Sign in to follow this  
_Teal_

Make Drake helmets protect the face/eyes

Pretty much rendered useless and only choice is any metal Full/Basinet helmet.

I think you should let coif and other cloth/leather/chain/metal helmets protect eyes/face as standard, just to give more options. 

• Like 1

I believe an old suggestion was to make eye hits take helm armour into account regardless of whether it covered the face.

It's been raised, I'll see if it can be given some feedback this week

• Like 8

Since the current model for Drake cap leaves an open face, no -1.

Simple solution. Masks protect face, making other headwear usable.

Make craftable drake, steel and leather masks, make current masks from events usable as well with nice DR

Edited by Rolandt
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Rolandt said:

Make craftable drake, steel and leather masks, make current masks from events usable as well with nice DR

Add scale helm and masks to the list plox :P

• Like 1

Armor is armor.. why not.. masks are absurdly rare, so WHY not?

+1

Masks that match helm type would be awesome. I love my Canada Mask but I would love a drake mask too ;) make them craftable and not rare like current masks. Just another part of armor.

or make open helms guard face, +1 either way ;) 

+1 - drake caps are useless atm, would be nice to either see them go, or made useful. In the end of the day, it is .33 kg of precious leather. 

+1 to craftable masks, but let the rare non-craftable ones be rare.

• Like 2

+1

I have a preference for making open face helmets protect the face (because it looks cooler), but armored masks would be ok if not my first choice.

12 hours ago, Theodein said:

Since the current model for Drake cap leaves an open face, no -1.

the funny thing is... king crowns protect the face and none of them visually cover the face.  in fact you'd hardly think this fabulous strip of silver would protect much at all but it's equal to scale/adamantine armor

Spoiler

fZbRe0m.png

for balance reasons i'd think all helms should offer at least some face protection

but i fear drake helms would be more of a meta requirement if they have reasonable enough protection or full protection due to movement speed vs a great/basinet helm

so maybe have base damage for face/eye hits be as if it was fully protected, but then add some bonus damage to face/eye shots for being an open helm so it's an actual weakness and not instant death

edit: for post below and others confused drake is the same protection as steel already

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 3

make drake helmet as strong as steel helmet so glimmer/ada/seryll are still alternatives over speed gain

Gary's idea is better, ofc.

Edited by _Teal_

Since monsters don't move around much, I assume the "meta" comments are about PvP then? Correct me if I misunderstand.

Would it be possible to make MrGARY's suggestion a pvp-only thing then? In light of the different priorities of PvP and PvE and trying to make both sides happy.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:32 PM, Darmalus said:

Since monsters don't move around much, I assume the "meta" comments are about PvP then? Correct me if I misunderstand.

Would it be possible to make MrGARY's suggestion a pvp-only thing then? In light of the different priorities of PvP and PvE and trying to make both sides happy.

meta is normally for pvp yeah, since in pve you can kill almost anything in whatever you want

I'm not sure why you want my idea to be pvp only.  It's a massive buff for pve especially because you're more likely to find studded caps and stuff on freeom, unless you prefer taking unarmored damage to face/eyes, I'm not really sure?

4 hours ago, MrGARY said:

meta is normally for pvp yeah, since in pve you can kill almost anything in whatever you want

I'm not sure why you want my idea to be pvp only.  It's a massive buff for pve especially because you're more likely to find studded caps and stuff on freeom, unless you prefer taking unarmored damage to face/eyes, I'm not really sure?

You suggested nerfing the suggestion of having open faced helms protect the face for pvp reasons (meta). I suggested keeping your nerf on the pvp side of the game.

I have seen masks take dmg in fighting; however, been loathe to test it much due to not being able to repair and imp masks. Unsure if it even takes and blocks eye dmg.

masks use to cause eye shots lol even if you had a great helm on, idk i don't trust the whole 'mask' thing because it's been buggy in the past.

Also, what would the bonus damage be to the eyes/face? if we're talking a 2-5% bonus, I'm ok with it. If it's something crazy I'd probably not bother. 

7 hours ago, Mclovin said:

Also, what would the bonus damage be to the eyes/face? if we're talking a 2-5% bonus, I'm ok with it. If it's something crazy I'd probably not bother. 

not really sure, 5-15%, something not crazy like now but something to not shrug off or drake hats will be forced into the situational meta package.  open helms also have less movement penalty and lighter so moon metal open helms would be plate meta too but thats not as much of an issue since can smelt current helm and remake

On 4/18/2017 at 6:30 PM, Finnn said:

Armor is armor.. why not.. masks are absurdly rare, so WHY not?

+1

Either protect the whole head or .. introduce craftable masks offering equal protection.. 

It's easier to skip the mask creation.. and dealing with creation material/weight, later improving 2x items vs 1....

seems unfair.. with the already weaker chain set .. compared to plate armor's protection.:unsure:

Be careful Drake helms don't become the new PvP requirement.

22 hours ago, Redd said:

Be careful Drake helms don't become the new PvP requirement.

The markets will be upended! It will be chaos!

Mmm glorious chaos... :ph34r:

I had a shoulderpad that was meant to give face protection. (or a mask, i forget which)
so i wore it to a rift.
i went afk for 5 mins, when i came back, i'd suffered 70% damage to the face, nowhere else. just the face.
so i have no feelings about this, never known face protection, even when promised and i doubt i ever will. 
thoughts however, reflect the model so -1