Sign in to follow this  
Korhaka

Fletching and arrow creation QL

Currently for PvE not many seem to use archery. Main reason for this is just how much more difficult it is to make arrows, only to have them brake. Meanwhile a sword would just have a small reduction in QL after repairing it and you dont even need to go looking in the grass for it. 

Arrows in Wurm are actually longer to make (from having a shaft and point to a finished arrow) than they are in reality, due to having to spend a lot of time improving them. My thoughts on this are that creation time for making arrows should have a bit of an increase in time to create BUT cannot be improved and their QL is based off materials and skill.

I have heard some people point out this could effect PvP negatively, if that really is a problem then the difference could be split over war/hunting arrows with war arrows keeping the current system and hunting arrows changed. In this situation the arrows would also need some changes to better suit them being PvP or PvE arrows, such as armour penetration for war arrows but not much for hunting arrows.

TL;DR Arrows created at higher quality, cannot be imped anymore.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Korhaka said:

seems unnecessary to disallow imping doesnt it?

• Like 2

I don't see either why should imp be restricted further on - it would send the fletching skill grind to the pain league of locksmithing and the other "create only" skills.

The current system is not that bad as it seems when you start using archery, with skill you will break and also lose much less arrows. Also there is are definite uses of archery in PVE currently, for example hunting trolls with a bow you will spend less time fixing the arrows than to cotton up yourself and have all the gear (weapon, shield, armour) repaired / reimped.

Anyway I'm positive with the idea to create better ql arrows, maybe based on arrow head ql - giving a reason to grind WHS skill

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Korhaka said:

hrm, nope, why not created at something like 1/3 of your skill instead of 1/5... meaning that a 90 skill you get 30QL arrows and not the 18 QL ones. 1/2 of the skill would be better but probably too OP. 1/3 leave room for improvement and grinding the skill as well as having easier to obtain arrows.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

seems unnecessary to disallow imping doesnt it?

Indeed, at least because we need to have a way to grind the skill.

Raising creation ql to make freshly assembled arrows usable right away would be nice. 1/2 of the skill seems ok for me from PvE perspective.

The reason I said no to imping was the realism side of it. You cant really just add more wood to an arrow and make it better again. Of course this is wurm... I do like the idea of making the head ql more important as currently I can just leave my low skilled alt hammering away for a few hours.

I am currently about 50 archery and 60 fletching, which is a point where it is not so bad now considering all I need to make is new arrows. But at the start it was much harder constantly replacing arrows. 

Even at my 60 fletching, it hurts to see a 50ql arrow break. Still if I see a crocodile or scorpion I will avoid it. The idea of losing so many arrows is too much.

But, I have not got good skills in using swords, so perhaps it is just as I have only used one weapon type to a moderate level.

Edited by Korhaka

I don't have any good ideas on how to go about improving the system, but I'll +1 almost anything that will improve it. 

I rarely use archery because it's just too much of a pain in the tush.  I keep a few arrows and my bow on hand just so I can annoy  trolls on steep hillsides and occasionally they'll oblige me and come down. Otherwise, archery just isn't worth using on pve. (in my biased opinion. :) )

Edited by Amadee

-1 to making arrows too easy to make.. 

You're already fighting from safe distance... everything comes at a price!

There are already several types of arrows hunting/war/maple/cedar/*random-woodtype*, you want easy way to improve arrows - use cedar(almost sure I got it right here..)

"fighting with a sword... la-la-la-lah-la.." yea.. and than you pay with weapon and armor repairs :o

What you need to make that improvement easier and faster, is high QL tools, enchant, runes, imbue, skill, and wood-type.

Wood-type bonus already makes that work easier for you... just take advantage of the cedar-type if you're unlucky finding your arrows.

Personally having something like a skill unlock, for making X number of arrow shafts per action. Especially when the skillgain has become negligible anyways.

Also giving the create skill a boost in initial ql. Doesn't have to be huge, just over 30 or even 40 for say 70 fletching. Numbers just thrown out there.

Granted some of the tedium could be delegated by using other players, especially lower skilled ones to create the base components. However, its not like there's any kind of Master/Apprentice skillgain bonus to encourage such.

Less skilled players have trouble(do significantly more actions..) to create heads for the arrows and combine them to make the arrows... where new problem emerges.. their product is low ql and for a master or more skilled player to improve their work often involves more time compared to master fletcher doing it all from scratch.:rolleyes: +the 4 ways to make it easier .. other than skill..

Making this any easier is only going to make alts of certain people put into more work and make people care less for their arrows if they are too easy to create at usable QL

I'm done talking here, imo it's terrible idea to make it any easier - there are FIVE ways to optimize your work with this craft.