Sign in to follow this  
Friya

[Released] Vampires and Slayers (a bit of PvP on PvE); server mod

The Game
The primary goal of the mod is to add an element of opt-in PvP to PvE servers. The "currency" stolen between the competing parties are skills and affinities.

There are Vampires and there are Vampire slayers. Slayers can "stake" vampires whenever they find one, when successful, they will get tagged as "hunted", meaning all vampires online can punish this slayer during a set time period. That is, provided they can find and catch them.

Stakers are generally opportunistic and will have the upper hand since they are the ones deciding when and if they want to punish a vampire. For the vampire, everyone is a potential enemy. Always.

This is not a game of fighting in the traditional Wurm sense, it's a game of stealth, betrayal / social engineering, tracking and hunting.

Together with bloodlust, vampire slayers are the ones balancing vampires. There should be people ridding this world of the pesky vampires. Balance was and is a primary concern when I add or change any functionality. The intention is to add *more* perks to Vampires as I feel they should be more attractive.

All in all, this mod sits next to everything else in the game. It is not disruptive nor intrusive, the people that choose to participate are really the only ones involved.

Enabling this mod on PvP servers will screw up some aspects of PvP. For instance, it will enable same-faction one-shot "killing", improved locate spells and probably heaps of other things. Feel free to try, of course. :)

The code
It's a fair amount of code, and the following is merely an overview and is likely far from complete. The project is somewhere around 20,000 lines of code. I will move it from a private repo to a public one after I have cleaned up the code a bit. It will most likely be MIT licensed. For now, though, you can just decompile it. In the overview below, you'll find mostly an explanation of functionality, not code, but in square brackets behind each headline you have the names of the involved class names.

If you have ideas or do any changes, it would be appreciated if you return the favor and share it too. :)

The entire mod is pretty safe, no dodgy hooks are being made using line numbers or similar. Likewise, direct bytecode manipulation was avoided and is not used anywhere. There are a few locations where I could not inject classes in the right package, so had to resort to reflection to make some data public. This takes place at rarely executed code, though.

As a testament to safety, when 1.3 was released, I did not have to change a single line of code in the mod. I did however add new functionality around CCFP and timed affinities, of course.

Very few things are configurable as it stands (it's not been a priority to make this generic). But introducing it on a server is as easy as installing any other mod, removing it is equally easy.

Some links related to the project

Feel free to see all of this as example code.

Dependencies
It depends on another mod of mine, LootTables -- that mod can be found on Wurm Online forums.

How to become a Vampire
It's a mini-quest consisting of the following steps.

• Talk to Dhampira the Ponderer, she will want a papyrus containing some information about Vampires
  • Vampire hunter D is a salesman, buy a staker's kit from him, in there you will find a papyrus sheet
  • Hand the papyrus sheet to Dhampira
  • You now get a clue containing a piece of the map (if you look at the Zenath map in flat view, you will see where this is)
  • Go to the location and you will find Orlok, he will want you to sacrifice a corpse of a champion creature
  • Once sacrificed, you will find yourself a full vampire.

Spoiler

gDcULTt.png

Skill stealing [ActionSkillGain ActionSkillGains]

The primary goal of Vampires is to add an opt-in PVP aspect to PVE servers. The "currency" stolen between the competing parties are skills. That is, a Vampire Slayer stakes a Vampire and a roll says: Take from Vampire's blacksmithing skill.

Technically this works like this: On startup of server several lookup tables are generated stating that e.g. 90 blacksmithing requires 120,000 actions to get.

When a vampire gets staked, I say that the cost of getting punished by a slayer is e.g. 5,000 actions. The amount of skill removed from the vampire at their current blacksmithing would then be a varying amount depending on how high their skill is. The slayer is rewarded the same way, depending on their skill level, 5,000 actions will give them a variable amount of skill.

There are several other factors at play as well. Such as:

• some skills are excluded (e.g. fighting related skills),
  • might not get the full action count because the skill was too low,
  • caps to prevent someone being knocked down too low in that skill,
  • difficulty weights (think: meditation vs digging, ...),
  • preferred skills (i.e. a bit higher chance to steal dexterity),
  • a weight that will make you prefer going after high skilled players

In addition, there's a chance to steal an affinity of a target.

Vampires punishing hunted slayers works pretty much the same way. Difference is that the amount of skill stolen for one bite is a lot less than for one staking. The reason for this being much lower is because all vampires can repeatedly punish a hunted slayer for the duration of the hunt.

One important thing to note here is that there is a net loss "to the system" in skill transfer to prevent abuse. That is, only 80-90% of what is stolen is transferred to the other party.

Bloodlust [BloodlessHusk BloodLust SmallRat]

Vampires cannot eat food. Bloodlust is the biggest drawback to being a vampire. They have to feed on fresh corpses regularly in order to keep their bloodlust down. If bloodlust gets too high, it will start feeding on the vampire, eventually killing it. That said, there are also a number of positive things to high bloodlust.

Bloodlust works in a similar fashion to favor in that it uses a skill to keep track of its current status. Bloodlust at zero means that there is no need to feed at all, bloodlust at 100 means you are getting hurt.

Bloodlust generates slower the higher it gets and if a vampire dies, its bloodlust will be set to 60 if it is higher. For every affinity in Bloodlust, there will be a 10% slowed down increase. If you currently have sleepbonus active, bloodlust will generate at half the pace, this is to be a bit more forgiving towards skillers.

All in all, if you have under 95 Bloodlust you are in no particular danger except that you are drawing close to the fact that you must feed. Above 95 the vampire will take start taking damage at an increasing rate the higher it gets.

The upsides to high bloodlust are: The higher it is, the more your wounds will heal and you will get increased number of timed affinities, CCFP, nutrition. There are more perks to it spread out through the codebase, but these are the things that happen immediately as you feed with a high bloodlust.

At the end of the day: Vampires will never have to worry about nutrition, CCFP, cooking or timed affinities. Vampires will gain timed affinities based on the dead creature and its age when they feed off of it. The creature's name (i.e. troll or greenish wolf) plus its age will determine which affinity you will get, unlike the normal cooking, the affinities gained are the same for all vampires (so information about what aged bull gives can be shared).

When feeding, a bloodless husk is left behind in stead of a corpse. Every bloodless husk will keep a reference to the vampire that fed, enabling slayers to track vampires.

Vampires can purchase small rats from traders (these can be carried) for emergency feeding. They are expensive.

Spoiler

yFIGeuv.png

Aaoadun.png

The console [ChatCommands]

/slayers - vampires only, will show slayers that are currently online
/hunted - stakers only, will show your hunted status
/toplist - vampires only, will show a text version of the toplist

The Coven (chat channel) [CovenChat]

Vampires are encouraged to stay anonymous as that is their best defense against slayers. Vampires have plenty of actions to stay under the radar as long as they modify their playing style and use stealth to their advantage.

And they can't even trust their own kind... so when they first become a vampire, an alias is assigned to them. This alias will be used for all interaction on this channel. As GM you will see the real name behind every alias, no one else can. It's up to the vampires themselves if they want to reveal who they really are.

Names are automatically generated based on user's ID and the timestamp character was created. If someone is incredibly unhappy with the automatically generated alias, it can be modified in the "Vampires" table of the database. I recommend against changing someone's alias for other reasons, though (it's their fault if they were found out).

Spoiler

KcxQf3M.png

Random Loot [CreatureLoot]

Vampires depend on another mod of mine, LootTables. It uses that mod to plant random drops of a couple of items that are needed:

• Crown of Friya (the name of this one is not my fault!)
  • Ancient Amulet
  • Small Rat

Three loot rules are created that add a chance to all NPC's to drop these (~0.3% chance).

In addition to adding the rules to LootTables, it will also intercept all drops and force Crown of Friya to always be rare.

Creatures [Creatures]

A number of creatures are added to the game. A lot of the code in "Creatures" actually went into shutting up and forcing the "NPC" template to stand still. At the end of the day, this was a bad choice of mine, I should have just hooked in and allowed other templates to show up in Local. But, oh well, what's done is done.

The creature templates are:

• Vampire (used for Orlok, head vamp)
  • Vampire Guard (used for guards next to Orlok)
  • Protected Human (used for Dhampira, Vampire hunter D and van Helsing)
  • Domestic black dragon (not currently in use, was part of a plan to let Vampires breed black dragons)

Orlok will always spawn in on the center tile of a GM created zone called "The Coven". If that zone does not exist it will default to a fixed position which should be visible in the server log.

The humans around it (Dhampira, D, Helsing) will spawn near first spawn point of the server. But can be placed anywhere.

Dynamic Examine [DynamicExaminable, DynamicExamine]

For altar of souls I needed to be able to easily attach dynamic long descriptions for items. In order to use it, implement the interface and call listen() in DynamicExamine. See items.AltarOfSouls for the example.

Events [EventDispatcher ShortEventDispatcher]
The mod has its own event dispatching system, these two classes are the ones implementing the calling of them. There is one for longer events and one for shorter (a maximum of 10 seconds). They are separated into two classes because short events are polled a lot more frequently (every 1/20 of a second).

Execution Cost [ExecutionCostFormat]
Since this is a pretty large code-base as far as Mods go, you can enable execution cost of everything in the mod to see how it affects the game. I'll say it right here: it does *not* affect the performance of the game at all. But if you want proof, enable it in the properties file.

Locate [Locate]
This is just a static helper for the various locate spells related to Vampires and their Slayers.

Entry point [Mod]
Entry point of the code. It utilizes pretty much every hook in the modloader, I think. There are some WU code changes applied from this class as well, mainly because I was lazy and did not find proper homes for them in other classes. The file is a minor mess and should be cleaned up.

Priest spells
Vampires add a few priest spells that are available to all religions. This class adds functionality to easily add priest spells.

The spells added are (more info on them at another place):

• Dispel shadows - dispels every stealthed character in a large radius of the caster
  • Pinpoint humanoid - a much more versatile "locate soul" that depend on caster's skill in Perception.

Stakers (Vampire Slayers) [Staker Stakers StakeAction Stake]
Vampires opt in to the PVP when they become a vampire. Stakers opt in when they stake a vampire. When that happens a ninety minute free-for-all biting party starts on the slayer.

A staker is also a valid target as long as they are wielding a Stake of Vampire Banishment, more on this below.

The countdown of the ninety minutes will only tick if the slayer is in reachable wilderness and logged in.

That is, time will not tick if slayer:

• is within an enclosure (an enclosure can consist of fences, house walls, bridges)
  • is in a cave
  • is on deed
  • is not on ground
  • is dead
  • is mounted
  • is floating
  • is ghost
  • is logged out
  • is teleporting
  • is in water
  • is within a banned zone (manually set by GMs)
  • is on a perimeter

The within enclosure is the tricky bit here since Wurmians are generally rather ... curious beings. There's quite a bit of code around this, but to put it briefly: I use rays going out from player, if too many rays hit either fence, bridge or house wall, the time will not tick. The rays are checked against a 2D boolean matrix containing obstacles. It's very cheap if initial check of four rays pass. That said, fetching the obstacles can definitely be optimized (it now queries DB).

In addition to above, a hunted staker will have a few more limitations:

• Their mount will be treated as trait-less (gear will still count the same)
  • They can only lead their mount at most a few seconds (enough to embark, basically)
  • They cannot teleport (on our server, Zenath, Farwalkers are disabled, if they exist in your server they will work)

All vampires will be notified on the Coven channel when hunted slayers log out or in. When the 90 minute hunted period is up for a staker (slayer), they will get the following message:

Your hands finally wash clean of the blood. You are no longer marked as a vampire slayer.

and the vampires will get the following announcement on the Coven channel:

Friya is no longer marked as a vampire slayer. The time of the hunt will now cease!

If a vampire punishes a slayer by biting them after this period is up, the vampire will lose skill points.

Actual staking
A staking kit is obtained by talking to Vampire hunter D, he'll sell a black velvet pouch containing:

• a mirror
  • a papyrus sheet with instructions / warnings
  • a mallet
  • a stake of vampire banishment

In order to stake someone, the slayer needs to wield the stake, activate the mallet and then right click the target (hopefully a vampire). It is advised that they check out the instructions first, and also, they probably want to make sure that target is indeed a vampire. This can be done by using the mirror on the target. Staking a non-vampire will result in death.

Once a stake is equipped, it can not be dropped and can only be unequipped in the following ways:

• Use on a target
  • Get disarmed by a vampire
  • Die
  • Toss in a garbage heap

This is to force stakers to commit and make them unable to cheese it to get the vampires to bite them while they juggle the stake between equipped and unequipped. The reason garbage heap was chosen as the default way to get rid of them is that these items are not portable. You can't bring them with you when you are out hunting.

Things that get checked when you attempt to slam that stake into a vampire:

• Slayers can wield a stake in either hand
  • Mallet must be equipped
  • Target must be vulnerable
  • GMs can stake NPCs (for testing)
  • Vampires cannot be staked in "The Coven"
  • Stakers must have at least 35 FS (this is to put a threshold for possible alts)
  • After wielding a stake, slayer have to wait a few seconds for it to settle before being able to use it
  • Slayer must wait a few seconds between staking attempts (in case vampire dodged)
  • Vampires cannot use the stake
  • If slayer is already hunted, they cannot stake
  • Slayer cannot be mounted
  • There can be at most one tile between slayer and the target
  • Half vampires cannot be punished, staking one will inflict a wound on the staker and the stake is destroyed.
  • Staking a human being will result in the death of the slayer and destruction of the stake

If a vampire is wearing an ancient amulet over their heart, it will protect the vampire. When the amulet is struck by a stake, both stake and the amulet are destroyed.

Striking an amulet of a vampire will not result in a full hunt, but the following *will* happen: The (would-be) slayer will get flagged as biteable by all vampires for a few minutes, but unlike a normal hunt, no other restrictions apply: They can still stake vampires, for instance. But there will be a gap where the would-be slayer is 100% safe to bite since they wielding a stake takes a little while before being usable. Announcements will go out on Coven channel when these "mini hunts" take place, but don't confuse them with a full-fledged hunt since you can get staked.

If I was the vampire here, my immediate action would be: Enter stealth, then bite as many times as I can. The counter by the slayer here would probably have to be leg it, cast dispel shadows, wield new stake, go after the vampire. But ... risky business.

If a stake is made of seryll, this is done by using ancient amulet (see MakeSeryllStake section), a vampire cannot dodge the attempt. If they were an amulet they will still be protected, however. Bottom line is: Ancient amulets are handy for both parties.

A skillcheck is performed between the staker and the vampire. Vampires get a bonus to dodge if it is during the night. The check involves: Dexterity, current stamina level and Perception.

If all of the above is successful, the following will said to the slayer:

You stake the vampire through the heart! The stake banishes it back to the realm of darkness and rewards you for your successful hunt!

Surrounding will see, e.g.

Friya stakes Cenotaph through the heart! Cenotaph is revealed as a vampire and banished to the realm of darkness!

All vampires online will get the following announcement on the Coven channel:

Friya has revealed herself as a vampire slayer!
LET THE HUNT BEGIN!

This happens next:

• a bloody vampire fang is dropped on the ground (this is intended to be part of a repeatable quest in the future)
  • a red beam is spawned on the location (essentially pinpointing exactly where slayer is to all vampires). Vampires can teleport to this location using "assist slain" for the next 10-15 minutes. This can of course be a trap. But whomever staked the vampire cannot stake again, but who says he did not have friends.
  • Skill theft is rolled for and transferred from vampire to staker
  • A roll is done for whether an affinity should be stolen
  • Achievements handed out
  • Titles handed out
  • Vampire is teleported to the Coven
  • Vampire's bloodlust is set to 1
  • Flag slayer as hunted (and everything that entails)

Toplist [Toplist]
Vampires have a shared toplist where you can see who the best hunters are, this is calculated by checking how much skill they have managed to steal from slayers. The name shown in the toplist is the vampire's alias (so they can stay anonymous). There are some checks to determine whether someone is cheesing it from same steam account and such. But the way I see it is: if someone abuse this to get higher on some list -- just remove them from the list and call it a day.

There is currently no toplist for stakers, but it is easily added.

Spoiler

lQdBebk.png

Achievements
There are a bunch of achievements added for both stakers and vampires, some are meta achievements, some are counters and some are normal achievements. Using the method VampAchievements.addAchievement(), it's very easy to add new ones.

Spoiler

f3v02Hb.png

Vampire [Vampire Vampires DevampAction]
In general, most of the traits around a vampire is spread out through this document, this blurb here outlines the Vampire/Vampires class.

Before becoming a vampire you are a half vampire; which is sort of a lead-in to give hints on what is to come around bloodlust, healing, eating. You can at any point stop being a vampire by talking to the NPC van Helsing, but it comes at a skill cost and the cost is higher if you are a full vampire. The skill cost is calculated the same way as staking/biting in that it will deduct an action count from you and this will be spread over multiple skills.

A few interceptions in these classes are: Vampires cannot eat and their bury action is a ritual that takes 1-2 minutes. It's not that vampires are that superstitious, but it was added to make vampires more likely to leave bloodless husks around. Which means people will be able to track them. A creative vampire will still get around this by bringing a cart or a wagon or simply put up with the bury timer.

Stealth for the vampire is an improved tool and is outlined a bit further down.

In Vampires.java there is functionality to create and remove vampires even if they are not online.

Spoiler

qENlj8V.png

Skills [VampSkills VampSkillTemplate]
There are a number of spells related to vampires (and in a few cases stakers). What all skills have in common is that they get "boosted" by skilling up other skills. Pretty much how characteristics work. The skills are intentionally set to be slow.

• Bloodlust
    Works like favor for vampires, see separate section above.

• Dexterity
    Of use to both sides. Increases dodge and hit rate when staking. Skilled up with ropemaking, clothtailoring, chain armour, staff, small shields, weaponless fighting, lockpicking.

• Perception
    Of use to both vampires and slayers. Increases usefulness of locate spells. Skilled up with tracking, traps, channeling.

• Anatomy
    Useful to vampires only. More efficient feeding/devour. Skilled up with devouring, butchering, breeding, milking, taming.

• Crippling
    Useful to vampires only. Increases usefulness of the "cripple living" spell. Skilled up by using and alchemy.

• Disarming
    Useful to vampires only. Increases chance to successfully disarm vampire slayers. Skilled up with fighting defensively.

• Aiding
    Useful to vampires only. Improves the "aid vampire" spell. Skilled up with first aid.

Titles [VampTitles]
It's such a simple thing, really. But dear god, the utter pain you have to go through to be able to add titles. I do say that this is a ... working hack. However, considering the time invested in this, only a few titles were added despite them now being really easy to add. I have lots of TODOs to add new titles for a variety of things but never got around to it.

There are normal titles and there is also functionality showcasing how to bind titles to achievements such as: "stake 10 vampires".

One thing worth noting here is: There are *no* titles awarded to Vampires since they are encouraged to stay anonymous.

Zones [VampZones]
As a GM on a server, you must create a zone called "The Coven". This is where vampires will spawn when slain, and also where Orlok (vamp boss) will spawn. You can set this to be anywhere, but you may want to put it somewhat central on the map since vampires will often go from being staked to hunting down the slayer that got them.

This zone is also part of the "becoming vampire" quest.

Stealth
Vampires have a heavily modified stealth...

• They can cast instant stealth every N Minutes
  • They can move much ... much faster (faster than running non-stealth)
  • Undetectable by other players (regardless of range)
  • Can use a number of actions in stealth without them breaking it: bite, cripple, crown-find, devour, disarm, fly, sprint, trace, smash, assist slain

Stealth still has a high chance of breaking on pavement. But in general, plank and packed dirt are excellent, they will give increased speed that will not break stealth.

Most actions that can be performed in stealth will give messages to the surrounding, but they will never include the actual name of the performer. Instead it will be something like "a shadowy form does this-or-that" and similar.

General Actions [vamps.actions.*]

A really really brief overview of some of the actions.

Abort
        Vampires only. Ability to abort offspring on a pregnant creature every so many hours.

AdminDevamp
        GMs only. Devamp a vampire for free.

AdminVamp
        GMs only. Make a player a vampire without them having to go through the quest.

Aid
        Vampires only. Send a small rat to another player, name is not revealed, the vampire alias is used as sender.

AssistSlain
        Vampires only. Teleport to the location where the last vampire slaying took place, lasts for 10-15 minutes.

Bite
        Vampires only. Punish a hunted vampire slayer or someone wielding a stake of vampire banishment.

BuyKit
        Everyone. Talk to Vampire hunter D to buy a vampire staking kit. These kits can be purchased with either a 5 silver coin, an ancient amulet or a Crown of Friya.

Cripple
        Vampires only. Cast "cripple living" on a hunted vampire slayer or their mount to slow them down. Long range.

CrownFind
        Everyone. Wear Crown of Friya, then use "Find" on it to locate a two legged friend. The useage is free, but the one you locate will get a message saying where *you* are when you use it.

Devamp
        Half vampires and vampires only. Talk to van Helsing to devamp.

Devour
        Vampires only. Used to feed on a corpse. See bloodlust section.

Disarm
        Vampires only. Used to disarm stake of vampire banishment from a vampire hunter.

Fly
        Vampires only. Teleport to the Coven.

HalfVamp
        Everyone. Talk to Dhampira the Ponderer.

HalfVampClue
        Everyone. Quest clue you got from Dhampira the Ponderer.

Labyrinth
        GMs only. This is supposed to be a vampire spell down the line, but still TODO. Do not use in populated areas ;)

LabyrinthRemove
        GMs only. This is supposed to be a vampire spell down the line.

MakeSeryllStake
        Everyone. Stakes can be converted to seryll when combined with an ancient amulet. A seryll stake is undodgable.

Mirror
        Everyone. Use on a player to determine whether they are a vampire or not.

PolishMirror
        Everyone. If you mirrored a non-vampire, you'll need to polish the mirror. Polishing has a chance to consume the pelt.

SacrificeAltarOfSouls
        Vampires only. Sacrifice corpses to altar of souls to use at a later stage. See Altar of Souls section.

SacrificeOrlok
        Half Vampires only. In order to become a vampire you have to sacrifice a champion corpse to Orlok.

Sense
        Vampires only. Use on a pregnant animal to see what offspring will look like when born.

Smash
        Vampires only. A fast attack spell (can only be used as fight starter) that hits hard. Requires 30 dexterity.

Sprint
        Everyone. It has a cooldown, for vampires this cooldown is reduced.

Stake
        See separate section.

Stealth
        See separate section

ToplistVamps
        See separate section

Trace
        Everyone. Use on bloodless husks to see direction and distance of whomever sucked this corpse dry.

Items [vamps.items.*]

AltarOfSouls
        A mechanic added around bloodlust's soulfeeding. It is intended to make it easier to AFK but still not make soulfeed irrelevant.

1. Acquire or create an Altar of Souls (create with high level masonry and improve likewise, rock + clay to start). This is a luxury item, really. You don't NEED one.
  2. Clear a 5x5 area in a mine (it must be free from any other items).
  3. Flatten the area.
  4. Place altar in the middle.
  5. Sacrifice corpses at the altar.
  6. Stand near the altar.
  7. When soulfeed starts, provided the altar has power, you will no longer get hurt. The vampiric beast within you will feed from the corpses in the altar. WTB old corpses.

Amulet
        Ancient amulet, used by vampires to protect their hearts from stakes. Used by slayers to buy stakers or to convert wooden stakers to seryll stakes.

Crown
        Free locate spell, but it will also reveal your position to the one you are locating.

HalfVampireClue
        A quest item that gives a hint where Orlok is located (currently hardcoded for Zenath, will probably make configurable)

Mirror
        Used by slayers to identify vampires.

Pouch
        Container holding a staker's kit

SmallRat
        Portable food for Vampires, vampires can also send these to remote players using the "Aid vampire" spell

Stake
        The stake of vampire banishment. See stakers/staking.

VampireFang
        Dropped by a vampire when they get staked. Stakers should pick these up. They will be used for a repeatable quest.

Questions and dialogs [com.wurmonline.server.questions.*]

This is somewhat dodgy, and a TODO, they all use the same question ID for now. I have actually not checked what the drawbacks to this is.

Aid
        Form to submit who should be aided (with a small rat).

DeVamp
        Warning dialog for when you de-vamp.

HalfVampClue
        Information dialog where Orlok is located.

PinpointHumanoid
        Used by Crown of Friya and the "Pinpoint Humanoid" spell. This class contains the bulk of the code that improves the locate spells depending on the Perception skill.

Toplist
        Information dialog containing the toplist of vampires that bit slayers.

Priest spells
    Dispel Shadows
        Dispel any stealthed targets in a large radius around caster.

Pinpoint Humanoid
        A much more precise locate spell that depend on the Perception skill.

Spoiler

shffC60.png

Proxies
Scattered through the codebase you'll see proxies. These are injected classes into Wurm packages to get around access restrictions.

TLDR
Browsing through the source tree I made some quick notes of what functionality is included in the mod:

forms and windows, enum modification, loggable prepared SQLite statements, SQLite script runner, real maze generator, skill gain simulation, favor-like skill, console commands, cooldowns, anonymous chat channel, alias generator, useage of LootTables mod, creature templates, dynamic long descriptions, locate methods, new priest spells, event dispatchers, persistent data (incl. upgrading), enclosure detection, a lot of interceptions in WU's code base, useage of virtual zones, player toplist, new items in traders, new achievements, stealth modifications, bury/eat modifications, actions that will not break stealth, multiple broadcast methods, a heap of custom skills, skillup system based on other skills, new titles, abort offspring, teleportation, simplified trade action, cripple action, skill dependant locate spells, random timed affinities from feeding, CCFP modification, wound healing, disarm, quest, sense offspring, damage spell, sprint spell, proper skill and affinity stealing, particle effects, animation and sound invocation, dodge/hit implementation, new tracking spell, craftable items, chargable items, new containers, bunch of questions/forms, dispel stealth, more sophisticated locate... and heaps more.

But mostly ... it is a fully functional game element added to WU.

Spoiler

ZsQjbgj.png
[the source tree]

Enjoy!

Edited by Friya
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Friya said:

You now get a clue containing a piece of the map (if you look at the Zenath map in flat view, you will see where this is)

Now trying the mod on my local server, starting to be a halfvamp

can you tell me where i find the zenat map to go to orlok? or where on my map could it be?

Eject

add:

i beleive i do some wrong, now have an altar of souls but no option to sacrifice a corpse

Edited by Eject

14 hours ago, Eject said:

Now trying the mod on my local server, starting to be a halfvamp

can you tell me where i find the zenat map to go to orlok? or where on my map could it be?

Eject

add:

i beleive i do some wrong, now have an altar of souls but no option to sacrifice a corpse

You have to create a zone called "The Coven", center of that zone is where Orlok will spawn. I'll make that clue image configurable, I'll post an update a bit later.

Altar of souls, have not heard of any problems with it. Do you fulfill all the requirements to have it working? 5x5 flat area in a cave and *no* other objects around? Sacrificing is done by activating corpse, then right clicking altar.

Edited by Friya
  • Like 1

Hello Friya

I created a zone typ: name with the name you said, bu i created the zone after i started the server with the mod. maybe Orlok spawned anywhere befor the zone was created?

As i see, i also cant summon orlok with the wand.

Yes the altar is placed in a 5x5 flat cave (created with wand) maybe some rocks are called as objects?

This mod is so big mate, i began to translate all your descritions that you give us above and with your links for my players, and test here and there, thats so awesome =)

Eject

Edited by Eject

There will be log entries regarding NPCs locations. It should clearly state if they failed to spawn.

If Orlok exists, it should say this, if he was spawned, it will give some notifications on that too.

[11:53:34 PM] INFO com.friya.wurmonline.server.vamps.VampZones: Getting or creating a Vampire spawn-zone
[11:53:34 PM] INFO com.friya.wurmonline.server.vamps.VampZones: Found a zone called The Coven, good.
[11:53:34 PM] INFO com.friya.wurmonline.server.vamps.Creatures: Orlok existed. Good.

As for other NPCs:
[11:53:34 PM] INFO com.friya.wurmonline.server.vamps.Creatures: Vampire hunter D Exists. Good. There are 1 of them: [Creature [id: 372142670593, name: Vampire hunter D, Tile: VolaTile [X: 1354, Y: 439, surf=true], Template: CreatureTemplate [id: 113, name: NPC Human, modelName: model.creature.humanoid.human.player], Status: com.wurmonline.server.creatures.DbCreatureStatus@3d3b4e09]]
[11:53:34 PM] INFO com.friya.wurmonline.server.vamps.Creatures: van Helsing Exists. Good. There are 1 of them: [Creature [id: 372159447809, name: van Helsing, Tile: VolaTile [X: 1341, Y: 432, surf=true], Template: CreatureTemplate [id: 113, name: NPC Human, modelName: model.creature.humanoid.human.player], Status: com.wurmonline.server.creatures.DbCreatureStatus@5dc9d25a]]
[11:53:34 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.Server: Lag detected at Zones.pollnextzones (0.5): 0.046 seconds
[11:53:34 PM] INFO com.friya.wurmonline.server.vamps.Creatures: Dhampira the Ponderer Exists. Good. There are 1 of them: [Creature [id: 372176225025, name: Dhampira the Ponderer, Tile: VolaTile [X: 1351, Y: 446, surf=true], Template: CreatureTemplate [id: 113, name: NPC Human, modelName: model.creature.humanoid.human.player], Status: com.wurmonline.server.creatures.DbCreatureStatus@686fb58a]]

As for spawning Orlok, simply spawn/summon a vampire while giving it the name Orlok and all will be fine.

As for altar of souls, rock shards is definitely an object. Even a gem on the ground will prevent the altar from working.

Edited by Friya
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Friya said:

As for spawning Orlok, simply spawn/summon a vampire while giving it the name Orlok and all will be fine.

As for altar of souls, rock shards is definitely an object. Even a gem on the ground will prevent the altar from working.

thanks for the hints =)

As a side note on Altar of Souls, the reason I made it this way is to make it a bit harder to grind skills within the area of the altar. The altar's functionality is to enable you to AFK safely, even if you get soulfeed, without making bloodlust's downsides completely obsolete.

There's an updated download which allow modification of the "half vamp clue" image. It can really contain anything, it does not have to be a map fragment.

Edited by Friya

28 minutes ago, Friya said:

"half vamp clue" image

thats cool, is the update fresh? i downloaded the mod 15 hours ago

anywhere you told, its possible to spawn npc vampires if no player vamps are online, is it possible to enable this in the future via properties file? if yes, would be good if you could eg set the number of vamps you like to spawn at the map and/or the time when players can see the vamps - for npc vamps it would be cool if they come just by night ^^

Eject

Edited by Eject

Not sure if this answers the question, but:

The vampire template can be spawned whenever. It's just a creature template without any real functionality, other than being part of a quest, vendor or devamp, ... They really have no relation to players flagged as vampires.

The vampire vs slayer is ... player vs player only.

i see...thanks again :)

now i am at work but tomorow morning i can test all because now i know how to find orlok hehe ;)

after this continue translating the description and at mondey we will start at our public servers, i let you know what the peoples said ^^

i am sure we will have a lot of fun

Eject

Edited by Eject

A couple things I noticed while testing this out. Otherwise a great amazing mod you have put together here! Stellar job my friend.

1. The stake says "[00:31:29] The magical runes of the stake are fused to you. You can get rid of the stake is by throwing it in a trash heap or using it on a Vampire." when I try to unequip it but all I have to do is toss it in the trash then pull it back out and it is in my inventory as if I unequipped it. Maybe make it so you can just unequip it or not be able to pick up after it is in the trash.
  2. "[00:29:17] Dhampira the Ponderer leans over to carefuly pierce your skin with her lethal fangs... What could possibly go wrong..." The NPC that was spawned for Dhampira the Ponderer is a male. Also, carefuly is mispelled.
Edited by Governor
  • Like 1

if i need a new stake because i used one on a vamp, i have to buy a new complete set from the trader?

Eject

add: have we safe the coven zone or it it not possible to found a deed there?

Edited by Eject
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Governor said:

A couple things I noticed while testing this out. Otherwise a great amazing mod you have put together here! Stellar job my friend.

1. The stake says "[00:31:29] The magical runes of the stake are fused to you. You can get rid of the stake is by throwing it in a trash heap or using it on a Vampire." when I try to unequip it but all I have to do is toss it in the trash then pull it back out and it is in my inventory as if I unequipped it. Maybe make it so you can just unequip it or not be able to pick up after it is in the trash.
  2. "[00:29:17] Dhampira the Ponderer leans over to carefuly pierce your skin with her lethal fangs... What could possibly go wrong..." The NPC that was spawned for Dhampira the Ponderer is a male. Also, carefuly is mispelled.

Thank you!

The tossing of stake in the garbage heap and being able to grab it again is very much intended, actually. It's not the greatest mechanic of them all, but:

1. I did not really want to incur an extra cost for the slayer just because the opportunity was lost

2. I wanted to assure vampires that if they find a hunter (slayer to-be) with a stake equipped, it is a safe target to punish

3. Exception to two then being: if they are near a garbage heap, you better be careful when you attack

Reason for garbage heap is really: It's not a portable object, so a slayer cannot bring it with them when they are out hunting vamps.

Awesome finds when it came to typo and gender! I'll do an update later today :)

• Like 1

istn this mod for multiservers? some players teleport to a neighbour map (without the mod) and loss skill, some after the second teleport.

Eject

one player lost all skills, all at 10 some at 20

47 minutes ago, Eject said:

istn this mod for multiservers? some players teleport to a neighbour map (without the mod) and loss skill, some after the second teleport.

Eject

It's multi-server, but since it contains skills/titles/etc/etc/etc you have to have it installed on every server that players can travel to.

Check out the configuration option enableSkillsOnly in the .properties file, this will essentially keep everything intact when crossing servers, but vampires are disabled.

• Like 1

if vampires are disabled, what can i do than with the mod?

Eject

25 minutes ago, Friya said:

It's multi-server, but since it contains skills/titles/etc/etc/etc you have to have it installed on every server that players can travel to.

Check out the configuration option enableSkillsOnly in the .properties file, this will essentially keep everything intact when crossing servers, but vampires are disabled.

2 minutes ago, Eject said:

if vampires are disabled, what can i do than with the mod?

Eject

Meaning that if you have the mod enabled on the main server, install it on all others but use enableSkillsOnly in the .properties file only on the servers that you don't want the vampires on. So you would still have vampires and all features on the original server.  When players transfer to another server, they will retain all skills but there will be no other features of the mod enabled on that server.

ah ok, that was than my missunderstanding =)

yes i need the vamps on all servers, i just installed it today on my loginserver and than was the problem with the skills after teleporting to the neighbours.

i missunderstood that " this will essentially keep everything intact when crossing servers, but vampires are disabled. ", so skills will work again on multiservers but vamps are off lol....sorry =)

Thank you for the explaination

Eject

vamps dont die after stake the heart and dont spawn in the coven

add:

is it so, vamps can bite more times but stakers can attack just oner time the vamp?

Edited by Eject

There's really only one thing you need to do to install and that is create that focus-zone, alas, I forgot to include one rather important detail:

The spawn point for vamps will be under ground -- so make a mine where at least the center tiles of the zone is mined out. The zone does not have to be big, up to you.

Let me know if that works. If you see "Found a zone called The Coven, good." in your log, that bit is working at least.

Below is a screenshot of the cave I dug out. It's got rather big empty areas, in it you have a trader, a altar of souls, some torches, Orlok and a few of his guards. There are also a number of exits to prevent spawn camping. But ah, anything goes.

Spoiler

ExvbILe.jpg

• Like 1