Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

WO Account Escrow

With all the issues on selling and buying accounts, was hoping Code Club would think about doing their own Escrow for account sales?  Then Wurm Online can make a percentage on the transaction also (incentive?).

Wurm Online controls the account ownership so makes sense for Code Club to host the Escrow so the accounts can be locked and traded without relying on the trust system between people and paypal.

A huge part of WO is buying/selling accounts and I think Code Club needs to embrace this.

i've never even heard of a game taking control of the market for selling accounts like come on you really think this will happen

This type of system was taken care of by what were called trusted middlemen I'm many other games I've played. 

I have once upon a time offered these services to the public to be a middleman. The issue though is the middleman in this game would have all the responsibility and with PayPal being stupid and players being aholes the middleman would be in the biggest position of being screwed. 

Pretty soon though Wurm will have a better system with allowing sharing of accounts and the system will also be used to be able to identify who the real owner is of an account so that will help when it comes to account transfers. 

18 hours ago, nicedreams said:

A huge part of WO is buying/selling accounts

Is that really true? I must be missing out. 10 years and i've been playing this game all wrong...

I think Code Club needs to embrace this.

And I think they need to disallow the practice. I mean, you said it yourself....

With all the issues on selling and buying accounts

The problems that account selling bring to the table far surpass the benefits that certain types of people receive from the practice itself. It muddies player reputation, it creates loopholes in security, etc.... all for someone to take the easy way out and not grind/invest time themselves.

• Like 2

Well, seeing as how I've always been opposed to account sales in the first place, gotta -1 this one.

• Like 1

codeclub should sell banned accounts & their items for 100% profit!

• Like 2

I can think of another game who profits from character transfers. They transfer the character to the new buyer's account for a nominal $20 fee. This is the only way within the rules to allow a character transfer.

This of course makes it difficult for us given characters in WO are the actual accounts, but I presume a system can be thought of for it. This also brings the issue of charge backs. Given charge backs are a thing, I don't think Code Club should entertain account sales where real money change hands with this system. Real money can be charged back, silver cannot. Anyone wanting to purchase an account can get the silver from another player, and if it's not enough, they can get it from Code Club itself.

Until the chargebacks issue can be resolved, no - it's just too much of a can of wurms.

Seller puts his character on the Wurm character auction service -> Buyer is buying silver from shop -> Buyer pays for the character in silver -> Buyer gets the account -> Buyer confirm that everything is ok with character -> Seller gets silver/euro from CC (Seller can choose)

18 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

-1 to any kind of account transfer

But there are account transfers already so what's the point for -1?

Didn't Rolf set up an agreement with playerauctions.com, which is essentially what the OP is requesting

The buying and selling of accounts diminishes the whole concept of this game, that being to gradually raise your characteristics and skills over time. The very slow advancements of these aspects is specifically designed to add value to time spent within the game. For the game developer to then allow and endorse the selling of these accounts to others is in direct conflict with this concept. In turn it trivializes the work and time over the years that all those who have developed their *own* characters have put into them.

Purchased accounts are just ghost shells of players from the past and I fail to see how those who have advanced their *own* characters can have much if any respect for those who inhabit them. The game concept has been damaged and degraded enough already by this endorsed policy of account sales. Let those who choose to purchase accounts take the responsibility upon themselves for the results, as the person in charge has "wisely" sought to make themselves immune from any repercussions as a result.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Kabill said:

codeclub should sell banned accounts & their items for 100% profit!

I would pay top dollar for the poolsclosed account

11 hours ago, Ayes said:

The buying and selling of accounts diminishes the whole concept of this game, that being to gradually raise your characteristics and skills over time.

I have to disagree. Gradually raising characteristics and skills over time may be the "concept" of the game for you, but for others it may not be as important.

For me, personally... I don't enjoy grinding skills without a purpose. I enjoy exploring and building deeds. I could enjoy these things more freely if I didn't have to sit and grind my skills to do things I want to do, so I appreciate having the option to buy an account that will allow me to do what I want to do with the game without spending weeks, months, years playing "catch-up." (As an example... My account is my own, I've never bought or sold a toon before. I just like having the option to, if I wanted.)

So if buying/selling toons isn't for you, don't do it. But don't remove the option completely for those who just happen to have different interests in the game than you do. Different people have different priorities and they should not be penalized for that.

-1 to the suggestion, though. People can take care of their own sales and they know the risks before they engage in an account sale or transfer. Why put more on CCAB's plate? We're (for the most part) all adults here.

Edited by Joelle

3 minutes ago, Joelle said:

I have to disagree. Gradually raising characteristics and skills over time may be the "concept" of the game for you, but for others it may not be as important.

For me, personally... I don't enjoy grinding skills without a purpose. I enjoy exploring and building deeds. I could enjoy these things more freely if I didn't have to sit and grind my skills to do things I want to do, so I appreciate having the option to buy an account that will allow me to do what I want to do with the game without spending weeks, months, years playing "catch-up." (As an example... My account is my own, I've never bought or sold a toon before. I just like having the option to, if I wanted.)

So if buying/selling toons isn't for you, don't do it. But don't remove the option completely for those who just happen to have different interests in the game than you do. Different people have different priorities and they should not be penalized for that.

-1 to the suggestion, though. People can take care of their own sales and they know the risks before they engage in an account sale or transfer. Why put more on CCAB's plate? We're (for the most part) all adults here.

Look at just the last year and see all the problems that allowing out of game real cash transactions have caused.     I know no game can stop all real cash transactions, or character sales, but by allowing them Code Club invites scammers.    The only reason it isn't seen more is because Wurm is a low profile game, lotta risk for little gain in scamming here now.   

"People can take care of their own sales and they know the risks before they engage in an account sale or transfer."    That's cute, naïve as hell, but cute, if that was accurate no-one would ever get scammed, in RL or in games.   It would be nice if it worked that way but throw greed, hope and money it a bowl and someone looses.