Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Make Trees Solid Again

+1 on the account the walking through them feels weird.

-1 on the account of the time I once got lost ina  chestnut forest.   I didn't get lost in the sense that I didn't know where I was, or where I was trying to go, I just couldn't find a non collision path through that natural maze they formed. I eventually murdered the forest is a fit of wood cutting rage :)

I know that this will make travelling through wild harder but

+1

- it would benefit people, who know the area well, no more easy running/chasing on autorun

- immersion

- creating and maintain of roads will become more important

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 1

+1 with the fixed collision system

Edited by Syirian
  • Like 1

It's bad enough getting through trees when you're on foot or a horse; try doing it with a cart or wagon!

Please, don't bring this back.

10 minutes ago, Wonka said:

It's bad enough getting through trees when you're on foot or a horse; try doing it with a cart or wagon!

Please, don't bring this back.

I remember it wasn't bad, only wide trees like oak etc were annoying.

• Like 1

Retrograde, please take a trip through a chestnut forest with a greenish troll spawner before returning the collision detection please.

Edited by Asciana
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Asciana said:

Retrograde, please take a trip through a chestnut forest with a greenish troll spawner before returning the collision detection please.

You do know its on WU right?

The issues that are continually raised are oaks, chestnuts, and walnut trees, large trunks which block travel completely.

As I have already stated, this will be part of what we look at with improving the collisions, they will be returning, but there is obvious areas we will be addressing prior to them returning. I don't know how that is at this point, but it will be looked at.

Moving away from large trunks that block paths, there doesnt seem to be any other real issue raised.

• Like 3

Do mobs go through trees on WU while you need to go around? What about bushes?

I used to really enjoy the immersion of getting stuck in an olive tree teleporting and having to attempt to cut the tree down if not a priest to free myself or relog

• Like 4

I 'love' riding trough the woods.... literally.. trough the WOODS

If they are made 'solid'... I'd like them to be useful cover for arrows/spiders etc.... unable to be hit if I(polite enough to not use 'you' here) am a retard and hide/run around a tree and go god-mode juking a spider/troll/... attack... for example

I'm down +1, if and only ^

1 hour ago, SmeJack said:

I used to really enjoy the immersion of getting stuck in an olive tree teleporting and having to attempt to cut the tree down if not a priest to free myself or relog

I'am afraid You won't have a chance to enjoy it again, couse they are planning to remove tree stuck bugs before turning tree colossion ON.

2 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

I'am afraid You won't have a chance to enjoy it again, couse they are planning to remove tree stuck bugs before turning tree colossion ON.

imo that'be a mstake... only people to benefit from this are weirdos climbing mountains ... vs .. mostly annoying everyone else

• Like 1

On one hand the immersion would be nice, just like on the test servers.

On the other hand... olive tree forests *shudders*

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

You do know its on WU right?

Leave me to be the wiseass... :P

You do know that we are legally and freely allowed to modify our client on WU to remove hastles such as these?

Edited by As_I_Decay

-1, making forests more annoying doesn't add anything to the game. Except annoying forests.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, As_I_Decay said:

Leave me to be the wiseass... :P

You do know that we are legally and freely allowed to modify our client on WU to remove hastles such as these?

Of course, and minus the difficulties with trunks that blocked paths completely, the system does not detract from gameplay, it adds immersion and has been a staple for a long time, only removed when bridges came in.

Obviously we don't wish to implement the downside to having them as well, and could always look at alternate options for how it would work

Behold... the solution to handling solid trees:

• Like 1

I miss the old days of resting on trees to regain stamina while climbing, I don't miss the terror of running through the various olive forests of Serenity with a train of trolls and spiders and getting stuck in a dead end because I couldn't run through the trees...

That said, on balance I'd rather have the tree collisions back, overall it adds realism, but I do have some caveats, primarily mobs should also suffer the same disadvantages we players do, no more clipping through trees for them either, it was the one thing I detested about tree collisions back then, players were blocked, mobs were not.

Sure, it does mean a bit of attention to your route through forests, but that just adds immersion for me, makes Wurm feel more real, and isn't that what we play for? Even with the vagaries of Wogic and RNG, the realer it feels, the better we like it. (Well I do anyway).

• Like 3

Bring them on I guess. I guess I will be deforesting tons more then:) One way to get  WC up I guess.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:17 AM, Retrograde said:

Moving away from large trunks that block paths, there doesnt seem to be any other real issue raised.

There are other issues which are all of convenience to passing through forests. Bringing up this tree collision issue has been done and commented upon numerous times in the past. Those who rarely travel through forests for various reasons have no issue with it of course.

Yet lets not forget that even the "narrow" trees will respawn in forests over time in erratic patterns so that if you attempt to ride horse carts or wagons through them you will be constantly bouncing around and perhaps even occasionally get stuck if 2 of them are too close together. Even makes picking sprouts more difficult when attempting to cover a forest completely while doing so. Just take a trip onto some random WU server to find the true enjoyment of solid tree "reality".

Many other things do not block players passing through them either, so I see no justification for trees to be any different than those. Since the Devs seem intent on reinstituting the tree blocking impediment anyway this thread is a moot point to impatience. Enjoy the free passage while you can....

=Ayes=