Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Wurm and internet speed

I'm looking at getting a new computer sometime in the next few months. One of the main reasons for this is that my current computer can only run one Wurm window at a time, which is infuriating when trying to work with priest alts as well as my main. I've been told that I need to get a larger RAM, which I intend to put on the list of requirements for the new computer. My question is if I want to run multiple Wurm windows, will I have to upgrade the internet as well? My current speed is up to 4mbs per second. Assuming I had sufficient RAM, how many Wurm windows would I be able to run at once with that? My long term goal is to be able to run 7 or 8 so that all my priests can be online at once gaining favour and doing sermons, but for now I'd be happy with two, possibly three at once. Should I upgrade the internet for this when I get the new computer?

mmmm I guess the main question is are you building your computer or doing a premade from dell/hp/etc?

Edited by Launcelot

Probably building, unless I can find a ready made one that fits all of my requirements, which is doubtful. But the make of computer doesn't have anything to do with the internet speed, does it?

Make as in brand? no internet speed has to do with you internet service provider... now if you are doing things like gaming wirelessly then hardware has a hand in that but brand/marker no.

gpu is for graphics and cpu is for things running in the background (layman's terms) you will need RAM since java is a eater of RAM but there is more to look at than just RAM to be playing multiple clients. I dont know your budget/what you know in terms of tech/a comp you can toss in 2 years or a comp that lasts 6-8years that you slowly upgrade... but a quad core cup, with a decent gaming gpu and 8gb of ram should be able to run 8+ clients np. I would get 16gb, 2 sticks of 8gb in dual channel for system longevity since a new system will mostly have a mobo that has ddr4 RAM and will not have to be upgraded for the life of the system.

Edited by Launcelot

If I get all of those things will I be able to run the 8 windows without having to change the internet?

mmm i don't know much about internet to be honest, I would have to look at my bill/call and see what my internet speed is but as long as you aren't having connection issues now on wurm I do not think you will need to upgrade it with multiple clients. I think my ISP gave me 3 opinions when setting up cable and my internet... i just picked the middle one in regards to internet speed since it seemed to have the best value XD. Someone else would need to chime in if 4mbs/sec is a good speed or not. 

computer hardware end tho you will have 0 issues.

Edited by Launcelot

Please do a lot of research here on the forums, before setting anything in stone.  I have an msi 970a krait edition motherboard, amd fx-8320e 3.2ghz 8-core cpu that is liquid cooled and overclocked to 4.0ghz running stable, 16gb low latency dddr3 ram, and a amd radeon rx 480 8gtb graphics card.

I am able to run games like Fallout 4, Skyrim, Grand theft auto 5 on the max settings just fine.   Wurm.... I can't max settings without going under 60fps and wurm isn't even the most modern of games.

Wurm is that one game that no matter what you buy it just never plays nice with it, unless you go with intel related cpu's (or so I found out)

well... amd and the 8 core is prolly not helping much with wurm or any/most games >.> <.< but yeah a lot of research should be done regardless. Wurm will never run as smoothly as modern games no matter what... java and larger games have teams of people working on optimization for lower end pcs etc. Plus you should never buy for 1 game only. There are many factors to look at when it comes to PC performance... and a lot of conflicting personal experiences because of the interchangeability of computer parts. If you have specific questions Attenia you are free to PM me and I will do my best to help you through buying and what things mean. However, I only buy Intel, I have for the last *insert all years* so I have 0 experience in the naming and stats of AMD cpu and gpus.

*wow all those spelling errors... I am not sleepy what so ever*

Edited by Launcelot

I have an amd x4 phenom running at 3.68GHz, 8GB memory and a Geforce GTX 960 4GB. Using max settings at 2560x1440 resolution gives me anywhere from 80 - 110 fps. I have 2 "slave" alts that I sometimes log in together with my main when I have alot of work to do. My slave alt clients run everything at pretty much the lowest settings. With all 3 logged in my main has around 50 - 65 fps. Internet connection should not affect fps only your latency. If you have network lag issues already it will probabely get worse with more clients.

What is you current system info?

I don't really get all the technical talk... All I know is that my computer throws a fit if I try to run more than one Wurm window at once, but I'm not sure how much of that is the internet and how much is the computer. It freezes and goes not responding, and refuses to turn no matter what I do when I'm trying to do two windows. It's easier to walk backwards.

16 hours ago, Attenia said:

I'm looking at getting a new computer sometime in the next few months. One of the main reasons for this is that my current computer can only run one Wurm window at a time, which is infuriating when trying to work with priest alts as well as my main.

Your problem is solved then. Just play Wurm on both your new and old computers at the same time. I have done this for many years with the second computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard just off to the side. Pretty easy really once you setup the offside computer rig. Then all you need to do is just move your hand to the other maybe small table to control keyboard and mouse.

This way you can monitor both players and alternate the chores that they do, with perhaps the offside computer doing things with long timers so you don't need to be using that side computer as frequently as your new main computer. Even a laptop can be good for the second one since mouse, keyboard and monitor are all combined on it. Old style "double boxing" used for games like UO when you need to have a backup healer/rez mage for the main fighter/tamer. Works very well to this day, once setup for accessibility and budget permitting.

=Ayes=

That wouldn't help for the internet, though, would it? Once I get the new computer I'm going to make sure that the system doesn't have a problem running multiple windows, but if my internet isn't fast enough for more than one Wurm at a time, it won't matter if I'm using one computer or two; right?

I don't really need help with the hardware bit. My boyfriend works with computers and he can help me with what exactly I need in the new computer. He doesn't know about the internet speed required, though, so I'm hoping someone here will know specifically about that :)

Edited by Attenia

Wurm use very little bandwidth. It around 5 kbit/s per client. It more about what else you use internet for while play, streaming movies or similar.

Oh, that's good! I generally only have some internet windows open while I play Wurm - facebook, email, google calendar, etc. Those don't take much bandwidth to run either, right? I pause streaming movies when I play. So hopefully the internet will be fine then. Though when I first started playing, I had 1mb/second internet, and it was completely non-functional - I'd right click something and wait for ten minutes for the menu to replace 'refreshing'. I upgraded my internet to 4mbs/second, and it was fine then, at least for one client. Does that mean that my original 1mb/second internet was actually running at less than 5kbits/second, or did Wurm used to use more bandwidth? This was about two years ago.

Attentia,

One question I would ask would be does your computer have a seperate graphics card (like made by ATI or Nvidia) or is it one of the cheaper computers that runs with 'Intel onboard' meaning an Intel video chip built onto the motherboard (the main computer itself, not an added card)?

I ask because i'm unfortunate enough to have an old Dell PC that has an Intel chip for graphics rather than a seperate graphics card and by design that 'Intel onboard' graphics chip grabs system memory (RAM) to use instead of having its own built-in seperate graphics memory (vRAM).  The effect includes making it very difficult to run multiple windows of Wurm Online because they're all grabbing loads of memory.

My actual net bandwidth is very good, it's not lagging due to slow bandwidth.  Instead, it's a Frames per Second 'lag' due to the poor graphics capability on this computer and I'm wondering if you're having to deal with the same.

Note: If you have a streaming movie / youTube video open while playing Wurm Online, that film is still taking up some (alot of?) graphics memory even though by being paused it's not grabbing internet bandwidth at the time.

Edited by Tristanc

I travel for a living - on planes. I play Wurm from the airplane internet (slow and laggy) at 35,000 feet for hours at a time with no problems.  The game uses almost no bandwidth. A web browser uses more.  

Short answer: any internet connection you have can support multi boxing.

Edited by Finndar
  • Like 1

Attenia, my connection is slower than yours and I have no issues running 5 or 6 clients at a time. That in until one will start using all of my CUP and it has to be restarted. Sounds like you could be dealing with that as well.