Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

4 Years - 1 Spell

On 5/3/2017 at 4:10 PM, Yldrania said:

I don't even care what spells there could be, but the one thing that really bugs me is how the key spells of our original gods are now shared with player gods. Each god should have their own key spell, and I'd love to have that change made that these spells that make or break a god are only available for one deity.

A good example would be Genesis for Fo... Fo is essentially useless compared to Nahjo now, however if Nahjo had their own key spell, Fo would be back to its original use. 

IMHO the player god spell system is just exceptionally incomplete and needs a rework. New god should mean new spells, not some seemingly random combination of existing ones.

Agree with this

The player god system should have stayed in epic.  Its a f*uck up, theres no other way around it.  And adding spells is not going to fix it.

Despite what Finn says, wich is "-1 to priests", I still think that if spells are to be added, they should be made to assist priest in their daily lives. Granting them self suficiency.

Maybe on the drawingboard it looked like a nice idea, that the priest had to live within a community, but like most of those ideas, it was just horrible, and its about time its looked at again ,after so many years of Wurm, there is enough data on priests to make informed desicions.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

Misinterpretation...<_<

Your comments on every priest thread give lie to that.

• Like 2

The problem is, Finnn, that you utterly and completely miss the point. Is not that a priest cannot obtain materials with a little gold, anyone can. The problem is that the entire class is crippled as a main.

A follower doesnt need an altar for anything (other than maybe grinding that faith to become a priest, or to get that nifty but unnecesary follower buff), yet they can make a fully working wood or stone altar. Yet a Vynora or Fo priest cannot make the one item they absolutely and irrevocably need to play their class without the help of another player. Sure, they can ask in trade chat for someone to come make you an altar in center Xanadu and provide the gold to boot. Good luck with that. I tried to get someome to make Stickher's altars and couldnt, and he lives on Newspring's south coast.

Anything can be obtained with money, but that is not the focus of this argument. When the class itself is so crippled that it cannot perform basic survival functions, or even do the most basic functions of the class without the intervention of others, it needs a rework.

By the way, have you started that priest yet?

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

1)The problem is, Finnn, that you utterly and completely miss the point. Is not that a priest cannot obtain materials with a little gold, anyone can. The problem is that the entire class is crippled as a main.

2)A follower doesnt need an altar for anything (other than maybe grinding that faith to become a priest, or to get that nifty but unnecesary follower buff), yet they can make a fully working wood or stone altar. Yet a Vynora or Fo priest cannot make the one item they absolutely and irrevocably need to play their class without the help of another player. Sure, they can ask in trade chat for someone to come make you an altar in center Xanadu and provide the gold to boot. Good luck with that. I tried to get someome to make Stickher's altars and couldnt, and he lives on Newspring's south coast.

Anything can be obtained with money, but that is not the focus of this argument. When the class itself is so crippled that it cannot perform basic survival functions, or even do the most basic functions of the class without the intervention of others, it needs a rework.

By the way, have you started that priest yet?

1)It's not the 'entire class', not all priests are in the same pot, Fo is really beat up when it comes to doing things.... nachos for example.. can woodcut and mine, and work with that resources

from wiki..:

Priest penalties - for nahjo
Cannot Dig
 Cannot use Alchemy

Cannot Pave 

General priest taboos

Priests typically cannot do any of the following actions (any exceptions are listed in the table below). See the table below for details.

Improve, continue or destroy/bash items, walls or structures, or repair structures. However they are permitted to create and plan items and structures.
Dig or cut wood, pack dirt or pave.(not all are restricted to be unable to do all that, it varies) for nacho digging is the only taboo
Mine, prospect or tunnel. (none of this applies to nacho)
Use alchemy or make healing covers. (healing spell, prayers replace healing covers; alchemy.. is rarely skilled up by few anyway)
Cannot steal. (whatever for pve)

2) arent followers able to grind praying to get gems?(there could be a few odd.. followers begging their deity for free gems.. just have to get to ~40-50 prayer skill(or am I wrong?);

some followers need to remove and redo roads;   some fix decayed deeds and remove paving.. that wrecks player's faith, and for followers the 20.00 is a must.. to get the deity's passive bonus(vynora, mag, fo - skill/fs/heal..if I remember them correctly)

Yet a Vynora or Fo priest cannot make the one item they absolutely and irrevocably need to play their class without the help of another player.

From wiki: Vynora Priest penalties
Generic priest penalties.
Cannot dig.
Cannot use alchemy.
Cannot mine.
Cannot destroy pavement.
Cannot steal or destroy structures.

Vynora is famous with it's alightment hacks.. literally.. hacking 1 tree at a time.. to grind that back to 100, OP vs others.

No idea what item you're talking about.:huh:(harsh that 2 of 3 gathering skills are a taboo.. but.. old deities.. are hardcore)

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Sure, they can ask in trade chat for someone to come make you an altar in center Xanadu and provide the gold to boot. Good luck with that. I tried to get someome to make Stickher's altars and couldnt, and he lives on Newspring's south coast.

That's your one time.. unique experience, because you're in ......nowhere.. and nobody near you have skilled that or refuses to travel for 20copper or w/e that should cost. Did I mention that priests should be able to make at least 1 of the 3 altars? yes.. 

If you really wanted can you make on your own metal altar? yes... and you did say how you grinded Jewelsmithing to get that done.

You want to play alone in a mmo where the amount of skills dictates how much of that so valued by you... independency you could have. 

Do you see the problem?

I admitted several of the problems.. I'm not saying that all makes sense how it is.. but it's not my place to balance it, I was just forced to make fun of the absurd 'small changes' that make no sense in this world setup.

And no... I haven't made a priest because it's the opposite of what I want to be able to do.
I signed the other contract, gameplay with no magic, and ability to turn anything into anything.. with time and persistence.

--edit

It's not about the coins... your cons could force you to be more social or to at least exchange work for casts, etc.. just show that you exist there..  not to play alone and simulate a offline experience in a mmo. You keep using pronouns instead of the actual problems with priests like.. you can't name them, and when you do name a few.. they aren't that harsh or applying for everyone. But somehow.. you expect to be taken seriously with that half-talking about problems that are so important, but can't be named?

Chill about the reword.. changes were promised for this year.. just give some good food for thought, instead of blames, you'll get some of the changes if they are solid on the ground.. and not like the... barely good but sky-high idea for priest-summoner class summoning 3 tree golems and to buff them with spells additionally.. and oh .. righ AoE heal them with the same fo priest.. how's that not going to #### pvp with a new meta? impossible, right?

Edited by Finnn

Vynora cannot level jewelsmithing. Let me explain why. To level jewelsmithing you need minerals. Vynora cannot mine. /End of explanation.

Sure, Nahjo can both mine and cut wood. However, that is only 1 priest class of many, and I think the only priest who can do both. Are you saying that Nahjo should be the only priest out there? There is a reason Nahjo is considered op for such a long time. It is also a player god, which has its own colorful history of issues. It is also 1 out of all the priest classes by far.

As for the item, I can see why you dont know. You have no clue because you dont play a priest. Other than Nahjo, no priest out there can make an altar: you either cant mine, or you can mine but not light a forge. 

Yes I grinded Jewelsmithing, on my crafter not my priest.

Also let me correct you on some misconceptions there: 

You need faith to 50 to get gems from praying. Ergo, followers cannot get gems from praying.

You also do not get faith from praying outside an altar. This is a problem for priests who dont have altars. Which means you cannot get to 50 faith to get gems. Which again requires an altar.

Followers do not NEED faith. At all. Its a convenience. It gives you perks you can do without. You can grind any skill you want, do any action you want, go anywhere you want, live however you want, build anything you want. There is no limitations or penalties if you decide to not take up a faith. Whereas a priest CANNOT exist without faith. Faith is the #1 trait on a priest. Without faith you have no spells, no favor, no bonuses, no nothing. Without faith you are not a priest. That is the difference between a want and a need. Without a statuette and an altar you are nothing more than a normal joe with a bunch of penalties imposed upon you. And guess what? Both are items that with the exception of Nahjo, no other priest can make without help.

That is why Priests cannot be mains. That is why in your vision of Wurm there would be no priests. That is one single problem priests encounter. Not all priests can heal. Yet they are unable to make alchemy items such as a farmer's salve, or a healing cover, which means those priests are unable to heal internal wounds and recover after a fight with some Valrei mobs. They rely on other players to do a basic need (and I mean basic, everyone relies on someone else for advanced tasks).

You continue to miss the point, Finnn. Everyone can have a priest. Its a great class and very useful, and can provide with hours of entertainment... as an alt. Having a secondary character priested is great and super convenient. However as it stands currently, you cannot main it reliably. Those who have a priest as their only character are forced to live on villages and are completely at the mercy of others supplying for their most basic needs, and in the long run end up either depriesting making an alt to tend for these needs.

I agree that spells and skills granted to a priest should -never- replace what a crafter can do. Priests should never have a spell that creates a boat for them, or a spell that gives them a magical weapon, or a spell that gives them 99 nutrition, or a spell that allows for a priest to mass produce in bulk from favor- but a spell for Marg priests that lights a forge for 10 - 15 minutes, or that enchants a tile into a "grove" that serves as an altar, or even the ability to craft an one shot altar from a log (like they do with metal altars) that requires just as high Fine Carpentry as metal does Jewelsmithing would go a long way to fix the priest class. Wooden statuettes, single craft altars, a recipe for cold cooking from veggies (salad, for example?) could also help. 

Give your suggestions on how these issues can be addressed, instead of trying to justify things with options that arent there. The fact that Nahjo can both cut wood and mine does very little for a Vynora priest... Or Marganon... Or Fo... Or Paweeler... Or Libila... or Nathan... the list goes on.

40 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:
Spoiler

Vynora cannot level jewelsmithing. Let me explain why. To level jewelsmithing you need minerals. Vynora cannot mine. /End of explanation.

So.. if I have blacksmithing/Shipbuilding/Mining skill, but no lead ondeed.. I should never be able to make an anchor and quit on sailing? Ok. Wogic understood!

Sure, Nahjo can both mine and cut wood. However, that is only 1 priest class of many, and I think the only priest who can do both. Are you saying that Nahjo should be the only priest out there? There is a reason Nahjo is considered op for such a long time. It is also a player god, which has its own colorful history of issues. It is also 1 out of all the priest classes by far.

I am saying budda already confirmed changes(in 2017 roadmap) and you waste your time fighting for something that is won.. instead of celebrating.. you're forcing devs to ignore this topic further.. suggest viable ideas, or keep going with the overbuffed ideas.. make more people quit, I know I am tired of arguing how ridiculous some ideas are.

As for the item, I can see why you dont know. You have no clue because you dont play a priest. Other than Nahjo, no priest out there can make an altar: you either cant mine, or you can mine but not light a forge. 

C'mon.. you can buy or make one with an alt(you "hate alts".. but you also have SEVERAL).. 1 item off from finishing it.. you'll only be forced to MAYBE lose a tick from faith/alignment, it's a chance.. for 1 action.. it's not that much of a problem, right? 1 tick..

Yes I grinded Jewelsmithing, on my crafter not my priest.

your loss(for the priest, you alone chose to leave it unable to solve the problem next time), but still you got a new useful ability! gratz

Also let me correct you on some misconceptions there: 

You need faith to 50 to get gems from praying. Ergo, followers cannot get gems from praying.

whatevs, happens.. afaik it's ~50 prayer skill that's required:)

You also do not get faith from praying outside an altar. This is a problem for priests who dont have altars. Which means you cannot get to 50 faith to get gems. Which again requires an altar.

You know what you need for skill, you just need an altar.. how is this a problem for anybody???? You could have made one from the start before being a priest, etc etc etc. so many possibilities(I refuse to meme this but it's a good material to ridicule)

Followers do not NEED faith. At all. Its a convenience. It gives you perks you can do without. You can grind any skill you want, do any action you want, go anywhere you want, live however you want, build anything you want. There is no limitations or penalties if you decide to not take up a faith. Whereas a priest CANNOT exist without faith. Faith is the #1 trait on a priest. Without faith you have no spells, no favor, no bonuses, no nothing. Without faith you are not a priest. That is the difference between a want and a need. Without a statuette and an altar you are nothing more than a normal joe with a bunch of penalties imposed upon you. And guess what? Both are items that with the exception of Nahjo, no other priest can make without help.

You can be a terrible priest with 30.01 faith.. you CAN EXIST! Stop spilling nonsense, 100 faith and you still depend on channeling, etc.. to some extent. Favor is only unlocking spells and acts as a 'mana pool'. Learn your "class".. Missing a few things on purpose..
I could be a crafter without taking any faith at all.. but the passive boost is a thing I want.. and that limits some of my actions.. penalties include faith/alignment loss, if I drop under 20 faith - that passive bonus isn't active anymore... can I live without that? yes.. but it's still important for me.
You can always turn unfaithful and nail the last plank to a wooden altar to only finish it, maybe you'll lose 1 tick of faith/alignment.. maybe not, the benefits from that action are bigger than the loss of 1 tick, right?

That is why Priests cannot be mains. That is why in your vision of Wurm there would be no priests. That is one single problem priests encounter. Not all priests can heal. Yet they are unable to make alchemy items such as a farmer's salve, or a healing cover, which means those priests are unable to heal internal wounds and recover after a fight with some Valrei mobs. They rely on other players to do a basic need (and I mean basic, everyone relies on someone else for advanced tasks).

'my visions' translates to.. "your visions of presumably my visions", Seems like broken healing problem for rifts, not the "class", while some priests can heal, followers have jack ... to deal with that.. and at times people could find themselves in a corner with 60-90% internal damage wound(s), only way to deal with them.. farmer's salve?:lol:.. it's possible to apply that only ONCE, and it lowers a small portion of that damage; there's a 'hack' to that.. get a bit more damage on exactly that spot/wound to open up.. and you can heal it again with farmer's salve.. chances are.. you wont find that helpful rift mobs, and just rely SOLELY on a Fo / Sme priest to help you. While I haven't met a ##### priest yet, I've seen, people to lock others outside of safehouses at rifts.
So.. you are envy about your priest's inability to cast healing spells? And game should change and allow you to not just make healing covers, but do all sorts of alchemy? Ok.. that's another solid Wogic.. how you solve problems

You continue to miss the point, Finnn. Everyone can have a priest. Its a great class and very useful, and can provide with hours of entertainment... as an alt. Having a secondary character priested is great and super convenient. However as it stands currently, you cannot main it reliably. Those who have a priest as their only character are forced to live on villages and are completely at the mercy of others supplying for their most basic needs, and in the long run end up either depriesting making an alt to tend for these needs.

I am not missing points.. you continue to over exaggerate things and demand the fall of 'class walls' in favor of just one side.
Or keep explaining how being unable to build, build, build... is a downside..

For example, a player with a Priest as a main cannot make his own house. This means they can't have a bed to recover favor, without help from another player. A priest without an alt is completely reliant on others for their comfort as they cannot do the most basic, mundane things. 

-A priest can't build shelter for himself. 

-A priest can't build their own storage to secure his possessions.

-A priest can't build transportation of any kind. They can lead and ride a horse, but a horse isn't even mildly effecting to haul goods.

-A priest can't cross to another server or sail without someone else building/selling them a boat. 

Some priests can't even light a fire since they can't dig fuel nor cut down a tree to make kindling, which means they can't cook their own food.

and more...

Sure, you can always go unfaithful and do these actions, but that would mean you would no longer be a priest. 

There was also something how you can't cut a tree to get logs... and than a few lines how you can't make wooden tools, etc.. because you can't gather logs; last thing was how you cant gather metal and that "cripples your character from working with any kind of metal at all"...

And your standing keeps changing.. once it's all priests.. than it gets disproved and turns to specific priest type..

I agree that spells and skills granted to a priest should -never- replace what a crafter can do. Priests should never have a spell that creates a boat for them, or a spell that gives them a magical weapon, or a spell that gives them 99 nutrition, or a spell that allows for a priest to mass produce in bulk from favor- but a spell for Marg priests that lights a forge for 10 - 15 minutes, or that enchants a tile into a "grove" that serves as an altar, or even the ability to craft an one shot altar from a log (like they do with metal altars) that requires just as high Fine Carpentry as metal does Jewelsmithing would go a long way to fix the priest class. Wooden statuettes, single craft altars, a recipe for cold cooking from veggies (salad, for example?) could also help. 

You don't have to be a priest, etc to get 99nutrition.. you apparently just have to meditate.. and get that as 'unwanted' side effect:huh:, priests already generate dirt in bulk.. and that ok, nobody says anything bad about it.. or should. Spell that lights a fire ignores the need of kindling and fuel :/, lighttokens are lights.. you cant do much with that.. no harm.. but fire could be used to do things, prepare food or burn something; spell to one-shot altar from a log.. - cringy as it's modern to say on the webz....

I cant see any harm to turn a grave into temporary altar to pray on it..

I also like the wooden statuette idea

would go a long way to fix the priest class

Not at all, imo.. ask for normal things that aren't binding 'founding game laws/restrictions' and you'll get a few QoLs and fixes. 

Deal with cooking mess like everyone else.. you already probably sac chopped veggies anyway...;)

Give your suggestions on how these issues can be addressed, instead of trying to justify things with options that arent there. The fact that Nahjo can both cut wood and mine does very little for a Vynora priest... Or Marganon... Or Fo... Or Paweeler... Or Libila... or Nathan... the list goes on.

<_<LOL.. Now you're joking with me with that...
Doesn't matter what I think, I'm not taking any decisions that matter.. just commenting things with my opinion.
Ask for some leveling of powers... try to get 'even' with other priests, but beware.. of the last nacho nerf didn't go as planned for everyone
:ph34r:

Lol... I can see there is no explaining things to you. You are wrong on so many game mechanics there, things you are so clueless about... For example, no, prayer doesnt determine if you can get gems or not, faith does. I dont have 50 prayer and I get plenty of gems while praying. And no you cannot go unfaithful and push that last plank as you risk loosing your priesthood and resetting your faith. For a priest thats not a small price to pay, thats risking months and months and months of work just to make an item...

Im done. You are talking without knowing. You dont know the mechanics. You are going out of hearsay and beliefs instead of facts. I cant argue with that.

Just... Lol.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

The best bit is that he thinks 50 prayer is needed for gems...  It bought so much laughter into the room.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Etherdrifter said:

The best bit is that he thinks 50 prayer is needed for gems...  It bought so much laughter into the room.

It goes to show you how clueless he/she is. Arguing over mechanics you have no clue about. Its the best.

17 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Lol... I can see there is no explaining things to you. You are wrong on so many game mechanics there, things you are so clueless about... For example, no, prayer doesnt determine if you can get gems or not, faith does. I dont have 50 prayer and I get plenty of gems while praying. And no you cannot go unfaithful and push that last plank as you risk loosing your priesthood and resetting your faith. For a priest thats not a small price to pay, thats risking months and months and months of work just to make an item...

Im done. You are talking without knowing. You dont know the mechanics. You are going out of hearsay and beliefs instead of facts. I cant argue with that.

Just... Lol.

Who is over exaggerating again?

You don't want to risk a tick, find and pay somebody or just ask, or log an alt..

or ask to be able to craft your own altar.. spell to 1 shot w/o any work.. is <_<
It's faith skill for for gems. Who cares? (ok I got it wrong from the info I learned from the wiki, you got somebody to read the code for you - great)

Am I right for the rest? Are you 2 derailing your own thread, and celebrating for the outdated wiki?:lol:
5c67e17ac80748128c511159ce2b726a.png

Facts are ... you want to be able to do more, but you wont work for it, instead you'd rather, beg for changes favoring laziness and ridicule the game.

No I didnt ask someone to read the code for me. I actually PLAYED the damn thing.

And I am sorry, but no one is asking to not do work or work for things. Walking to a tree and hacking it down to make kindling is not work. Its a basic skill you start with. I can say that getting 30 faith, priesting, then spending favor just to light a forge is waaaaaay more work, more difficult, and more costly than simply getting kindling with wood, something that a fresh off the boat player can do.

And yes, going unfaithful can make you loose your faith with a single action. Followers loose a faith level, priests can loose everything. Its chance based. But of course, if you played a priest you would know this.

You really should inform yourself before you talk about things you know nothing about. But please, keep going. We are running out of things to laugh for.

• Like 1

And I am sorry, but no one is asking to not do work or work for things. Walking to a tree and hacking it down to make kindling is not work. Its a basic skill you start with. I can say that getting 30 faith, priesting, then spending favor just to light a forge is waaaaaay more work, more difficult, and more costly than simply getting kindling with wood, something that a fresh off the boat player can do.

You grind faith and channeling for bunch of another reason(s)...

Wurm Carpenters suck at making arrows, boats or decorative furniture.:wacko: 
You want to skip gathering, processing resource and starting a fire, plus all the tools and actions it requires to get to 'fire'.:huh: And from there.. just recast every 15minutes?  'gg wogic there'. This additionally creates a new meta for grinding channeling. (wihch now explained as such probably tickles a few brains, putting old hfc hordes of forges to some use)

ok.. ignore the making of altar with a finishing-plank(or just ask to be able to make altars at least w/o skill loss), alternatively you could grind 30 js any day.. zigo did that some time ago.. somebody else mentioned a similar grind recently, people do that and it's useful later.

About full loss of faith.. for all I know, impossible, checked my logs... apparently faith loss for priests is at start instead of the end.of the action (no idea how big the ticks are); but I know of more than 1 priest that have performed actions while unfaithful.. and I have never heard of a case to go from whatever .. down to 30 in 1 action.:huh::ph34r: where's your proof?

My proof? Not having my religion anymore on my vynora after I converted and tried to go mining so I could make a bowl for an altar.

I am unsure if your converted priest didn't get messed a bit after the convert(you don't seem convinced either), I'm guessing you turned a nacho to vynora.. and you say that it depriested in 1 mining action? Did you submit a ticket or report that on forums? What was the answer?

I think that this thread has been derailed (by Retrograde :p) to two different issues, new priest spells and priest quality of life. Since they are different issues, maybe they should be addressed separately. For example, priests cannot craft their altar or their god's statuette. Sure, we can create new spells to temporary solve this but the obvious solution, at least in my mind, would be to introduce the “crude altar” and “crude statuette” items, both fully functional and easy to craft by all priests. This will give some options for new (or alone) priests and since both items would be low quality, the demand for their high ql counterparts will not be affected.

Similarly you can improve quality of life by focusing on the real issue. The main problem priests face are their god's restrictions. Who could make their life easier, if not the gods themselves? A priest of Fo needs to cut a tree? Ask Fo for permission to do it. I'm thinking something like the mission system we have now but on a personal basis. The priest goes to the altar and makes a request (a request menu item that opens a new dialog with options) to be able to cut a tree. He then gets a personal random mission (using the existing mission mechanics), hopefully god and request related, like plant 10 trees or sacrifice 50 pumpkins. Once completed, he receives a blessed item (and no karma of course). That item is rapidly (lasting a day or so) decaying even in inventory, to avoid hoarding and it has one charge. You can go and bless a tree with it. The priest is allowed to cut that tree and that is all. Same with mining. You bless a rock tile and the priest is able to mine that tile away. If the tile is ore, then allow 50 hits or something like that. You can request a crafting blessing for an unfinished item or wall and be able to finish it. You may even ask for imping blessing and get 10-20 imp tries on an item.

This way, the priest can do whatever he needs to survive in a tough spot but the mission grind will make any continuous attempts of doing restricted actions, a real nuisance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

I am unsure if your converted priest didn't get messed a bit after the convert(you don't seem convinced either), I'm guessing you turned a nacho to vynora.. and you say that it depriested in 1 mining action? Did you submit a ticket or report that on forums? What was the answer?

Thats not it, what angelklaine is trying to say is, that you dont know what you are talking about and should stfu untill you do.  Or maybe Im reading too much into it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Finnn said:

Who is over exaggerating again?

You don't want to risk a tick, find and pay somebody or just ask, or log an alt..

or ask to be able to craft your own altar.. spell to 1 shot w/o any work.. is <_<
It's faith skill for for gems. Who cares? (ok I got it wrong from the info I learned from the wiki, you got somebody to read the code for you - great)

Am I right for the rest? Are you 2 derailing your own thread, and celebrating for the outdated wiki?:lol:
5c67e17ac80748128c511159ce2b726a.png

Facts are ... you want to be able to do more, but you wont work for it, instead you'd rather, beg for changes favoring laziness and ridicule the game.

Facts are that it's a prayer skill check with a faith-based modifier. You're both semi-correct.

Can we get this thread back on topic now? It's taken an unfortunate turn.

Also temper your ideas and improvements with the fact that player gods are generated and we do not take lightly to adding in hard-coded fixes to generated content. Consider any ideas here based on the four base deities to keep things simple.

• Like 1

@Keenan Meaning.. no new spell ideas, only mix of existing spells, restrictions and allowed actions.. that have existed so far in the game? :mellow:

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

Facts are that it's a prayer skill check with a faith-based modifier. You're both semi-correct.

Can we get this thread back on topic now? It's taken an unfortunate turn.

Also temper your ideas and improvements with the fact that player gods are generated and we do not take lightly to adding in hard-coded fixes to generated content. Consider any ideas here based on the four base deities to keep things simple.

Okay, this is actually great news. Are there any plans or considerations on doing more hard-coding and less random generating on player gods, and/or blancing player gods with the four original deities ?

Also @Keenan, have there been any talks about priests QoL, or making priests capable of being solo mains at all, or is the idea of priests being dependant on other players for survival a core concept  with no chance of reviewing ?

Edited by Rathgar

1 minute ago, Rathgar said:

Okay, this is actually great news. Are there any plans or considerations on doing more hard-coding and less random generating on player gods, and/or blancing player gods with the four original deities ?

There's a whole deity revamp in the road map. I don't have specifics to share on that, but one thing I personally would like to address is the way we handle player gods so that we *can* more easily handle balancing issues as they arise.

My point was to keep it simple for now to help focus the discussion. :)

@Finnn- I'm not sure where you got all that from my post. See above. My point was to help get this thread on a productive path. Ideas and improvements for priests based on the four base deities in the game. Obviously ideas that are way outside what we have today may be less likely to be implemented, it wouldn't hurt to hear what people are thinking. We can pull bits and pieces from various ideas to create a better whole.

I would also like to caution against devolving into hate and drama toward PvP and PvE. The fact is as developers, they're both important. We can obviously tweak the mechanics between the two on a conditional basis, so something that may be weak in PvE or overpowered in PvP can be brought in-line as needed. There's no need to draw lines in the sand. We're smart enough to know when something suggested from a PvE stance may need to be scaled for PvP, or when a PvP idea may not work well in PvE and may need some adjustments. :)

• Like 2

What we have here is two people with different opinions about the self sustainability of priests.  Neither of you is going to convince the other that you are right, so can we cut the crap?

Simple truth is, if all priests had restrictions lifted, could build their own houses, do alchemy and jewelry smithing and whatever other dumb excuse you guys can come up with..... everyone and I mean EVERYONE would be a priest.... so what's the point?

It's not "quality of life" it is character homogenization, and a complete game changer which I oppose.

Item enchants are available to increase skillgain, speed, two more important things. Runes already show that there are other additions like higher ql results and whatnot, but even I don't think making spells just like runes would be that good of an idea. Creatures can get more defence (oakshell) dodge more (willowspine) and do more damage (bear paws) and there are more than enough type of healing spells (cures, heal, LoF, SoL). Other than that, some nifty nature stuff. (only talking about the stuff i have seen useful in pve) I honestly don't think any additional spells will make priest more attractive, Only a new method of getting the spells. It is obvious that people in pve simply want to get the most useful enchants, not be a priest for a certain god "because they sound cool." Nahjo made that really obvious. After Nahjo was removed I know several people who haven't stepped on this game because they believed it was heading in the wrong direction. People in pve obviously love the player gods, and you want people to enjoy the game to continue paying.. i mean playing it. Why not develop a new priest system with subtle changes to each spell? Have it so there are no Fo priest, Mag priest, Vynoran priest, player-god priest. Simply have 3 different "priest" trees and have it so you can unlock a certain amount of skills based on your faith. At the top of the tree would be bless and dispel, and then it would branch off into the early spells of of all three priest. Then if the priest gains enough faith, they can unlock a spell and go down a tree, but they cant skip steps. So if a person wants Life transfer, they would need to put a lot of faith in Fo and only allow a little faith in the other branches, this would include unlocking the passives like extra damage or animals ignoring you. at 100 faith, they would only be able to unlock 1/3 of the all the whitelighter spells (talking about pve, idk how pvp works with lib involved). something like that. Yes that would mean no blacklighter spells in pve again, only pvp.

Yes skill trees are in plenty of other games, but its there for a reason... they work <.<. And with skill trees, it can be made so people can allocating even more into a spell. Thats where a spell would change slightly. Instead of casting oak very well and getting thorn, maybe have it so you allocate faith into the skill twice to unlock thornshell every time (but still have strength vary from 0-100). Maybe let woa lvl 2 exceed the 5s base timer, idk. But the current system is pray and wait, You have no choice except a priest with a bunch of spells you find useless, along with a few other spells. Btw I'm thinking as i type, im not even sure if what i wrote was coherent english^

So we're turning priests into World of Warcraft talent trees?  no thanks...