Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Affinity Tomes

The only way to get more than one permanent affinity is to PvP, this suggestion adds a set of items that change this and allow PvEers a chance to get their dream affinity without the need to sail over to chaos:

Affinity Removal Took - 5 silver, unlimited stock, removes the affinity of your choice from your character on use (single use).

Affinity Tome - 20 silver for crafting and gathering affinities (carpentry, farming, woodcutting, masonry etc), 30 silver for mystic affinities (channeling, meditation, sorcery etc), 40 silver for combat affinities (weapon skills, fighting) and 50 silver for stat affinities, unlimited stock (5 randomly chosen affinities stocked per 3 days), on use grants one level of affinity listed in the tome (single use).

Optional Extra: Add the chance to get affinity tomes as a consolation prize if a sorcery tome is not dropped by a unique

Edit: After being informed of the mechanics that were added a while back to prevent this kind of farming I've edited the main post a little, thanks to the folks who explained it.

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

It's a well-known fact that players on chaos make a fair bit of money farming affinities. If you want a good affinity, just pay a PvPer for it right?

?

first time i've heard of this

6 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Optional Extra : Add the chance to get affinity tomes as a consolation prize if a sorcery tome is not dropped by a unique

this is the only option I agree with

affinity potions already exist in the code also so I don't think it would be much work to add them to the unique loot pool

• Like 1

If it were such a good way of making money, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

Yeah, this suggestion, like most of the OP's others, is out in deep left field.  Far beyond the logical reasoning of most Wurmians...

14 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Yeah, this suggestion, like most of the OP's others, is out in deep left field.  Far beyond the logical reasoning of most Wurmians...

Ah?  Why my logic is simple:

Create alt, check affinity, if desired affinity exists prem up, level alt to required combat, take affinity via PvP combat, discard alt.  Its a process anyone who has been around long enough knows of, and indeed many make use of.

In essence, it takes an existing mechanic (the farming of affinities) and makes it accessible to anyone who is willing to pay for it with an inflated price for convenience.  CC benefits since it makes folks much more willing to travel to check affinities at the local trader, it puts money directly into their pocket and it allows those who want nothing to do with wurm's PvP to obtain additional affinities.  Where is the loss?

You could argue "Its pay to win", but given that one can create veins (50 silver for the vein of your choice), obtain teleportation devices and even outright buy pre-levelled toons I feel that this is a rather poor argument.

15 minutes ago, zigozag said:

You don't see your affinity before premming up.

Must have changed since I last looked.  I suppose you could go the long winded way and rely on that random affinity cropping up (after losing it in a PvP fight with your prepped sacrificial alt).

Can only take the affinity of an account with 20+FS, so needs to be premium there, and also needs to be premium at all to see it's affinity even after a PvP death.

this is dumb because no matter what response is given you just warp your twisted hatred towards chaos and pvp for some reason to just fit in around what was said, as are you also are dumb

6 hours ago, Cornchips said:

as are you also are dumb

I'm just going to leave that there.

Seriously though, I can't say I hate chaos or PvP.  What I do strongly dislike is PvP players being given a solid advantage over PvE players (HoTA statue market, affinity trade, restrictionless priests (champions), high priests, extra spells for PvP priests, PvP only gods etc) and nerfs to PvE content (or blocking of new PvE content) due to "PvP balance".

As a whole playing the ``you hate PvP/Chaos'' card is rather like playing the ``you hate <insert people you think society has given advantages to here>'' card.  It's usually a smokescreen to hide the lack of a good counter-argument.

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

restrictionless priests (champions)

You do realize being a champ has its drawbacks, it lasts up to 6 months if you don't die 3x and then its another 6 months before you can champ, only 3 allowed per kingdom and when you de-champ, you loose 1 point across all your character stats think about that if you lasted only a week as a champ. =p

Anyone from freedom can farm a affinity if they want to, it does not require joining a kingdom even, just a bit of know how.

Its called risk/reward. You have go out and fight others for hota statues and moon metal.

As well no one affinity trades besides that ebo guy who spam kills alts. Which should be bannable imo but everyone screams -1 to logical suggestions.

The only nerfs that hurt PVE are the ones the staff completely ###### the rework and then reglect any feed back. For example shield training nerf, archery and taunting.

PvPers arn't spoonfed these "advantages" they earn them like you can as well.

Also champs can't leave chaos which for a majority is a huge con.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shankiest said:

Its called risk/reward. You have go out and fight others for hota statues and moon metal.

As well no one affinity trades besides that ebo guy who spam kills alts. Which should be bannable imo but everyone screams -1 to logical suggestions.

The only nerfs that hurt PVE are the ones the staff completely ###### the rework and then reglect any feed back. For example shield training nerf, archery and taunting.

PvPers arn't spoonfed these "advantages" they earn them like you can as well.

Also champs can't leave chaos which for a majority is a huge con.

You make a good point with the risk/reward argument.  So, with the HoTA statues, is it now balanced so that each kingdom has an equal chance to get the price?

Yes, there is a lot of "-1" to logical suggestions on here, I see a lot of it.

Actually, there are some balance nerfs that really do help PvP (think the LoF and Fullheal nerfs) which crap on PvE.  This is not to say that such a nerf shouldn't be put in place in PvP (it was needed), but it certainly shouldn't have been forced on PvE.

Every PvE player could move to PvP and enjoy these advantages, however, unless one can sink entire weeks into wurm then one is not likely to enjoy these advantages.  Do they make a good reward for the effort of dedicated PvPers?  Sure.  Do they also fuel a resilience to change that isn't focused entirely on maintaining the status quo?  One need but look up.

It's a nice debate but it's not really central to the matter.  In clear terms, why should affinity tomes not exist?

In my understanding or opinion, Affinities exist as a bonus for PvP because of the skill loss and risk involved in combat, as well as the frequent disruption of activity due to combat and kingdom defense.

To award freedomers with extra affinities "because chaos gets them" isn't quite fair. We already get to sit around and do whatever we want safely.

i think the real problem is that they, and other things, exist on freedom at all. Giving Chaos elite things that are only available through hard work and risk makes sense. Later giving them to Freedom only means that 1) the value is reduced, and 2) the Chaos folks will just come to freedom when necessary and dominate the trade (like with uniques and rifts).

-1  I have multiple toons and have absolutely no fears of going to chaos to remove their affinities.   Put on the big boy pants and get'er done son.

• Like 2

The argument that affinity tomes shouldn't be allowed because you can alt farm isn't really an argument against affinity tomes, or the ideas present in the OP. Why waste time and clutter the server banks with even more ghost toons then necessary? From a gameplay mechanic viewpoint, you could always just cap out the amount of affinities a toon can have in order to keep people from gaining to much of an advantage. From a business standpoint, offering affinity tomes would be a great money maker for the game. The pay to play argument doesn't really work because that's what people already do, you want to have nice things when you can't make them yourself? Buy silver and pay other people to do it for you. I bought myself 80ql+ steelplate armor and a 90ql longspear all enchanted up the rear, my FS is below 10 and yet I killed 4 hell scorps the other day, two of which where ven. If that's not pay to win then I don't know what is. Then again, if I want to spend that kind of money on wurm that's my business. Game balance isn't just suppose to be for PvPers, if alt farming on PvP servers is really as common as both PvPers and PvEers seem to be indicating, then it's only fair that PvEers be offered a substitute. Even then, I wouldn't limit affinity tomes to just PvEers, all players should have access, though rather the having them set in world or be able to be bought with silver, I would have them be sold out of game, in the wurm shop. Buying affinities should be the same as buying silver, it's not a requirement to play wurm, but if you want to invest your money into your gameplay, the option in there.

Edited by Dreasis