Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Get rid of useless rares

It's more than infuriating to spend ages waiting for a successful rare roll, and then finally get it on something completely useless. I'm sick of rare farming rolls, and I've just gotten a rare basil. There are any number of useless rares, from dirt to wood scraps to sprouts. Please can we get rid of these and make a higher chance of getting a useful rare?

could make it nice and easy and make rare rolls relevant to crafting title that is active.....  just a thought.

Sac them for a free meal.

Rare dirt and sprouts can sell for 10-20c easy, try selling them instead of complaining.

• Like 2

None of the rares are useless, if you made/got something, it's because you wanted it, so the rarity is just a bonus, but if you got a rare and you don't want it, either sell it, sac it, or treat it like a normal item (can't be bsb'd or fsb'd, but work the same other than that). Keep them around your token, or fill a main road with them to lag everybody that walks around, have fun :)

How about rares on farming? Can anyone verify if they actually improve a field?

Or better yet, rarity rolls while praying?

Though personally I do not subscribe to the remove camp, I am in the add camp. Add something to any rarity roll that appears to not have a purpose, even if its something "silly".

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

@AtteniaSimply put.. NO...

What makes other rolls worth something is the existence of the wortless ones... :)

It's like begging to never fail.. because successful actions worth more :)

rare basil.. you could use or sell for few coppers .. it could be sacrificed to get max/fill nutrition/hunger bars

If you want better rares, do other activities that get you desired wants.

Example: sick of wasting rolls on farming? Don't farm, forage ;) and so on.  

People who use those rares from dirt need them for others things.  Rock shards too don't forget to imp your tower.

Edited by Brew
Can't spell when waking up.
  • Like 1

If by "get rid of useless rares" you mean "remove useless rares by give them a use" then +1

It would be nice to see things like rare containers have a function other than longevity. The examples of rares you gave however are not useless. So removing them would make me unhappy.. Rare charcoal piles aren't bad so

Also rare herbs and ingredients get you different recipes I thought ?

Going to link a couple of pages from Wurmpedia that might prove useful.

1. Basic/Fundamental page regarding rares...  http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Rare
    1. Note: Some of the added links at the bottom of that page are pretty old and I presume certain things might not apply any longer.  Surely things have changed since 2012?
    2. Also has a link to Rolf discussing rare functionality on forums in 2014.
  2. A bit more specific as to uses for individual items... http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Talk:Rare_item#Individual_Item_Reports
    1. Note: This page was last modified Sept. 2015 so perhaps the "Other" section could be expanded upon by those maintaining the wiki @sEeDliNgS(not complaining about state of wiki at all, good work, just tossing it up if anyone in your ranks is looking for a project ;))
    2. Also has a link to what looks like an IRC transcript of Rolf discussing rare functionality.

What to do with a particular rare is something I've seen come up in chats.  I've asked about some as well.  It does require a certain amount of experience with the game to know think of how some might apply.  For instance, sprouts are used to manufacture certain things.

If I wanted some ideas of how to use a rare sprout, I might go to wurmpedia and do a search for Sprout .

From there I could see two items(Cheese Drill, Fruit Press) I might use the sprout to try and get a rare roll on creation.  The third is a hedge, which I don't know off hand if a rare hedge is possible.

Edited by Reylaark
added strikethrough

When I'm making planks, large & small nails, or honestly any bulk item, it's annoying because they don't fit in bulk containers. We should make them all go away because it inconveniences me.

some of us like our useless rares, i'm especially fond of my rare acorns. sorry nop -1

Rares are a gamble and should be kept that way.  I've figured I've wasted about 500 moments of inspiration on crap, but eh....oh well.  Not like I play Wurm for rare rolls anyways.

If you play only for making rares.....well then that's playing the lotto.  Tell your state lotto to change the rules since you aren't winning at that either. :P