Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

This is a Question. Why isn't butcher tied to skill???

Everything should be tied to skill and I was just ASKING why this isn't true of the butchering skill? I'd like to have someone who actually develops the game to answer this because it really has me scratching my head since everything else is tied to skills. This is in no way a suggestion but rather a QUERY as to why this skill is exempt. Are other skills exempt from producing materials higher than the skill level? Just WONDERING. Not suggesting a thing. I wanted to make that perfectly clear. 

There is no harm in asking a question of the developers. People do it all of the time.

This is actually a very good question. One me and my friends have discussed at length. Why a game system that leans heavily on skill vs reward should abandon that for a few skills.

Since my post was removed....

There is harm asking silly/stupid questions, unless you really cannot comprehend simple mechanics. You do understand when you create any product (including software development) that not everything has to have a linear path right?

Maybe it's possible someone wanted a randomness to butchering products tied to skill, years and years ago? Maybe the recent changes have nothing to do with that said implementation and person years ago? Maybe changing it would imbalance the system and piss more customers off? Maybe you cant understand any of this?

I forgot i better add a few of THESE.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clatius said:

There is no harm in asking a question of the developers. People do it all of the time.

Your continuous push of the "query" could make for a change that no one wants. And you're supporting the nature of your query by stating that things should be uniform across the board. So, in essence, you're asking for a change... but not directly. Or you're asking for the other stuff to get reverted by presenting this argument (which, by the way, never works around here.... you should know by now that you don't make an outlandish suggestion to the Wurm team in hopes that they will see their previous mistake and that they'll correct their bumble up, because they won't. They'll just implement your outlandish idea too).

Stop poking the sleeping bear. You really don't want to be bit and neither do any of the rest of us. 

• Like 1

But it works in Wurm forums.. If you beat the dead horse long enough, there will eventually be desired action from staff.. From that angle, no spine from the team, and players use it well.

Because everything doesn't have to work the same.  Personally, I like that some things don't work exactly the same as everything else, but then I'm not OCD about this stuff. 

I have a whole different class of stuff to be OCD about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clatius said:

Everything should be tied to skill and I was just ASKING why this isn't true of the butchering skill? I'd like to have someone who actually develops the game to answer this because it really has me scratching my head since everything else is tied to skills. This is in no way a suggestion but rather a QUERY as to why this skill is exempt. Are other skills exempt from producing materials higher than the skill level? Just WONDERING. Not suggesting a thing. I wanted to make that perfectly clear. 

I was under the impression that butchering skill does play a part though.  Perhaps not in QL directly, but don't people let the person with highest butchering skill do the butchering in group situations?

Pretty sure that's a thing.

I think the higher your butchering skill, the better chance you have of getting everything from the beast, be it meat+fur+teeth+etc.  At low skill, you will get less meat, run the risk of no pelt, might even be no meat unless you're using a rare butchering knife then you are guaranteed at least 1 meat.

I think that's different than other gathering skills, isn't it?

• Mining = guaranteed an ore of vein type no matter what.  Skill capped QL.
  • Foraging / Botanizing = guaranteed to get something from action if tile works.  100 skill, 1 skill, doesn't matter, tile dependent.  If there is something to be found, you'll find it.  QL is now like mining (I think, right?)  Skill capped QL.
  • Gardening (flowers?) = guaranteed to get something.  Not skill capped, but QL/damage affected by skill which will then affect planting.
  • Forestry (sprouts?) = guaranteed to get something, eventually.  Not skill capped, but QL/damage affected by skill which will then affect planting.
  • Milking = guaranteed to get something, QL always 100?  Can't remember, been a while.  Skill capped QL?
  • Woodcutting = guaranteed to get something.  Skill capped QL.
  • Harvesting = guaranteed to get something.  Skill capped QL.

However,

• Butchering = not guaranteed to get something.  Higher skill = better chance of actually getting more stuff(I think).  QL random (completely random?  not sure)  Guaranteed 1 meat if using rare butcher knife, random QL, that's a tool thing, not skill related.
  • Others like this? = could be, I'm hungry, think about it later.

I know you're hoping for an answer from a dev, and maybe that will happen.  Would always be interesting to get an inside perspective on their thinking process... but in the meantime, guessing is free.  Thoughts?  Corrections?  Lottery Numbers?

sidenote: if they were to tie QL to skill when butchering, it seems they would then have to make it guaranteed that at least 1 of everything drops each and every time a butchering action is taken? Not sure that's a trade-off people would support.  My money is on not.

I think it also works kinda like lockmaking, in the sense that the higher the skill the higher the quality of results more consistently? I haven't done any real testing, but I think this is what I was told when I asked others. Better chance of all materials dropping and better average quality.

37 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

I was under the impression that butchering skill does play a part though.  Perhaps not in QL directly, but don't people let the person with highest butchering skill do the butchering in group situations?

Pretty sure that's a thing.

I think the higher your butchering skill, the better chance you have of getting everything from the beast, be it meat+fur+teeth+etc.  At low skill, you will get less meat, run the risk of no pelt, might even be no meat unless you're using a rare butchering knife then you are guaranteed at least 1 meat.

Butchering skill does matter, at 90+ butchering with 90+ knife I pretty much never fail to get everything from the beasts.

The quality of the loot is still pretty random, but I think it should be a bit random, here is some of the loot from my latest hunting trip. Rare ql 96 knife with bronze rune of Libila.

Spoiler

1FKjPpD.png

• Like 2

See, that's what I mean. You have consistently higher better quality mats. My skill level is about 20ish and I get stuff averaging the 25-45ql. I almost never get anything 75+ and 100ql is unheard of. Definitely skill does matter.

That being said, that meat would look awesome filling my pans for my skill ups. Chop chop!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boilingfort said:

Butchering skill does matter, at 90+ butchering with 90+ knife I pretty much never fail to get everything from the beasts.

The quality of the loot is still pretty random, but I think it should be a bit random, here is some of the loot from my latest hunting trip. Rare ql 96 knife with bronze rune of Libila.

Hide contents

1FKjPpD.png

whoa...

That's an impressive haul, and one heck of a knife!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

i think that you should be extremely lucky to get something 100ql from butchering...i mean, how did you kill the mountain lion without damaging the fur (pelt)?

runes or just willed it to die from mind skill, intimidation from the epic gear and weapons displayed caused cardiac arrest, random roll, or maybe an extremely acrid body odor overpowering the olfactory senses causing extreme caustic nasal bleed out... you be the judge.

seriously  just leave it alone

• Like 1

butchering is capped at corpse ql, if the corpse ql is damaged the effective cap on ql on butchered products is brought down.

It's pretty simple, it's just tied to corpse ql, like lockmaking is tied to iron ql, shafts are tied to log ql and so on.

skill, tool ql and runes increase success chances and ql output higher to the cap.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

butchering is capped at corpse ql, if the corpse ql is damaged the effective cap on ql on butchered products is brought down.

It's pretty simple, it's just tied to corpse ql, like lockmaking is tied to iron ql, shafts are tied to log ql and so on.

skill, tool ql and runes increase success chances and ql output higher to the cap.

Thanks Retrograde. That's interesting. I had no idea a corpse had a quality level. Is the corpse quality level modified by age? If I cut down an overaged tree it seems I'm more likely to get lower quality level wood. If I kill a venerable croc will I be more likely to get lower quality level butchering items?

Corpses decay over time, which lowers the effective ql.  No idea if you can mend them.

10 hours ago, Pyro said:

i think that you should be extremely lucky to get something 100ql from butchering...i mean, how did you kill the mountain lion without damaging the fur (pelt)?

You've never seen a pelt or a skin in real life that wasn't shredded to pieces? No fur jackets or bear skin rugs or anything like that? Taxidermy?

Some weapons make very small puncture wounds.

Hmmm, I though I had made a post here responding. Although I can't recall the exact content it did seem pretty sensible and inoffensive. Guess you never know. Maybe this one will vanish too but if it does it would seem more deserving than the last. Ah well.....

=Ayes=

• Like 1

On 25/03/2017 at 7:18 AM, Ayes said:

Hmmm, I though I had made a post here responding. Although I can't recall the exact content it did seem pretty sensible and inoffensive. Guess you never know. Maybe this one will vanish too but if it does it would seem more deserving than the last. Ah well.....

=Ayes=

You didnt. You may have posted elsewhere

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:18 PM, Ayes said:

=Ayes=

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

You didnt. You may have posted elsewhere

If you are telling the truth(And that's a stretch) his may not have been deleted but mine was.

2 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

If you are telling the truth(And that's a stretch) his may not have been deleted but mine was.

I'd advise following the forum rules then, if you have a post removed contact a forum mod about it, don't make a post about it because that will get removed too.

• Like 1

On 27.3.2017 at 6:36 AM, Greyfox said:

he made a post, it didnt break any rules, so it still exists. hes just looking in the wrong thread.

is the post he's referring to. the initial one was moved and this one was re-created. ayes just didnt notice.

• Like 1

I was always under the impression butchering did increase butchering skill.  Weird if it doesn't because I always remember it giving my butchering skills.  How do you grind up butchering skills if not for the butchering action?  o.0