Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Catapult and Trebuchet testing!

4 minutes ago, Budda said:

As per my reply above. Items are items, they aren't walls or anything. If the projectile lands in range to hit 3 walls, 12 creatures, 2 floors, and a pile of 50 dirt - it will hit all 3 walls, all 12 creatures, both floors, and one piece of dirt from the pile. 

Ohh.... That's pretty awesome. Thanks for the clarification. Sowwy ;)

2 hours ago, Budda said:

As per my reply above. Items are items, they aren't walls or anything. If the projectile lands in range to hit 3 walls, 12 creatures, 2 floors, and a pile of 50 dirt - it will hit all 3 walls, all 12 creatures, both floors, and one piece of dirt from the pile. 

yes thanks for that, that's awesome. Can you fix priesting on Test server so I can make a token pit to test catapulting.

Standard wardeed schematics made by propheteer if anyone wnats to make one on test:

https://pastebin.com/raw/HhF8c1UQ

6836750c1a.jpg

bf4e13076d.jpg

Edited by Egard
  • Like 2

Add in lumpy terrain around it, as nothing ever perfectly flat, if dev's are serious about testing this stuff let me know when you actually have test deeds set up like the one above, although I think that is a miniroll design =p

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Add in lumpy terrain around it, as nothing ever perfectly flat, if dev's are serious about testing this stuff let me know when you actually have test deeds set up like the one above, although I think that is a miniroll design =p

0105eb04d1784da0b3bdf1e312ba9696.png

• Like 13

poor attitudes and improper feedback lead to delays in testing and getting things pushed to pvp.

If the PvP community REALLY wants to see improvements within the game feel free to work with us.

If you wish to respond poorly, or argue over whether dev attention on pvp is incorrect, then it will be much harder to get any improvements in pvp and the situation will not improve.

• Like 5

Test servers updated.

Changes:

• Fixed checks along the path of the projectile to use the proper positions. Should make blocking by walls etc slightly more accurate.
  • Turrets and archery towers will now have their range increased based on their QL. Base ranges are the same of 3 tiles for turret and 5 tiles for archery tower, then increase up to 5x that range at 100ql.
  • How often turrets and archery tower can shoot is now modified by the QL as well, up to 33% faster at 100ql.
  • When a turret has a chance to fire but fails, it will now do an animation without firing any projectiles.
  • Changed the projectile checks for turrets and archery towers to use their proper height, instead of checking near the ground.
    • This means they should be able to shoot over walls etc if they are high enough - they just need direct line of sight between their firing position (near the ball for the turret, top of the tower for archery tower) and their target. Will need some testing.
  • One missed note that would've been on test yesterday: Added an event message when changing the firing angle to give the approximate firing distance.

For those that are finding it hard to grasp anything more difficult than 1 winch = 1 tile, there is a handy calculator you can use here to figure out how far you'll be firing: http://www.convertalot.com/ballistic_trajectory_calculator.html

Starting speed is the number of winches, angle is the angle you're firing at. Y offset is how high above your target you are. Tiles are 4m wide.

How dos one get to the right sever says im always connecting to the cooking pve sever?

Using the test client (3.99zm) there does not appear to be any way to interact with a catapult

zUMGNYH.png

The unstable client (4.00-1b925ea) crashes and becomes unresponsive

Exception in thread "Job executor 1" java.nio.BufferOverflowException
    at java.nio.Buffer.nextPutIndex(Buffer.java:521)
    at java.nio.DirectFloatBufferU.put(DirectFloatBufferU.java:297)
    at class.X5nF8VFapC.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:276)
    at class.C44osihSNB.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:4307)
    at class.zOGyKXqI17.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:2380)
    at class.Vnr6InK1qF.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:177)
    at class.dMve92WOc5.run(SourceFile:86)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Exception in thread "Job executor 2" java.nio.BufferOverflowException
    at java.nio.Buffer.nextPutIndex(Buffer.java:521)
    at java.nio.DirectFloatBufferU.put(DirectFloatBufferU.java:297)
    at class.X5nF8VFapC.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:268)
    at class.C44osihSNB.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:4307)
    at class.zOGyKXqI17.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:461)
    at class.MSNI8ZZrqn.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:505)
    at class.xMzn05XQNx.FZOk5L6Gfy(SourceFile:275)
    at class.dMve92WOc5.run(SourceFile:86)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

This is on the 'cooking' test server with macOS 10.12.4, Java 8 Update 121

thats just in the client name, typing /who will tell you you're on oracle (or baphomet if you go to the pvp server)

how do you get to the pvp sever?

[09:48:30] 4 other players are online. You are on Oracle (6 totally in Wurm).

Edited by icbash

Ignore the bit about interacting with the catapult - must be a long time since I last used a catapult.... forgot to activate the rock to load it...

3 minutes ago, icbash said:

how do you get to the pvp sever?

[09:48:30] 4 other players are online. You are on Oracle (6 totally in Wurm).

The crystal portal in the cooking deed

3 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

The crystal portal in the cooking deed

SIgh.... i was worryed ya would say that there is something on cooking test sever and must of wurmunlimited sever that crash my game... epic chaos and all freedom sever,s work, find must test sever dont work becuz of what ever reason....NO I CAN NOT UPDATE DRIVERS...... been down this road 100time's. its something that on the sever. in render range that crashes my diver's. if you find out what is is and remove it prob fix the prob. is the Crystal portal dif model then the normal one must starter town's?

2 hours ago, Budda said:

For those that are finding it hard to grasp anything more difficult than 1 winch = 1 tile, there is a handy calculator you can use here to figure out how far you'll be firing: http://www.convertalot.com/ballistic_trajectory_calculator.html

Starting speed is the number of winches, angle is the angle you're firing at. Y offset is how high above your target you are. Tiles are 4m wide.

seriously?

that hardly seems handy

• Like 2

It's pretty straight forward, but is in response to those who wanted the formula.

Hi, Just wondering if you can explain the results of a catapult test, i know how to fire a catapult but trying to work out the info below.

[16:17:21] [TEST] Projectile rock shards landed, damage multiplier: 7.9863467, damage: 20.0 total things hit: 8. Total distance: 64.48895m or 16.122238 tiles.
[16:17:21] It sounds as though the rock shards hit 4 walls, 4 floors, and nothing else.

This was with an 80ql rock shard, 80kg lump which is kinda normal to fire if raiding.

In regards to the 8 things that said was hit with one shot, is this just connecting tiles edges since it says 4 walls were hit.

also is there any way to work out the damage this shot would do to the 50ql building it hit without trying to find it to check?

If the shot is hitting items outside of the tile of contact, will people in the area get damaged too? only asking as they will probably be people around trying to repair.

same goes for just wondering why it says i hit 4 walls on 4 floors with one shot. 

Using the catapult i didn't find any issues just trying to work out the data due to the messages have confused me a bit.

Edited by shakys

How long will this be up on test for, due to limited playtime and other things haven't had a chance to jump on to test after the initial release. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Egard said:

How long will this be up on test for, due to limited playtime and other things haven't had a chance to jump on to test after the initial release. 

Same here, I plan to give it a good 1 over this weekend and an hoping it will be up until then also.

8 hours ago, shakys said:

Hi, Just wondering if you can explain the results of a catapult test, i know how to fire a catapult but trying to work out the info below.

[16:17:21] [TEST] Projectile rock shards landed, damage multiplier: 7.9863467, damage: 20.0 total things hit: 8. Total distance: 64.48895m or 16.122238 tiles.
[16:17:21] It sounds as though the rock shards hit 4 walls, 4 floors, and nothing else.

This was with an 80ql rock shard, 80kg lump which is kinda normal to fire if raiding.

In regards to the 8 things that said was hit with one shot, is this just connecting tiles edges since it says 4 walls were hit.

also is there any way to work out the damage this shot would do to the 50ql building it hit without trying to find it to check?

If the shot is hitting items outside of the tile of contact, will people in the area get damaged too? only asking as they will probably be people around trying to repair.

same goes for just wondering why it says i hit 4 walls on 4 floors with one shot. 

Using the catapult i didn't find any issues just trying to work out the data due to the messages have confused me a bit.

Damage multiplier is a number made up from the velocity, weight and quality of the thing you're firing. Damage is the final damage that is dealt to everything hit (if an item is hit it receives a fraction of that instead) - so in this case the 4 walls and 4 floors you hit would've taken 20 damage each (before any damage reduction modifiers that those walls/floors have - this is the same damage cap that the old code has).

Depending on how the house you hit is set up and where you fire determines how many things you're going to hit. I would guess for this specific one you have something setup like this: http://prntscr.com/eq4m2g

In this sort of situation, you fire and land something at (or close to) the red x, the projectile is going to be in range of those 4 walls, and all 4 floors on that second storey (pretend the planned floor is actually completed - just left it planned so you could see the walls underneath) - so they will all take damage.

This is the sort of things you should be looking out for when testing: Where the projectile is landing, how many things nearby it is hitting, and how close to the landing position (where the puff of dust is) those hit things are. I'm not 100% sure if the damage radius of the projectiles is too large or too small atm, so some feedback on that would be good. E.g. if your test above wasn't landing at the corner of 4 tiles and was actually hitting floors above and below - then the damage radius might be a bit high.

Currently the radius is determined by the size of the item being thrown (actual measurements, not weight), and i tried to balance it against the sizes for rock shards - so its possible its off on some other items.

1 hour ago, Egard said:

It'll be a while yet, a week or two at least.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 6:56 AM, Retrograde said:

poor attitudes and improper feedback lead to delays in testing and getting things pushed to pvp.

If the PvP community REALLY wants to see improvements within the game feel free to work with us.

If you wish to respond poorly, or argue over whether dev attention on pvp is incorrect, then it will be much harder to get any improvements in pvp and the situation will not improve.

Please dont forsake the entire pvp community because of the toxic players it attracts, there are many of us who want things to improve and would be more than willing to work with you.

Some quick thoughts from a short test tonight didn't get deep into it so its only some small suggestions.

When you get the message "The small catapult will now throw approximately 0 tiles. [TEST] angle: 45.0 power: 0" I noticed it says test than shows the angle and power, not sure if this would be hidden in the live game but some one paying attention can max or min angle to get a base angle and keep track of winches so if this would be hidden in live it seems silly not to make the message more like "The small catapult will now throw approximately 0 tiles with an angle of 45 and 10 winches".

On that same note when examining the catapult instead of "A small four wheel catapult designed to be dragged by one person. It could be used to hurl items at walls and fences. It is made from birchwood. It could be improved with a log. Ql: 65.81613, Dam: 0.0." would be nice to include the current winches and angle same as changing the winch/angle.

Nothing major, just some thoughts from my first time playing with your new changes, I overall love the idea of angles and initial speed that will let people actually learn he mechanic and possibly speed up raiding slightly because you don't have to fire shots at high angles mandatory like the old system though a more deep testing this weekend could change my opinion on this but from first glance looks like it could make things much more clear once we learn the finer details of the new system and learn some base numbers and what slopes do to it.

• Like 2