Sign in to follow this  
HexD

Combat Rating

CR in spell effects  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Show CR in spell effects window

The ones saying no, care to give a reason? I'm curious why you wouldn't want to know or why you wouldn't want others to know.

I think because then people would always be able to meta-game in combat.

How so?

What we have now is meta gaming. Players use information garnered from private conversations with devs and Rolf over the years to know their CR whilst those who don't have access to that information have to figure it out themselves using information accessible in-game.

"In role-playing games, a player is metagaming when they use knowledge that is not available to their character in order to change the way they play their character (usually to give them an advantage within the game), such as knowledge of the mathematical nature of character statistics, or the statistics of a creature that the player is familiar with but the character has never encountered. It can also include plot information, such as renaming a character with a false name to their real name before it is revealed."

Source

Allowing everyone to see their own CR negates the meta gaming rather than enables it.

• Like 2

Would be good idea to have separate window with cr, height and flanking relative to each opponent you are fighting. But I dont think they can do it.

• Like 1

Less numbers.. If you make more numbers visible, it will be even more counterproductive to PvP.. Ontop of SOTG requirement you will see also "we cant accept you unless you have x CR"..

There are accepted minimums for recruiting based on cr and stats for most kingdoms already .

As for posting other, instead of showing in spell effects which is highly unlikely for the devs to accomplish due to the amount of variables, just make a clear considered post outlining all stackable cr for those who cba figuring out the mysteries 

Edited by Postinglels
  • Like 2

Clearer documentation would be a good alternative.

Kind of on the fence personally. On one hand Id prefer to preserve the "black box" feel of not being sure what exactly is going on. Kind of helps the immersion for me. On the other hand, knowing what's going on, helps debugging immensely. Let alone catching some ###### exploiting something.

One example I was personally involved in (EDIT: not to mention enough time and space to avoid stepping on toes), during several pvp clashes for a particular natural landbridge on Chaos (fording and bridges were only a VERY distant dream at the time), there soon arose some very wonky behavior when it came to taking down a particular player's character. Even the most skilled hardcore pvpers in LO had trouble landing hits, even when it became 4 or more against 1. Hell at one point there was like five of us plus a couple zombie trolls on the char, and it was ridiculous how long it took. (On a related note, that death dropped a player-crafted "Heirloom" armor set, which instead of playing along with the "flavor text" we - in true style as Libila-worshipping, cannibalistic, evil-doers - sacrificed it to our Dark Mistresses' greater glory. Heh fun times).

Unfortunately I digress, the player in question would claim it was due to having ridiculously high shield skills, deep understanding of the CR system, or w/e blather he would spew out on a given day. Long story short, we watched the char like a hawk and scrutinized everything. Granted the player was a long-known convicted cheater on numerous previous occasions, so that helped narrow it down. Shared information with GMs, and the player ended up being caught on at least two exploits.

Yeah sure there's Wurm Universe now, and a much of the game's fundamental algorithms are at the perusal of the public. Though, keep in mind there's quite a bit of difference between the codebases for WU and WO, simply in just bug fixes and new content. Not to mention what the devs intentionally keep out or change.

In addition, I've seen far too many players treat pvp like its a pure numbers game; as a result, they either put off playing pvp till later levels or end up not doing it at all. Sure taking efforts to buff one's CR helps... a lot. However, there is so much more impact even a low CR can have, and I don't mean the hell of dealing with freebie, suicide alts. Although, such chars can be a good example of the kind of shenanigans when one sheds the fear of "dying".

I still to this day snicker when I recall Zerobyte running out balls-naked, wielding scorpion corpses, to beat people even during "serious pvp". Or even further back to the original Sye player with her battle chicken and death stick. Several other similar memories from which I still draw great amusement.

Unfortunately relying on CR as a sole measure simply encourages an elitist form of mindset that discourages new players coming in. Personally its far better to encourage players to just jump into the damned water already and try it out. Focus on skill grinding is better performed when one is distracted having fun with one's mates.

Edited by Klaa

+1

Leaving (some) gameplay mechanics a black box in MMORPG is a romantic utopia. There're two paths a game can follow - a perfectly logical natural system that doesn't require providing numbers to players and explaining how everything works, and the one where you explain everything and attach a label with a list of numerical characteristics on everything that isn't obvious. Following any other path will fail big time.

But it's not just about some CR indicator, i'd go further: everything that affects CR (and other things) should tell you so, i.e. hovering over Fighting skill should spawn a popup telling you every 10 points in this skill raise your CR vs critters by 1 and CR vs players by 2, hovering over stance skills should also tell you what and how much they affect, certain conditions such as footing, position etc should also report their effect... et cetera. Unless, of course, we're playing a perfect sandbox... which doesn't exist.

• Like 1