Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

The T-Arch

I am not sure the reasoning for the support in the middle of a tri-arch, but it just does not fit in my opinion. Great job on coming up with the new arch options though, I love them.

Here is a picture of a T-arch with a fence, if this was to be a fence gate it would not make sense at all. Even without a fence gate and just a regular fence, it does not look like a good match in any case.

As0277g.jpg

The right and left arch's used alone look great, and I see no reason why we can't have a center arch without the post in the center, call it a crown arch, as I would like to use a tri-arch in a few designs, but will not if its an area I want more open without a post.

6Wyg4kl.jpg

Please change the T-arch or add a crown arch.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 5

By the same token, whats the point for left or right arch? You can rotate them anyways. One can be replaced with something else to add more variety.

• Like 2

Just now, Angelklaine said:

By the same token, whats the point for left or right arch? You can rotate them anyways. One can be replaced with something else to add more variety.

lolomg I didn't even think of this. +1 to removing the support in the middle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

That is a good point, since they are purely interchangeable, get rid of the left and right and go with half arch, certainly be less confusion when someone builds the left arch and it shows up wrong because they were building from the outside of the house.

no i like t arch walls should stay as they are....    just in case when arch fully  complete T  can gone

I've already posted this before - a "center" arch piece would not make sense in this game due to the trolling among players that is going to create. Such a center arch piece would have no support and wouldn't touch the ground at any point. While there are most certainly players that would use it correctly in the center of a longer arch, there are also going to be a lot of those who are going to want to build "floating" buildings by making the entire ground floor "center" arch pieces, thus creating a building that technically floats.

The use of a single piece of wall can't be restricted, as walls in houses aren't connected in any way - each of them is a separate piece of the same building with no recognition of its neighboring walls. 

That addition to Wurm would be a disaster and the amount of work across all servers that would be required of GM's and other staff to find/remove those buildings would be a nightmare. 

All the while, the T-Arches can be created without any such issue and I assume that that was the reason for them to be implemented instead of center arch pieces.

Edited by Yldrania
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Aeryck said:

lolomg I didn't even think of this. +1 to removing the support in the middle.

+1/2/3/5/8... good idea Sir.

--edit

or in other words... could the middle supports 'dissapear' every time there are 2-3 arched walls lined up one after another?

Edited by Finnn

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

or in other words... could the middle supports 'dissapear' every time there are 2-3 arched walls lined up one after another?

Let me just refer that question to something I've already said :) 

4 hours ago, Yldrania said:

The use of a single piece of wall can't be restricted, as walls in houses aren't connected in any way - each of them is a separate piece of the same building with no recognition of its neighboring walls. 

I'm not sure if the Wurm code would support such a change but I know that it is not supported at this time and I honestly personally don't think that it would be a wise thing to change for a small cosmetic change such as removing a support pillar in an arched wall piece.

• Like 1

I'm only starting to experiment with these, and while they can seem a bit awkward, there's probably better matches than stone and wood.  Or slate, whatever that is Jake is using.

Might require a bit more aesthetic design to put together but I'm sure some creative coolness will come out.

Yldrania's point makes sense imho.  I hadn't thought of it.  I didn't really have a problem with things way back with multistory first came out and people were building modern art, but in retrospect the decision to limit buildings to something more realistic was the right decision.  Wurm's world would look a bit too much like Second Life of old otherwise.

Can't think of anything that could really pass as logic (programming-wise) within walls currently.  It'd be cool if it existed, as maybe then these center columns could be built in deeper water and serve as stilts :)

For now though, kinda seems like we could collectively work with what we've got than be looking for what's missing.  Just a thought.

Okay, the center post is actually pretty good when viewed in a different perspective, and the annoyance of it in the center of a gate just means you must plan the gates accordingly.

Looking at Hoppy's use of a 4 span slate arch with wooden fences is pretty damn sexy, so I will leave this photo up and just say these archs are pretty awesome.

FgrTgUG.jpg

• Like 2

Can't sleep so tried out 4 T-arch's on the upper level of my shop, made a nice clean look.

qsO32Rt.jpg

Also took out a bunch of regular arch's on my crafting floor of the shop with a pair of double wide arch's on the balcony and 2 half arch's for roof support, not needed in wurm, but in my eye a roof and floor needs proper supports.

pJtlOSX.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Okay, the center post is actually pretty good when viewed in a different perspective, and the annoyance of it in the center of a gate just means you must plan the gates accordingly.

Looking at Hoppy's use of a 4 span slate arch with wooden fences is pretty damn sexy, so I will leave this photo up and just say these archs are pretty awesome.

FgrTgUG.jpg

I love this, it looks amazing, whomever the author is, he or she is a genius

7 hours ago, JakeRivers said:
Spoiler

h0tmgKg.jpg

I am quite happy with the T-Arch

That's a great looking porch!  Never knew we could do upper floor wells like that too.  Very cool.

I tried Pottery Brick T's with rendered stone fences at my place.  Don't have pictures handy but I like how the brick column juts out a little bit.  Fun stuff :)

Edit::

Still need to replace the older stone walls and all kinds of other stuff :)   Wanted to show off the marble brick and pottery brick courtyard too :P

Edit#2::

while I'm at it, @Retrograde, if I go up to the brick T arches+ rendered fences and press against it right there, I can see through it still.  Just fyi.

Edited by Reylaark
took pictures
  • Like 1

Apparently the column in the center of long spanning arch type walls is to preserve some form of visual structural integrity to them. Not a bad approach really and there also seems to be some way to work around this to a certain extent by rotating half arched walls. Not messed with any of this stuff to see in WO though. Maybe when it hits WU I will get around to it. Tomorrow is soon enough for me. Always something to look forward to then, eh?

=Ayes=

2 hours ago, Reylaark said:

That's a great looking porch!  Never knew we could do upper floor wells like that too.  Very cool.

I left out fences on the deck, so when its time to head out I just hop over the edge and onto the cart. ^_^