Sign in to follow this  
Annyil

Half arched walls

I like the new "half" arched walls, but I would like it better if they would meet tully. It is a miracle of architecture :) I don't understand too, why is it needed to support the 3 tiles long arched wall in the middle. Ok, I think you didn't want a very long arched wall, but the floor upstairs can also span many tiles without support.

I think it's a matter of possibility rather than not wanting to add a long arched wall, due to the following reason:

Walls aren't connected - each wall is completely individual and separated from the other house walls. As such, it would be impossible to make the game recognize what walls are connected to the arch and to determine on its own what kind of arch (with what stretch) it has to be. The player would need to add it themselves with, for example, a "Center Piece Arched Wall", but that also wouldn't work because depending on how many tiles of that arch you want, the arch has to be differently stretched to form one long arch. Thus, no matter how you would implement it, it would never work out properly. With the T, you can make unlimited length arched walls without encountering that issue.

Also, while it might be possible to add some sort of center piece that doesn't actually have any sort of stretch but is just a sort of "wall piece" that hangs from the top to complement the rest, such a wall piece has its own problems - such as players making a house with only that type of wall on the first floor, thus creating a floating building. 

So you see, I don't think it's a matter of the developers not wanting to add it - I think it's just something that isn't possible with Wurm's game mechanics.

Edited by Yldrania

Why not to allow to build floating walls? We can already build very large building with floating floors. If we can build a three tile wide mine entrance, a three tile wide arched wall "gate" would look great in it. But this is ruined by the support in the middle.