Sign in to follow this  
Greyfox

Simplify cooking.

How about instead of having to slice and dice and mash and chop a bunch of different mats just to make bangers and mash, you guys could simplify the whole process for those of us not interested in playing "Medieval chef online."
For the example of bangers and mash, as it's become somewhat of the new staple meal,  put bladder, fat, grain, potato, meat in fry pan, right click fry pan-create-bangers and mash.  Creates raw bangers and mash that then needs to be cooked.  And this could be done for any recipe.
Also, allow any recipe to be cooked in any cooker. 

The novelty of the tedium of the cooking update is wearing off.
And before anyone says "Well high QL meals are simple and can fill your ccfp"  that is true, if you have really high cooking.   It's not true at 58.

EDIT: or at the very least let all the states of food be stored in an FSB.   I'd actually be fine with the way it currently works if I could store large amounts of cooking ingredients the same way I can store large amounts of other mats.

Edited by Greyfox
  • Like 1

As someone who does not like to cook (in wurm) I still give this a -1. If you don't want to cook then purchase one of the very affordable, very long-lasting food items from someone like Shydow or Tris.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

As someone who does not like to cook (in wurm) I still give this a -1. If you don't want to cook then purchase one of the very affordable, very long-lasting food items from someone like Shydow or Tris.

Ya, because needing to pay on a regular basis is exactly what I want to do.   I want to add food budget to my Wurm life.....

All I'm asking for is that the unneeded extra steps to prepare the new recipes get removed.  This game does not need more tedium, the cooking update added that with the CCFP.  My suggestion is a way to reduce that and brings it more in line with all other crafting actions in game.

EDIT: or at the very least let all the states of food be stored in an FSB.   I'd actually be fine with the way it currently works if I could store large amounts of cooking ingredients the same way I can store large amounts of other mats.(Adding this edit to OP)

Edited by Greyfox
  • Like 2

I'm not a cool also and feel you on what you mean.  Use Beeswax and wrap your food with wax paper.  I make 8 bangers and mash and last me about a month when I wrap it and store in larder.  I think 1 wax sheet can make 10 wax papers.  Priest can make also, but can't make wax seals.  Only wax paper.

Another step, but at least only cook once a month now.

• Like 1

Extra states in fsbs, sure. Removing all the extra 'steps' really cancels out a huge chunk of recipes and I prefer choice. Perhaps find something other than bangers n mash that gives similar benefits without all those un-storable steps.

I use waybread to fill the bars then refresh, suits my us just fine.

• Like 1

-1 - if all you care about is filling your CCFP bars, there are plenty of simple recipes that require almost no ingredient prep, and work just fine at 40-50 HFC.  The systems are there, you're just choosing not to use them (and then whining about it).

• Like 2

There should be 1 or few recipes that are REALLY EASY, and fill the rainbow bars, old 'meta' of pumpkin + meat filet is dead.. flat nutrition isnt the same, and not everyone feels like spending the time in the kitchen making an item that's soon to be gone..

Could be great for RP, or cooking fanatics.. but regular people do not care, why should they be forced to play the cheff thing...

Bunch of people like to hunt or skill, sail or explore.. and food is the 1 of the 2 things to keep the stamina regenerate fast...

• Like 1

-1, HOWEVER, some harder to make (but long lasting) food for travel would be nice...

8 hours ago, cccdfern said:

Extra states in fsbs, sure.

I like this solution.  Might allow for hiring new(er) players as sous-chefs.  Instead of 1k bricks, have them prep all kinds of ingredients.

I really don't like the idea of simplifying or making it "REALLY EASY."

@Greyfox @Finnn

If I were to make a thread saying I don't really like mining, but I want to be using 90+ QL ores anytime I want, without having to pay for it though, and without putting in the effort or time anyone else might for the privilege since not everyone wants to stare at a cave wall for hours on end... what would you guys suggest? 

• Like 4

-1 removing sandbox elements because you don't want to interact with others but also don't want to do the work yourself to get the achievable outcome hundreds of different ways.

13 minutes ago, Brew said:

-1 removing sandbox elements because you don't want to interact with others but also don't want to do the work yourself to get the achievable outcome hundreds of different ways.

I didn't say remove, I said simplify.   Just take a bunch of time wasting steps out of it, or allow mass storage of things like chopped veg and diced meat. 

13 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

I didn't say remove, I said simplify.   Just take a bunch of time wasting steps out of it, or allow mass storage of things like chopped veg and diced meat. 

you are aware that you can fsb chopped veggies and diced meat, ground spices, chopped herbs? just not minced meat, mashed veggies, sausages and stuff.but even then these last quite a long time in a larder, yet i wouldnt mind minced meat and mashed veggies, items such as sausage skins and raw bacon being added to fsb-able stuff, yet its a very short timer to create those and you cant even fail the action so i wouldnt expect it to make a big difference.

1 hour ago, Arium said:

yet i wouldnt mind minced meat and mashed veggies, items such as sausage skins and raw bacon being added to fsb-able stuff,

This, exactly.   If I could just make a few hundred of everything needed and then stockpile it would at least take most of the tedium out of it.

But an altogether faster, more streamlined process for cooking would still be better.   Something like how the crafting window took away the pain inducing right click crafting.

5 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I like this solution.  Might allow for hiring new(er) players as sous-chefs.  Instead of 1k bricks, have them prep all kinds of ingredients.

I really don't like the idea of simplifying or making it "REALLY EASY."

@Greyfox @Finnn

If I were to make a thread saying I don't really like mining, but I want to be using 90+ QL ores anytime I want, without having to pay for it though, and without putting in the effort or time anyone else might for the privilege since not everyone wants to stare at a cave wall for hours on end... what would you guys suggest? 

not the same.... new cooking is above the sky.. when compared to every-other-ground-walking-skill:unsure:

Mining you grind once and than you're set.. you do the same ONE action to get the same ONE thing..+rng (imagine 2-3-5 lines of *(%^#(%^*()@#&%, *coughs* um.. yea.. what were you saying.. I lost my thought for a moment.. your comparison is.. making no sense):unsure:

there's a ton of micromanagement nonsense involved in making simple food<_<

I had a few ticks under 90hfc.. long before any of the cooking patch was even cooking... don't tell me how I want something w/o working for it.;)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Finnn said:

not the same.... new cooking is above the sky.. when compared to every-other-ground-walking-skill:unsure:

Mining you grind once and than you're set.. you do the same ONE action to get the same ONE thing..+rng (imagine 2-3-5 lines of *(%^#(%^*()@#&%, *coughs* um.. yea.. what were you saying.. I lost my thought for a moment.. your comparison is.. making no sense):unsure:

there's a ton of micromanagement nonsense involved in making simple food<_<

I had a few ticks under 90hfc.. long before any of the cooking patch was even cooking... don't tell me how I want something w/o working for it.;)

I guess I like "above the sky" mechanics.  If filling pan after pan with 1 veggie + 1 filet of meat is something you enjoyed, that's awesome man.  You can still totally do that.  There is nothing in Wurm that requires a full CCFP.  It's just a bonus for people who actually do enjoy the latest cooking upgrade. 

I'd probably enjoy it even without the CCFP perk, to some extent, but I'm really happy to have the CCFP perk.  It's nice to have in-game incentives to do things aside of wanting to chill out.  After a hard day of working the stead, I like coming in and perusing the ingredients in my FSB.  Chop up some of that, mash some of this, maybe try mincing the meat tonight... Or maybe I get hungry while at the forge (happens a lot actually)... think I'll cook up some stew and dumplings over here real quick rather than start the oven... oh look at that, something about it tastes different than before.  Well, of course it would actually.  *freakin' genius Rey*

There are still plenty of things you can do in Wurm while watching Netflix even if you don't like the more active cooking mechanics.  Like mining, for example.

Plenty of CCFP filling meals can be made without chopping or mashing anything.

32 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

I guess I like "above the sky" mechanics.  If filling pan after pan with 1 veggie + 1 filet of meat is something you enjoyed, that's awesome man.  You can still totally do that.  There is nothing in Wurm that requires a full CCFP.  It's just a bonus for people who actually do enjoy the latest cooking upgrade. 

I'd probably enjoy it even without the CCFP perk, to some extent, but I'm really happy to have the CCFP perk.  It's nice to have in-game incentives to do things aside of wanting to chill out.  After a hard day of working the stead, I like coming in and perusing the ingredients in my FSB.  Chop up some of that, mash some of this, maybe try mincing the meat tonight... Or maybe I get hungry while at the forge (happens a lot actually)... think I'll cook up some stew and dumplings over here real quick rather than start the oven... oh look at that, something about it tastes different than before.  Well, of course it would actually.  *freakin' genius Rey*

There are still plenty of things you can do in Wurm while watching Netflix even if you don't like the more active cooking mechanics.  Like mining, for example.

Good for you, you like doing things the most drawn out and pointless way.   You could keep doing that if you wanted to even after my suggestion.

As for the rest of us who don't want to play Chef online, it would be nice to have options without having to be put at a disadvantage because of CCFP.   And cooking is not a game mechanic that you can ignore.   Everyone needs to eat.  It's not like say Ship building that you can choose to not do if you don't like it.

-1 just make your meals dude. Not like you NEED max CCFP anyways, it's just luxury. 

-1 as much as i hate cooking,it does make sense the way it is right now

38 minutes ago, Jonydowy said:

-1 as much as i hate cooking,it does make sense the way it is right now

Right click crafting also made sense.    Doesn't mean it wasn't annoying(More so for large projects).   Crafting window made that system less bothersome, no reason something like that can't be done for cooking.    Open "cooking table"   select from known recipes, have required basic mats and the tools needed in inventory an presto, you have the uncooked version of what you want.
Could still cook the current way if that's what you like, and learning new recipes could require the manual chopping and dicing and lore method.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Good for you, you like doing things the most drawn out and pointless way.   You could keep doing that if you wanted to even after my suggestion.

As for the rest of us who don't want to play Chef online, it would be nice to have options without having to be put at a disadvantage because of CCFP.   And cooking is not a game mechanic that you can ignore.   Everyone needs to eat.  It's not like say Ship building that you can choose to not do if you don't like it.

What disadvantage?  What can you not do if you don't have full CCFP?

How does the way you play the game have more of a point than the way I play the game?

Chef Online, Hello Kitty, Sims... honestly there isn't much people could throw out there that I haven't read on loads of other forums before. 

I liked cccdfern's solution to your problem from the start, and I'm glad you amended your suggestion to it.

If the devs don't have a particular reason to exclude certain ingredients from FSB's, then sure, throw them all in there if it helps.  I'm not contesting that. 

I was actually going to suggest the same thing on account of new players prepping food for those who don't want to do it.  So clearly I'm amenable to finding a solution to your problem.

What I am not amenable to, is people saying there's too many steps for them at level 58 and things should be made simpler.  That is not acceptable to me.

Spoiler tags for recipes please.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Right click crafting also made sense.    Doesn't mean it wasn't annoying(More so for large projects).   Crafting window made that system less bothersome, no reason something like that can't be done for cooking.    Open "cooking table"   select from known recipes, have required basic mats and the tools needed in inventory an presto, you have the uncooked version of what you want.
Could still cook the current way if that's what you like, and learning new recipes could require the manual chopping and dicing and lore method.

Nobody is contesting that.  People are contesting your original suggestion of wanting fewer steps because at your level, simple meals don't fill CCFP.  That's the part that people don't want.  I honestly don't think anyone is suggesting right-clicking be the rule of the day.

In other words, yes, +1 to a cool UI for cooking.  +1 to adding more things to FSB if that doesn't go against what Devs were trying to accomplish...

And furthermore :lol:  Perhaps I misunderstood your original point, but seems to me everyone else did too so I do have that going for me.

Edited by Reylaark
Elucidation
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Greyfox said:

This, exactly.   If I could just make a few hundred of everything needed and then stockpile it would at least take most of the tedium out of it.

But an altogether faster, more streamlined process for cooking would still be better.   Something like how the crafting window took away the pain inducing right click crafting.

I'm lost, can't you already use the food in one part crafting window, and a knife in the other, click create instead of right click ? ;)

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, Reylaark said:

Nobody is contesting that.  People are contesting your original suggestion of wanting fewer steps because at your level, simple meals don't fill CCFP.  That's the part that people don't want.  I honestly don't think anyone is suggesting right-clicking be the rule of the day.

In other words, yes, +1 to a cool UI for cooking.  +1 to adding more things to FSB if that doesn't go against what Devs were trying to accomplish...

And furthermore :lol:  Perhaps I misunderstood your original point, but seems to me everyone else did too so I do have that going for me.

My original suggestion was a rough idea.  It evolved with feedback.   Could evolve further, don't be afraid to throw in any idea you might have to make the cooking less tedious and more fun at the same time. :)    

Cooking UI with space for all ingredients, highlight all ingredients, drag/drop everything the recipe needs into UI all at once and UI finds out where to put them if you have done it the hard way once before.

Could that work? It would make panfilling a treat tho.

• Like 1