Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Many Mining Fixes.

Another day, another task in Wurm and many suggestions coming from it.

Some have been mentionned in others threads, raised by others or even myself, but lets go through them again and lets hope they will get some traction.

Flattening :

Currently flattening only allow to flatten a tile toward the lowest point. Sometimes you want to instead use the higher one. So dual option for both flatten higher / flatten lower.

Ceiling levelling:

Currently, you cannot level a ceiling down, it can only be up (and currently bugged as well). Lets use some concrete for that task shall we.

Ceiling flattening:

Same as the floor flattening suggestion.

Ceiling lowering:

Well, with cave buildings, the land shapping of the ceiling is almost as important as the land shapping of the floors. We have options to raise them. Why are we still unable to lower them with concrete.

Mining and random directions change:

When you mine forward on a flat tile... why does it go up and down randomly specially when your skill is above 90... one can understand that you might mistake your feet for a rock when mining at low skill and weirdly change the slope... but at high one, those silly mistakes shouldn't happen. Lets change that and allow our mines to be straight.

Side mention:

Concrete. Most needed tools for our mine smoothness and more painfull one to obtain. Not only the fail rate is horrible, but the ash creation is the worst part of it. Most of our fire sources do not create ash, though, that by-product is still highly needed. Ash trays for all forges, ovens, smelters and others kilns, allowing the fuel we use to be transformed into ash over time.

• Like 14

Reserved for good mines and mining ideas that need some love as well.

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 1

+1 on OP #1

Edited by Yaga

Not known Odynn to boast outlandish ideas so I'll give this a +1   :)

I love all these ideas, and sincerely hope they all get implemented!  Big +1 from me.

Concrete is a broken mechanic. Too much work for too little reward. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 9:47 PM, Finndar said:

Concrete is a broken mechanic. Too much work for too little reward. 

having slate paved my entire deed back when snow didn't settle on it (good god it was gorgeous in the winter, snow shovels, please)
..and enjoyed the creative, satisfaction that was delivered through effort applied.. i believe myself qualified to say,
it's the ash.
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/39086-forges-and-ovens-should-produce-ash/
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/147022-new-method-for-creating-ash/
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/6149-easier-way-to-make-ash/
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/94950-easier-concrete/
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/70988-corpses-to-ash/
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/145422-ash-in-fires/

Edited by Steveleeb
recompiled
  • Like 3

On 4/4/2017 at 10:35 PM, Odynn said:

When you mine forward on a flat tile... why does it go up and down randomly specially when your skill is above 90... one can understand that you might mistake your feet for a rock when mining at low skill and weirdly change the slope... but at high one, those silly mistakes shouldn't happen. Lets change that and allow our mines to be straight.

+1 to straight/leveled mines!

On 4/4/2017 at 10:35 PM, Odynn said:

Side mention:

Concrete. Most needed tools for our mine smoothness and more painfull one to obtain. Not only the fail rate is horrible, but the ash creation is the worst part of it. Most of our fire sources do not create ash, though, that by-product is still highly needed. Ash trays for all forges, ovens, smelters and others kilns, allowing the fuel we use to be transformed into ash over time.

:rolleyes:

What if.. people do... NOT.. want to deal with all that ash?

Making ash easier to obtain is probably needed, but maybe best to obtain with a new or existing method.... but not by messing with all mechanics that involve fire and flames to produce something that is questionably of any use to every person, right?

About raising mine floors..... ql1-5 or w/e.. REALLY LOW QL CONCRETE should be ~easy to make in my opinion... it's just to fill holes or uneven terrain, cant be that hard to patch terrain... you do not need ql30-100 dirt to fill a hole in your yard, right?? For the building etc..... 'difficulty' could be made to use anything above ql1-5... so, the easy trash filler material couldn't be messing with the building market....

On 13/04/2017 at 0:40 PM, Finnn said:

Making ash easier to obtain is probably needed, but maybe best to obtain with a new or existing method.... but not by messing with all mechanics that involve fire and flames to produce something that is questionably of any use to every person, right?

Tbh for me concrete is cement + sand + gravel. So an option involving to crush rock shards with a pick or a maul to gravel and combine said gravels with mortar (cement + sand IRL) would work perfectly.

That being said, in wurm the pita is not the mortar, it's the lye and the ash... so either change the whole concrete recipe (time to add wings to pigs, right?!) or make what use to be a by product easier to obtain.

On 2017. 04. 04. at 9:35 PM, Odynn said:

Flattening :

Currently flattening only allow to flatten a tile toward the lowest point. Sometimes you want to instead use the higher one. So dual option for both flatten higher / flatten lower.

+1 - let it work the same way as dirt if you have concrete on you.

Ceiling levelling:

Currently, you cannot level a ceiling down, it can only be up (and currently bugged as well). Lets use some concrete for that task shall we.

Bugged if the ceiling is mined to max height allowed by rockface shape outside. You are bugged if you happen to accidentally have 1 slope higher than max reachable at a tile corner, you cannot correct that or even continue at same height from there.

Ceiling lowering:

Well, with cave buildings, the land shapping of the ceiling is almost as important as the land shapping of the floors. We have options to raise them. Why are we still unable to lower them with concrete.

Very much agree.

I cannot give enough +1. My last days: wanted a longer mine tunnel going down at exact 15 slopes each tile. How to achieve? (i) mine up the next tile as you cannot reliably mine forward and stay flat (ii) flatten the newly opened tile (iii) lower the forward corners by counting exact 15 hits each (iv) go to point (i). Very painful. You also need to manage the 100+ shards produced on the tiles during the process.

Why? (i) randomly chipped down corners with mine forward (ii) not being to be able to see slopes in mines (iii) not being able to see slopes of ceiling and so getting a straight ceiling.

I do a mistake? I need to close back 2 tiles to fix it as I cannot see the slopes.

Side mention:

Concrete is a pain - forges etc producing ash sounds as a good idea although it needs to be set to a good rate, too much is a pain for example when smelting (as per my experience on some WU servers).

+1  These are some nice QOL ideas. 

I'd like to add my own personal buggaboo.  I'd love to see an easy way to check the ql on my own rock mine doors.  Sneaking up on them 20 times in a fruitless attempt to get the right click menu to work before the graphic disappears is sometimes enough to try the patience of the Pope.  Especially when there's no way to come at it from the side. 

Maybe they could add the ql of the mine doors in our manage window or something?  Checking our own mine doors to see if they're getting close to needing replacement shouldn't be such a pita, imo.  If there's an easy way to check them that I'm unaware of, I'd love to hear it.  :)

• Like 1