Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Blue Ribbon Farm Animals

So currently there is no reason to breed sheep and cows, unless you are in a corner of some remote area where these animals never spawn.

My idea is this, since the current animal traits add nothing other than maybe extra life to cows or sheep, there should be a new category for these animals. Traits specific to the farm type animal, which currently would be pigs, sheep and cows. 

New traits can lead up to a better animal that could produce better ql and quantity of milk and wool and if butchered better meat and other assorted parts. (these are just a few things that come to mind, but I am sure there could be enough various traits that could make it worthwhile to breed 5 or more traits into the farm animals)

If a breeder has high enough skill enough of these traits would be present that you would have a chance at winning the blue ribbon at the fair and a new market for selling farm animals with better traits.

Another trait I was thinking about would lead to animals breeding more true to the parents traits, this would work for horses as well.

• Like 6

I like this idea.

I also think having a 'master' trait similar to rare, supreme and fantastic with tools would be interesting for animal breeding.  each level of the rare trait would give a slight boost to current traits.  I do not think this 'master' trait should be transferable through breeding, but it should mean that the particular animal that acquired this trait would have additional value.

the birth of an animal with a 'master' trait would be very rare and big news

• Like 1

+1 this would be great, and the master animals, though I think that trait should be able to be passed down at 100 AH. I still want speed traits for cows, though - I breed 5 speed cows for all my alts that can't ride horses.

Always up for more traits, especially ones that don't just pertain to horses.

Also it helps encourage skilling husbandry higher, so two birds with one stone.

• Like 1

It should be "crafted", because if you leave it to randomness it will just end in an exponential increase in farms size.

Maybe like, Xth generation with a certain trait can end as a "blue ribbon", or the "Blue Ribbon" can be a temporary status that decays when the animal is not groomed?  Just throwing out ideas.

The blue ribbon notion sounds a bit artificial. -1

The rest (more animal traits) sounds very nice indeed.  +1

Could maybe include Bison.  Not traditional farm animal, but could apply in Wurm.

+1 in general though.

the sheep has bigger eyes than usual.

the pig has a fat, plump belly.

for additional butchering mats, possible. sure why not.

just make sure these dont pollude the horse trait pool or a lot of people would be very angry i guess.

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

The blue ribbon notion sounds a bit artificial. -1

The rest (more animal traits) sounds very nice indeed.  +1

I called it blue ribbon as that is the best award at a fair for good stock, but champion farm animals would work better for wurm, they don't need to be 20 feet tall, just maybe double the size or so. ;)

And of course this could only be achieved by superior breeding with level 90 animal husbandry, but I would like to note many players do not go beyond 50-70 because you decrease your chances at breeding good 5 trait animals with the current system.

Edited by JakeRivers

hqdefault.jpgThe cow seems overly aggressive

44980f556a1bfdb53b4024aa3234f48f.jpgThe bull must get in the choppah

13926_l.jpgThe Champion Blue Ribbon pig will yield much bacon

• Like 1