could be done by trees by any significant amount. Especially when one idea is all code and the other would be 95% the art team's project.

Edited by Eldurian

In Sweden, where this game origins from, it is common to take birch sap in the spring to make a sort of wine.

Or to drink it as is.

• Like 1

Birch sap wine. That sounds really cool. I'd like to try some IRL but that would be a cool game item too.

In Alaska (where I am from) syrup is the main use I've heard of.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eldurian said:

Birch sap wine. That sounds really cool. I'd like to try some IRL but that would be a cool game item too.

In Alaska (where I am from) syrup is the main use I've heard of.

It's even beeing produced commercially:

http://www.sav.se/index

The sweetness in the sap is Xylitol

Edited by Cecci

14 hours ago, Eldurian said:

Point stands that almost nobody used birch for appearance even when those systems were in place on the vast majority of wooden items. Feels less like you are responding to my suggestion and more like you are trying to derail this thread to bring attention to your personal pet issue, and I don't appreciate that. There is no reason both of these things couldn't be done, but I don't think your suggestion is really very relevant to a type of tree nobody wants to use for appearance anyway.

Also given maple sap/syrup already exists my suggestion is mainly a cut and paste of existing code. It's not going to set back any other changes that could be done by trees by any significant amount. Especially when one idea is all code and the other would be 95% the art team's project.

Its not my personal pet issue, many people enjoy making their place looks nice. The recent large update was all about new looking buildings and fences :). Allowing birch to have sap does COULD be done but WHY have it be done. It will only be "the thing" in the moment. When the new cooking update came people were buying beehives like crazy for like 5 silver, and selling honey and other ingredients like mad. After some time most of those items either became less interesting because there were other simpler options. Allowing people to get sap from birch trees will just add a few more recipes to the hundreds of existing recipes. I viewed your suggestion as insignificant for the developers seeing that Maple already brings sap (which you stated clearly). And side note, saying that nobody wants to use birch for appearance is a strong statement. Anybody who likes the look of a bright-like wood would very much prefer using birch or pine. If you are a player who just grinds skill all day I don't expect you to understand, but a player who takes the time to make his place a beautiful sight would take everything into consideration.

Most of my furniture iare birch in rl, Birch is my favourite tree.

It is an awesome tree in so many ways,

and you can actually burn it while frozen,in the middle of the winter as long as you have something to start the fire with.

It has medical uses and can also be used to wash both clothes and people.

(Yep, birch branches are what the fins whip themselves with in their Sauna).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cecci said:

Why would they do such a thing! :o

I like how birch trees look in game.

+1 for more uses, and getting help for the fins!

Oak is more awesome personally. Followed by maple and willow in that order.

Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell

Edited by Klaa

4 hours ago, Cecci said:

I have done no such thing!:huh:

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 5:57 AM, Eldurian said:

my suggestion is mainly a cut and paste of existing code

cut and paste existing code is the worst thing you can do in programming :P 

• Like 3

When I moved off of Golden Valley I had an aversion to birch trees because that was almost the only tree type there of any quantity. Now I rather like planting them in certain areas just for the contrast they give to the surrounding forests (most wiped out now by Rifts). So to me trees mainly enhance the environmental effects visually. Any specific "uses" for them other than lumber (logs) are minimal anyway and mostly not worth the time invested for any of those minor benefits.

Say if they were to make birch bark able to be harvested for some specific use you can bet that the process would be so tedious only the most diehard amongst us would do anything with it. So naw, don't bother.

=Ayes=

On 2017-05-04 at 11:36 PM, Reylaark said:

Why would they do such a thing! :o

They do it to get clean ofc. (soap)

I like this idea - it adds variety to the game.  It also makes sap easier to get for players that may not have maple trees around them, or for whatever reason, may not want maple trees.  There is always the "if you don't like it, then don't use it" for people who don't like the idea of birch sap and associated recipes being added, but since it adds variety we should give it a chance.