Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

lag hits 11 sitting without me logging into game

so we are back to this again, i'm getting severe lag, this time I hadn't even started up the game and it starts lagging last night it went through the roof, up around 255 so I immediately shut it down,. legaly of course

then just now I started it up this morning and it hit 11 while I was out talking to the NBN tech, I hadn't even logged into game

any suggestions, maybe failing hard drive? or something else?

whats 11 and 255? could you provide the server console log? 

that was the lag count,

since I reinstalled the server and reduced my mod installed it's reduced to around 3-4. I cant even start the game without it lagging, i'm really starting to wonder whether it is the hard drive, because I can run it on my laptop which is a core i5 8gb ram and a 2gb NVidia something.. and it doesn't do, if it does its only 1-2 or something.. sometimes not at all.

sorry console log is long gone.

This lag count is just your cpu can't keep up with the checks your asking it to do. There are checks on items etc. if you have changed them increased these in the server settings it can cause this lag count you see based on if your cpu can keep up.

Just decrease the number it is checking on the pc you run the server on and the lag spikes will decrease. Example

NUMBER_OF_DB_PLAYER_POSITIONS_TO_UPDATE_EACH_TIME=500

NUMBER_OF_DB_CREATURE_POSITIONS_TO_UPDATE_EACH_TIME=500

This is where you get that spike from, your cpu gets a lag count every time this is checked cause it is not fast enough to do the check with out lag and it is based on how many it can check with out lagging. So this is not caused by the game but how many checks you have it calling and how much your cpu can handle at a time.

well I disabled maybe half a dozen mods, like server packs and what not, as I don't use them anyhow, stuff like hitching posts all that stuff, and only kept what I really use like ebony wand, no spiders and so on,

I've just logged off after playing for about 4 hours, and it didn't blink. so i'm guessing there were too many mods for it to handle, i'm guessing you might be right on the cpu it's a core I3 i'm running, and if I run the game on my laptop which is an I5 it doesn't even blink. so i'm guessing you might be right, time to upgrade I suspect.

how do I lower the number of checks it does, is there a place to edit that, and what are your recommendations on it?

thanks for the help

look in your wurm.ini file that is where that info is you are looking for.

You don't have to disbale your mods you want in thats not whats going to cause the lag spikes it's the checks and default if i recall is like 1000 at a time lowering it to about 500 should fix all your problems with lag spikes.

Edited by Arkonick
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arkonick said:

NUMBER_OF_DB_PLAYER_POSITIONS_TO_UPDATE_EACH_TIME=500

Is thie needed at 500 if you have just around 30 players each day on the server?

18 minutes ago, Eject said:

Is thie needed at 500 if you have just around 30 players each day on the server?

no. The default if i rem was 1k even for players but you can drop it down it don't really matter on player positions tho cause it will only find what players you have on and do those the rest are null.

But for objects and mobs you will want to make sure there at a reasonable number.

If you have 50k of mobs you might want it to check 500 every poll rather than 1000 and it is also based on what your cpu can process.

like items which can be massive you don't want the cpu trying to poll  massive amounts of items while trying to run the server. It's the same reason behind some of the commands for checking it warns of could cause lag.

#checkItems - error checks the positions of items. Use with care - lag prone.

If your server has 30 players and you add every item they make it has to sift threw it all and can cause lag based on how many you let it do at a time. You know there will always be more than 1k of items in your data base or 1k of animals cause default mobs is 10k. If you exp any lag i'd just tone down animals and items a bit till it stops. That will be the point your cpu can handle with out performance issues.

I saw now, the default is 500 at players

creatures i have 25k on the 2k maps and 100k on the 4k map, this is the laggist map but the creatures are needed otherwise the southside would be empty and the northside full with creatures.

(If the mobs wouldnt all run to the north, i could reduce the value of animals, i dont know why this happens)

at another post i read something because the ramusing of java, that its good to expand it from 2047 to 3072MB, do you think this also help pretending some lags?

Eject

Edited by Eject

Extra ram is good because java is a ram hog always has been and don't look like it will ever stop. Try adding global to your creature types. I did this from the start and i never have had my animals all head north. Been a solid year an map is full of mobs no matter where you go, some areas are more populated than others but this is caused by a mixture of den position placement, SpawnTable amount/chance/spawntile  and even age limit plays a roll. The only mobs I have that do this now are water creatures which I have not looked into as you can see on this creature map I just generated. Land mobs are working great just seacreatures have the issue.

creatures_zpsxbawr5tw.png

If you need a video on working with the spawntable let me know it is better to use the spawntable rather than dens when spawning them animals,  specially the ones that don't spawn on a pve server.

as far as the poll check I'd keep it at 1k if it don't cause lag count but if it does try lowering it 100 at a time till it stops.

link to img incase you can't see the 50k + of creatures you can open this one with a paint program and zoom in better http://www.mediafire.com/view/ag2sy9rc26han3s/creatures.png

Edited by Arkonick
  • Like 1

Thank you Arkonk for this claryfication, maybe yes a video would be very nice, just if you have time for it :)

Eject

41 minutes ago, Eject said:

Thank you Arkonk for this claryfication, maybe yes a video would be very nice, just if you have time for it :)

Eject

I'll try to make one in a little while try get one out today.

• Like 1

I have had my server up for around 4 hours today, I left it up while I went off to have some lunch, about 10 mins after I reentered WU it spiked to 28 again, it seems if it's sitting idle, and then when I log back in, it  goes nuts,

I think somewhere down the line here i'm going to have to get a new pc, the wireless adapter has started dying as well. so might be worthwhile getting a new pc I think.

Thank you very much for this new helpful tutorial Arkonik =)

Is it possible to add the riftmobs with this spawntable?

If yes, could you give  me a little example for one mob? A little code here would be helpfull.

Eject