Sign in to follow this  
yetian

Allow merchants to accept goods in trade

Allow a merchant to set a trade in value for an item(s) they will accept as part or full payment for something they have on sale. So for example a merchant in an inn could set a price of 1c on each piece of meat or herbs the owner uses in cooking.

I had the idea as I'm building an inn where I want to allow new players to get cheap supplies, so the idea they could toss in some herbs or meat and get something in return might be nice.

Added after comments in the thread:

Maybe a configurable list on the merchant, a search like the crafting window has and then you add an item from the list with price and quantity you want.

-------------------------------------

Feel free to shoot me down or like. ;)

Also, does anyone use wurm's uservoice now? I created the idea there, but it doesn't look to be used much, hence the post here. 

Edited by yetian
Adding more info after a reply from Bonsai.
  • Like 4

Sounds good to me, always thought the merchants need more flexibility. Allowing players to set a price for things they want to buy via their merchants does the job

+1

• Like 1

Only problem would be in knowing which items the merchant is willing to buy.

You can always place a sign beside with 'I buy X for Y coins'... might be confusing, or end up with a huge long list.

I like the idea though :)

• Like 1

Yeah I thought maybe a configurable list on the merchant. Price and quantity of items you want. A search like the crafting window has and then you add from the list.

Some form of barter on merchants would be a nice option.

Implementation would be quite tricky though, especially if you've got a very specific request (I will trade my diamond staff for a sickle above QL70 with CoC , WoA and LT (casts all over 80), creating a ui to create such an option would not be too easy I think?)

+1 if someone can do it, I can't think of a non-clunky way to achieve it.

Yeah it won't be easy, though i was thinking something along the lines of you have an interface where you choose say "cordage rope" and set a price of 1c (just as an example). You then add that to the list of things you are looking for and if someone adds that to the window it show's what is remaining on the item(s) you wish to purchase. You can pay with cash or more items, items can overpay if you want to, to cover the price. 

A player would essentially keep adding items until either price was reached or they chose to pay the rest with coin.

It would have to be base items, so wouldn't take things like enchants into account. Also maybe it would have to either discount quality levels or have a range allowed. My initial thoughts were just for more base items like crops, lumps, hides, meat and stuff like that. Just an initial idea that would needs lots of refining and discussion by the devs and maybe the community.

We wouldn't have to have the full on everything included from the word go or even ever. Just some sort of base goods bartering for whatever you are selling, would be good.

Edited by yetian

Here's the simplest way to make this work.

Allow a person to open the crafting recipe list,

Drag an item out of there into the merchant box.

This would open up the "set price" interface.

The item would now show up in the trade list, as a red if negative (wants to buy), or a green (ready to sell)

The merchant would also need to be able to hold coin for the purchases that does not count toward the item limits.

The UI could be expanded at a later date to specify enchanted materials. (maybe? personally I'd just love to be able to talk to a merchant and actually "sell" something.)

I like the idea but I would strongly suggest staying away from selling for coin.  Your merchant will be bled completely dry asap by someone or other.  Look at how traders are treated.

As others have suggested, I would suggest a bartering system.

Management interface for merchant "owner"::

• Two columns
    • Left side is Drag&Drop like trade window / Right side is list of items
    • Drag item(s) you wish to sell from inventory to left side.
    • Choose items you are willing to accept in barter from a radial menu of items on the right side.
    • Text box to indicate number of items on each side? 
    • Some way to indicate QL range of items accepted?

So one could drag a plank to the left side, enter 25 in #'s box, choose Bear Fur w/ 35 in QL box indicating 35 or above.

Guest from the inn goes hunting, gets a 50QL fur, can have 25 planks of Oak Wood.

Just spitballing as I procrastinate from RL.

• Like 1

Thanks both for the ideas. 

I'm my mind it is simply a way to buy items for sale, not to get coin from the merchant.

The 25 planks idea I like but maybe that's more a way of selling grouped items on a merchant. So Reylaark you list 25 planks for say 10c and that's a normal merchant listing. You then say you accept the bear fur as equivalent to 10c in value. In the case you mentioned the player could buy the 25 planks with the pelt, or buy/put it towards something else. 

That was my original reason for wanting this feature. ?

Edited by yetian
  • Like 1

A method that might be a little more simplistic, but also still limited.  

Make the merchant type, that would list things in a "quest" style.  

Add an item, and then list what you would like for it.  When a purchaser trades the requested items, as a payment, then the merchant would give the item in question.

This could be reversed for a purchase, where the merchant lists something they want, and what they are willing to give for it.

Yeah that's another option, at least we all agree some sort of barter system would be nice. :)

I personally still think a more general approach might be nice to start with, just a list of items you'll accept in part of full trade for any item on sale. I'm not sure I have a case where I'd only want a bunch of pelts for a pickaxe and not an enchanted one for example. 

Always wanted something along these lines as an option.

Basically player-created fetch quests... so fetch me ten rat tails for my rat tail soup.

@klaa Maybe we need 2 additions, a barter system and a quest system. :) I like both, though maybe separate interfaces.