Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Is it possible to create a "look but can't touch" server?

I think the mod you're looking for would be one that would allow you to deed an entire server free of charge, with no upkeep.

Removing all tools would still allow for crude tools and then proper tools to be gained so i wouldnt advise that.

4 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I think the mod you're looking for would be one that would allow you to deed an entire server free of charge, with no upkeep.

Removing all tools would still allow for crude tools and then proper tools to be gained so i wouldnt advise that.

Sounds about right. I guess the only downside would be, that there would be absolutely no natural animal spawn, which would feel pretty dead. Or is that something that a modder could change somehow: allowing animals to spawn "on deed".

Edited by Malena

2 hours ago, bdew said:

A mod could probably be made that will make the whole server to behave like one huge deed, tho it will need some careful testing to make sure all the corner cases are covered in terms of security.

i believe you can make deeds so big as you like, just go to the middle point and set the size to eg. 1023 at all sites

Just now, Eject said:

i believe you can make deeds so big as you like, just go to the middle point and set the size to eg. 1023 at all sites

Oh! I would have thought that the tiles where characters first spawn into the world would stop that, as I'd assume those spawning points have to be "public". But I'll give it a try!

5 minutes ago, Eject said:

Oh and is there a command that can teleport you to the center?  Or how can I find that middle point?

Edit: Never mind, I just realized I can check the coordinates with the wand, so I simply fly there. :) Going to try this gigantic deed thing out now. Will let ya guys know.

Edited by Malena

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

yeah i know about the crude tools, but i think a visitor without any tool in the inventory wont like to begin with crude tools and do anything against the serverrules. making crude tools is not easy and if you just like to be a visitor, you wouldnt think about crude tools....any others you can ban every time

10 minutes ago, Malena said:

Oh and is there a command that can teleport you to the center?  Or how can I find that middle point?

if you know your mapsize, just pick out the half and you are on the middlepoint

eg 2048x2048 is the mapsize

1024x 1024y is the middle

Eject

add: activate your ebony wand --> rightclick on ground and go to specials ---> set teleport marker....type in the x/y coords

rightclick on ground --> specials ---> teleport

Edited by Eject

So far so good. Almost. So I learned how to set a teleportation marker and then teleport there. (that's good to know!)

Next, the middle tile was a little under water so dumped some dirt there and made little island for the deed token. 

Buuuuuutttt..... as I was setting the tile size of the deed, it seems that only 3 digits fit into the spaces. :( So at largest, the deed could only be 999 x 999. Which at least is "better than nothing". But yeah, too bad there is a character limit.

deed-size.jpg

So back to the drawing board!

Edit: So actually, it DOES support more than 3 characters, but the UI just fails to SHOW it!!! Since there is so much space, they should definitely make those boxes longer! 

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

Ok, removing that previous message since it serves not purpose. Instead editing with the new problem I ran into: 

critters.jpg

I would not be able to create the deed because of course, there are the nasty critters around. Will investigate if there is a way to spawn the server with 0 animal count....

Edited by Malena

normaly as GM you can found a settlement where aggro mobs are in

:/

Also you can right click anything built in the game with a gm and ebony wand. Set all building to decay disabled. You have to manually checkbox each building but easily done.  I have had buildings take zero decay in our spawn for over six months

• Like 1

Ok here's an update. I went off to kill one bad guy. After that it still complained of another brute. Went to kill him off as well. After that though, everything was fine! 

So then I return to the center of the map, all ready to create the deed and try writing in 1023 assuming that I just can't "see" the number "3" hidden under the UI. But alas, it goes completely berserk and on the next page it talks about a tile size of 300 or something like that. 

So actually I was probably originally right when I said it only supports 3 characters. So I write in 999 in all of them, give a perimeter of 20 (+ the 5 it offers by default) and now I have a deed of 1999x1999 hehe. Well, it's not too far away from 2048 :).

Kingdom-of-Moribus.jpg

And very good to know about being able to set buildings to no decay!

Thanks everyone for all the help and tips! Other than the fact that animals won't spawn naturally anymore, I guess I'm good to go?

• Like 1

just remember, if you deeded the whole land, no other of your friends can found a settlement here, if this is worth just for some visitors?

Eject

Just now, Eject said:

just remember, if you deeded the whole land, no other of your friends can found a settlement here, if this is worth just for some visitors?

Eject

Yep! Because you see, the main motivating factor, the main purpose of the server is to do my own thing. I'm not doing this to get visitors, I'm doing this to be creative and have fun building amazing things with the god tools. And sure, like most people - I could just do that privately. But knowing that there would be absolutely zero chance of ever bumping into anyone feels a bit sad. I do understand that most likely no-one will ever bother to visit this server as they have better things to do, but you never know. If people sail their ships for hours in Wurm Online to go and visit people's deeds and if people sail to other servers and spend a whole day, just to explore - why not also visit a server if it gains a cool reputation as a tourist spot :). 

• Like 3

Glad to hear you could deed it!

Biggest issue I see is the animals, but that either means allowing non citizens to be targeted, or something else to allow players to kill things

(think they will always fight back if attacked though

There is an old building game called Active Worlds where they enabled exactly what you are interested in doing. They would sell and host small personal versions of their main worlds to other players so that they could completely control them to their own specifications and allow others to visit them to see what they had created there and yet the visitors could be prevented from making any changes to it in their world settings specifications. In turn there were plenty of players who would visit these "private worlds" just to see the environments that others had created within them. All the options could be made either available to visitors or restricted from their use on an individual option basis.

As I see it WU is basically offering the same thing without the hosting included and the options to restrict the abilities available to visitors use on a basis that covers the whole server within its settings. In this respect then it is lacking in the simplicity to do so that a game of 20+ years ago had made available long ago. As you can then realize this is not a novel concept, yet one that the WU Developers had not foreseen the need to implement, or perhaps just not bothered with the time required to set it up that way.

Now you will need to go to some roundabout methoids that other Server Owners have discovered on their own, as I am pretty sure that the original WU Developers won't be interested in devoting their time to do so. Still, I can understand your desire to have some unexpected visitors drop by as you both acknowledge each other in wonderment that they have happened to discover your own personal world, just as others had done on so many AW worlds over all these years.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

I love to be tourist and look at other peoples creations. So I did enter some WU servers, built myself a rowboat or a large cart abd travelled around. I would like to visit a server like Malena is planning where probably every part of the land is thoughtfully decorated or untouched but not ruined with old abandoned pavements or endless mass producing animal 1x2grid pens. So if its opening up... please tell us ;-)

Thanks so much for the support guys! 

Ayes, oh I remember Active worlds! It was the first virtual reality / sandbox game I ever tried. I think I tried it in the late 90's. Only a little bit though. I might have had lag issues, can't remember. Then once I tried UO in 99, I was hooked forever.

Speaking of UO, I started thinking how cool it would be to recreate Britannia in Wurm Unlimited.

So, I've spent the entire day now learning how to create my own WU map and I succeeded in doing so thanks to the great tutorials Digging ForWater did.  It was from the map generator that I discovered that you already CAN make 1024x1024 sized maps! So I made one and yes, it's a perfect size for this purpose!

After testing that out, I then snooped for a Ultima Online height map and found one that looked pretty good. Modified it a bit in Photoshop and imported it to the map generator. That was a success as well and flying around in it now actually. Now I just need to get a UO emulator set up so I can play UO while building in WU so I can try to mimic the buildings and landscapes. Patching UO as we speak. It will be my first time trying a UO emulator although I know they've been around for years. 

Also saw that several people have tried making Ultima servers here in WU and their efforts were fantastic, very very impressive. Such a shame to see their projects have died out eventually. Even if they decide to go into business again, my "look but don't touch" project is not in any competition thankfully, since it's not for creating communities.

Sirene: Aww thank you. I certainly will if I get anything worth putting up to see! *hugs*

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

Which map did you generate? Moonglow? Occlo? Serpends Hold? Magincia? Buccaners Den:-)))

Edited by Sirene

6 hours ago, Sirene said:

Which map did you generate? Moonglow? Occlo? Serpends Hold? Magincia? Buccaners Den:-)))

The whole map! :) It was a perfect size for the 1024 map, although some small adjustments had to be done.

You'd get absolutely nobody playing on something like this. Especially seeing as how dead WU is right now. That being said, there would be no creatures spawning whatsoever either if you deed the whole map. You'd have to spawn them manually.

Edited by atazs

On 4/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Eject said:

there is a mod you can setup all tools that new created chars will get at login. just remove all of them and the new chars should not be able to do anything on your server

I would LOVE to have that mod on my server.  Do you know what it's called, or where I can find it?

EDIT:  I found it!  It's on Sindusk Server Mods.  Scroll down until you reach Starter Gear.  So awesome.  I used THIS list of items. 

Edited by Batta
Found the link!