Sign in to follow this  
Bosh

Dogs dogs dogs!

So recently I started breeding a few dogs for fun.  As I'm sure you are aware all dogs look identical and have no traits or purpose in game terms.  I think it's time to change that, let's give dogs some love and value!

In an ideal world I'd love to see the following:

*1* New breeds/models, or even just new colours on the same models.  This is porbably the simplest idea to implement and is just for eye candy/QoL.

Spoiler

dog-breed-groups-679x483.jpg

*2* Give dogs some traits, similar to horses.  This opens up a can of stuff though, what can dogs be good for?  Well how's about giving them:

-The ability to track, or link them to a deed and allow them to 'lead' the player to that location.  

-Make them good at fighting.  Perhaps for use as war dogs, or if this is feared as too OP or PvP unfriendly, what if dogs can be attached to kennel building like a guard tower.  Instead of calling Guards!, I can call Dogs! to have them attack my target...?

-Give them speed traits so that they can be used for major idea #3.

*3* Dog carts.  These exist in real life, not just on sledges.  I propose a new small cart type pulled by 1 or 2 dogs, designed to carry 1 passenger and very limited inventory.  And perhaps a slightly larger one for 4-6 dogs, able to carry 2 people or perhaps 1 and a small crate etc... Hell maybe just make the dogs attachable to the existing small cart??  I know horses do this job admirably, but more cool stuff isnt necessarily redundant.  Perhaps the dog cart could have a lower stat requirement to drive than a horse cart, or be faster but carry less etc etc

Spoiler

CamCart.jpg

dog carting!

tl;dr give dogs some love plx!

• Like 9

I love dogs.  They are better than most people I've ever met.  Give them a purpose in game other than early FS targets.  I still have a hard time killing dogs in game.   So +1

One dog that would fit into wurm really nicely is the Irish Wolfhound. TOTAL medieval / fantasy breed. I have one IRL and they're great :P 

e634691254efb6c02ad1feabbdac7bf6.jpgb673dd6a7c82994d9adbd72f4158542c.jpg

• Like 4

They also bark to remind me of trees. No leafs on em though.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Actually, one thing dogs can do in game is let you know when an aggressive mob is nearby. 

For instance, say you are a noob, you're hanging out in your 1X1 house and can't see outside very well... the dog will currently take an aggressive posture if there is a troll at your door.  Also applicable by the campfire if too dark to notice impending doom.

True story.

+1 very +1 to all suggestions above.  I would be partial to:

australiancattledogsf1.jpg

Edited by Reylaark
hanging out in *you* house didn't seem right. Added R.
  • Like 1

You should be able to train them to be tougher for fighting.

I hardly think dogs are going to unbalance PVP -- people use Champion trolls and worse now.

bitmap1527287291_orig.png

I seriously think DOGS would help new players get more emotionally attached to the game, especially if you could work with the dog to teach it specific tasks. 

• Find Water!  (similar to divining, you instead work on a skill with your dog)
  • Point at Prey!     (deer, cows, sheep, pigs, etc)
  • Alert!     (bark if aggressives near)
  • Find Home!  (lead lost player back to their bed tent house)
  • Help! (similar to calling tower guards, dog does not need to be on a leash or clicked on)
  • Follow! (Dogs do not need to be lead on a rope, more useful than "come here", the dog will always follow until you say to stop)
  • Give kissies!

3.20.15-New-Study-Shows-Dog-Kisses-My-Be\\

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 10

No no no! 

Fantastic idea but there are game breaking mechanics that need tended to before any more content is added. 

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

No no no! 

Fantastic idea but there are game breaking mechanics that need tended to before any more content is added. 

I'm pretty sure the devs can walk and chew gum at the same time ;)

Couple of training aids:

s-l300.jpg(Brass Clicker)TB1meDWPFXXXXcUaXXXXXXXXXXX_!!2-item_pic(Silver/Brass Whistle)

As a related reminder:

Cattle dog in action for those larger Wurmian Milk/leather/meat ranches:

+1, these are all great ideas! Let's add that some of the stronger / more aggressive of the breeds come in champions and other conditions like greenish, fierce, etc. I'd also love similar things for cats - different breeds, and some non-aggressive house cats as well.

Edited by Attenia
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Attenia said:

+1, these are all great ideas! Let's add that some of the stronger / more aggressive of the breeds come in champions. I'd also love similar things for cats - different breeds, and some non-aggressive house cats as well.

Non-aggressive cat if kept well fed.  Kills and eats you in your sleep if left hungry for too long. :P

• Like 2

I also just started breeding dogs, got one with "strong body" :) This will never get implemented, but sure, +1 from me.

All Bred animals (dogs and cats included) get traits, and can become "5-speed". I like the idea of having dogs with greater purpose than pelts and decoration.

+1 from me.

Oh man would love to have a Dog pulling a cart that follows you around.  +9000

Just a reminder, as the recent thread about possibly adding more horses got me thinking about it.

Viking-Dogs.jpg