Sign in to follow this  
yemini

New Server Soon?

I played Wurm Online quite a bit in the past on Independence. Recently returned, but i'm turned off quite a bit by how many random buildings, walls, etc. there are around on most servers. 

Is there any idea when a new server may be released? Really wanting to get back into the game, lots of great memories!

I don't think there are any plans to release a new server. The ones we have already have a low pop. >.<

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

I don't think there are any plans to release a new server. The ones we have already have a low pop. >.<

Very true haha. Well, i'll be following the news from now on with fingers crossed!

Should hop onto one of the existing servers... plenty of land these days... can pretty much deed and not be near anyone.

• Like 1

To be honest if you are like most people you will change most of the land you deed anyway so it is not that big of a difference in just changing what someone else abandoned.  The worst part is the mine system but if you buy a cheap priest with strongwall that is not an issue either. 

As much as i like new servers we do not really need any and it is not looking like we will for a longtime.  

19 minutes ago, yemini said:

I played Wurm Online quite a bit in the past on Independence. Recently returned, but i'm turned off quite a bit by how many random buildings, walls, etc. there are around on most servers. 

Is there any idea when a new server may be released? Really wanting to get back into the game, lots of great memories!

If you explore Indy, you'll find tens of thousands of tiles that are untouched.  Want shore access? Plenty of it.  Want to live in a forest miles away from anyone? We've got that.  Steppe, desert, tundra, grasslands, flat, hilly .... we've got every thing you could ask for, all either virgin or reclaimed by nature.

You can build 200x200, 5x5, and anything in between. And never be anywhere near old, abandoned buildings or villages.

Get out and explore! This is Wurm! :)

• Like 11

Not to mention Xanadu. You can get lost for days and not find a single piece of touched land. Its enormous. 

I would love to see a new server though, but that is a topic beaten into the ground already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finndar said:

If you explore Indy, you'll find tens of thousands of tiles that are untouched.  Want shore access? Plenty of it.  Want to live in a forest miles away from anyone? We've got that.  Steppe, desert, tundra, grasslands, flat, hilly .... we've got every thing you could ask for, all either virgin or reclaimed by nature.

You can build 200x200, 5x5, and anything in between. And never be anywhere near old, abandoned buildings or villages.

Get out and explore! This is Wurm! :)

Finndar, Indy spokesperson - 2017 

• Like 2

Not enough people play this game at the moment; for another server as much as I'd like a hunting server one day though. It would be nice if GMs started cleaning up areas to make it look more natural for new players though. The Devs could even create a reward system, that encouraged players too assist, would help. Some parts of the server are super ugly with odd teraforming and pavement that doesn't decay. Problem is newer players lack the skill and the knowledge that veteran players possess to fix the land, I also blame the tutorial for not explaining this at all. Another problem that is prevelant in Wurm Online is the lack of good Samaritans, that clean up abandon deeds. I'm glad they made removing hedges easy, so that helps!

A lot of people just like the feeling of deeding in a forest, not many places like this anymore. Like Finndar said, Indy has vast open lands in the north, the south is pretty full and so is central though, depends on what you're looking for. Xanadu would also be a good choice.

This is North Indy, a picture of my current project. Just have to work at it if you want a clean area.

59dd21194167acdb239cc0594a4190b4.jpg

6007c9ab7738a536a931b618b4fc4529.jpg

Edited by Niki
  • Like 4

There are too many servers now. It was a better economy and community when there was only a few servers. Wurm is now a big Hermit planet it feels. Never see anyone in local. I miss that. 

• Like 7

If they just made it so a certain time after a deed was abandoned anyone could knock the remaining buildings down, would make things a lot nicer. 
Takes forever for buildings to completely collapse the way it is now. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

If they just made it so a certain time after a deed was abandoned anyone could knock the remaining buildings down, would make things a lot nicer. 

I agree.

Off-deed decay should be greatly increased after 30/60 days not logged in. I think that currently happens but not by enough.

Even with deeds, I've seen people add 20s+ to a 1s upkeep deed and then never play again... blocking that whole area for potentially years.

Fair enough they paid for it, but it takes some extreme circumstances to not log in for 6 months+...it's a tricky topic.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

Not everyone deeds though.  I find deeding to be the simplest solution to all manner of concerns, but for those who don't, might be a tad rough to make their home open season.

Perhaps an incentive for people to take their houses down when their deed expires.

Perhaps a way for them to do it, with incentive, from outside the game. (within account management on website?)

Essentially just making it as easy as possible for people to "do the right thing."  Doesn't mean they will, but always worth making it as easy as possible.

Then you have those who disappear through no fault but just because of circumstance.  There's enough open country not to alienate them, penalize them, and make their return a poor experience... imho.

• Like 5

This game has been declining in population since Rolf pulled out of the game. I think it would be detrimental for another server to be released.

• Like 6

Personally the underground getting more of a 3D overhaul would be better, even if it did require a complete reset of the underground maps.

Though, I have nothing against adding more "buffer" servers with maps almost 100% water with some atolls and islands. Or desert maps with sand, gravel, mountains, and very few water tiles.

Frozen north extremes, and etc.

Edited by Klaa

Every WO server now has plenty of room to place deeds even in nice locations. So for the reason the OP cited there is no need to create any new servers. Once someone places a deed all the random junk can be eliminated by the mayor with some time invested. If not pick another spot. For a more pristine wilderness environment the WU servers are a better option.

=Ayes=

WU servers are never a better option. We have lost enough people already to that, I rather we didnt loose more.

But there is always Xanadu. There is a lot of untouched land there.

• Like 3

Plenty of room on Xan.  Need a 100 more deeds at least and still won't be close to half full.

If anything, Wurm is at a stage, where it would be good to close few of the servers, not add more. But in Wurm it is something that basically can't be done, as you can't migrate one servers deeds(and items outside peoples inventory) to another.

Currently the game has prem numbers of 2011, but back then the (PvE) playebase wasn't spread out on so many servers. Were only Indy, Deli, Exo..

Plenty of room on all servers.. chaos(pvp) probably have a few more friends to welcome you.. but you'd do just fine on pve ones;)

Take your pick based on map layouts/spots you'might like.. or stats(as in people on the server to friend/trade/work with; or animals to domesticate/hunt for loots, etc..

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Astronomy_and_geography

(ingame maps still broken, I see.. someone 'been slackin' there :/, rest of the links are working tho

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_graphs

Like others have said: I can't see a need for a new server, we "only" need better decay and erosion mechanics to revert previously settled land to wild for the next player to take over that abandoned spot. Battering rams and hedge-cutting already helped a lot and I'd like to see the Wurm devs continue on that path to make resettling an even more viable option. With a little bit of GM help one could even tackle the issues caused by mines and extreme terraforming. 

With resettling getting ever more viable the need for a new server goes away.

I think they should disband all servers and start a completely new cluster with fewer and better thought through islands.

After the new cluster has been online for a month (to give people some time to move) the old one is deleted.

Just to breath some life into the game.

:)

• Like 2

@griperyou do not own a mega-farm.. Some things are just impossible to move around...

plus... if everybody wanted to move somewhere else.. they would have left smaller servers long ago and moved to xana.. but instead they remained paying for the places they love.

Some people like to travel, explore.. other set roots.:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

@griperyou do not own a mega-farm.. Some things are just impossible to move around...

plus... if everybody wanted to move somewhere else.. they would have left smaller servers long ago and moved to xana.. but instead they remained paying for the places they love.

Some people like to travel, explore.. other set roots.:)

If they would have just never released Xana and waited for the other server populations to fall naturally, we wouldn't have nearly the same population issues... :/

There's just too much land now. Realistically, a full reset probably would help. 

@Matholameu

TRUE.. but old dawgs have built their skill and possessions for so long.. eventual reset is only going to trim the itchy player count and set them free to try newer mmos/sandboxes.

pros/cons to that solution;

other than that.. I agree that it's going to be a really good change for the active players, casuals and busier(work/school/college..) ones... wont appreciate it as much.:unsure: