Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

Future Proofing Cooking Affinity

As I understand it, some characters are broken, unable to ever  get certain affinities from their food.  Additionally, if new skills are ever added they will completely wreck everyone's current recipe-affinity lists.

This is my idea to future proof cooking affinities.

Generate numerous small affinity lists, 2 affinities per list but mechanically generate every possibly combination (19 thousand or so) and assign each a unique number.

Use the Ingredient ID and Player ID to generate a number somewhere on that list, this means each ingredient will have a unique list for each player. Mashed tomatoes for me might be Polearms and Cooking, but you get Blacksmithing and Yoyos.

When a food is created, add together all the lists from the ingredients used and select randomly for which affinity the food will have. This affinity does NOT change from player to player, the challenge instead comes from more complicated food (with longer affinity duration) having larger possible affinity lists.

Features

1.       Future proof. If new skills are added in the future, they can be peppered around the lists, expanding a few to 3 affinities each. Affinity lists are never broken or ruined, only expanded.

2.       New food sale market.  A highly complicated food with a long duration that gets a valuable affinity will be worth selling because the affinity won’t change for each player.

Needs

1.       A clear way to differentiate Ingredients (who’s affinity lists change player to player) and finished cooked food (who’s assigned Affinity is static player to player).