Sign in to follow this  
Rolandt

Cant Update graphics

Went to login and there was a update, it will not update tried multiple times... here is the error..

Please help me i not smart nough

>>> LoginFrame queue entry exiting.
class.VHi4kr8ZTN: Could not copy graphics.jar to graphics.jar.bak

If you have multiple clients, close any open clients. IF no open clients, try deleting graphics jar and download it again.

or try budda's step by step:

1. Close out of Wurm

2. Check running processes for any stuck java ones that would be Wurm

3. Relaunch Wurm, see if it works this time. If not, repeat 1-3 one or two times.

If the above doesn't work:

1. Reboot and try again

If you don't want to reboot, or the reboot doesn't work:

1. Go to where you have installed Wurm

2. Open packs folder

3. Delete graphics.jar

4. Relaunch Wurm

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

If you have multiple clients, close any open clients. IF no open clients, try deleting graphics jar and download it again.

or try budda's step by step:

1. Close out of Wurm

2. Check running processes for any stuck java ones that would be Wurm

3. Relaunch Wurm, see if it works this time. If not, repeat 1-3 one or two times.

If the above doesn't work:

1. Reboot and try again

If you don't want to reboot, or the reboot doesn't work:

1. Go to where you have installed Wurm

2. Open packs folder

3. Delete graphics.jar

4. Relaunch Wurm

ty worked

Very very common issue that's plagued  the client and users for years.

Does anyone know what the cause of this is?   Would like to see it fixed for good... and if it's on the users end what we can do to stop seeing this,

Very often it happens when people are logged into one character, an update occurs in the background while they are logged in, they try to log in an alt, the second client tries to update graphics but can;t because the file is in use. Wurm is kind of unique in that most games/programs you don;t run multiple copies of at once, and if you do they are not all sharing one huge megafile. 

Sometimes it happens if a process "hangs" and you think you are logged out of wurm, but parts of it are still out there in memory. Wurm has had an issue a few times in the past when it did not "close gracefully" and you;d have multiple copies of javaws.exe running after the client was closed, but i think that's mostly from a few years back. 

In a few cases it might be something different -- perhaps windows is scanning or indexing that large file (graphics.jar) at the same time the updater tries to modify the large file. So it can't then sometime borks and you need to completely delete the file and start over. A lot of programs instead use many small files instead of one large GB+ file. Maybe there's now not one but several windows or security based processes that monitor other processes and prevent them from updating cleanly. It might even be something in the way their ISP is downloading a large file while simultaneously scanning downloads for malware, , i dunno.  it could also be your hard drive thinks it is full due to temp files and doesn't have room to copy the file over twice (once to download once to replace) even if you think there is a lot of free space. I don;t think that one happens very often though. 

Most cases the simplest fix is "reboot the computer" because that stops multiple processes from trying to access the same file. In a few cases, the file got snarked up and that's when you have to just delete graphics jar and start over.

It's not always the same cause. I'm not sure there is a single cause, but usually just a reboot is the easiest fix.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1