Sign in to follow this  
Milosanx

Wurm Unlimited | Should it be default 10x Faster?

Many may disagree about this, but here are my thoughts on WU and it's default skill gain and action speed.

Warning - I do get off track sometimes, but let's face it, you guys are used to it

Enjoy :)

Wurm Unlimited | Prospecting with Milo

Edited by Milosanx
edit
  • Like 2

Hey milo,

Always love watching your videos (as you mentioned!) but I figured I'd offer a few replies as I watch it, so it may be a little long.

Speeds

WU does start with 10x and 10x speed as default, most large server admins tone it down due to avoiding the server developing too fast. A lot of the appeal in wurm is that things take time to achieve, and there's a real sense of accomplishment in the simple things, I'm sure many people remember the first house they built because it felt like SUCH an achievement, even if it was a 1x1.

A big thing with the speeds is how quickly a server develops, WU servers at 10x speed become developed quite quickly, but are small communities in 90% of cases. The youngest server on freedom is 4-5 years old, and I can assure you that in 5 years a 10x server will be incredibly overdeveloped Independence is the oldest freedom server and is about 8-9 years old, could you imagine it in another 80 years?

Silver

Considering silver is Wurms premium currency, the ability to make it ingame is quite a big change compared to other MMOs, that usually operate with an ingame only currency, as well as a premium currency, so I feel that the idea is a little strange to make the premium currency more available without the need to actually purchase it. This is where the ingame currency handles it in other games, you make ingame money from the game and then if you wish to buiy premium currency you pay RL money

Most MMOS have ingame gold, which is obtained by selling items and killing monsters, then they have "Gems" or "points" or whatever they wish to call premium currency, which is purchased directly from them and is used to buy things from their special store.

The fact wurm blends these two means that it places more value on ingame currency while a lot more flexibility with premium currency., the fact you can earn rare coins ingame means it's open to everyone and doesnt require slaying a hundred monsters for your upkeep.

Chests

Also, the chests are from WO, they are a unique epic feature to encourage roaming and exploration. They aren't a freedom thing and are pretty unique to Epic. I could see the mechanic being the same without the obvious expensive loot inside though (lumps of moonmetal and other rarities) but even so, pretty much epic, and a good feature for there.

Horses

Wild horses are slowed by players inventories and weight, and gives incentive to breeding faster horses, it's not a grind block, it's simply something to aim for. You'll be faster on plain horses if you have less fat and less weight in your inventory.

I'm really not sure what you mean about letting the horses have colours, when they spawn they have a chance of a new colour, all existing horses already had their colour traits. all you had to do was breed them to give the chance of the trait, there was NO hold back there, there's tons of wild new coloured horses out there, there is nothing special with them spawning in WU.  When we released the new colour textures for hell horses all existing hell horses received their respective textures because these were not new traits, simply textures for existing traits. New traits added for the new colours meant NO horses had that trait, and they had to be born (or spawned) to have the new options available at the time of determining the traits

Devs watching

Devs do watch videos, and I actually spend time discussing content with the developers. My job is also relaying information, so quite often my responses aren't me talking, i'm simply relaying information from the discussions.

All in all, it's good to see more videos, and it's always good to see discussions and opinions shared, I will say that sometimes there's reasons things are done, and while we do our best to provide those reasons as we move forward, some of the past ones (prior to me) were a little confusing, and thus lead to players assuming odd things.

We've worked hard on removing a lot of the strange time wasting activities, and always have our eyes on more, but there's a reason you have to work for your goals, and that's because that's what wurm is about, setting tasks that take time to achieve, and that sense of accomplishment that comes with a job well done.

• Like 3

About silver - on Otherlands it's a purely in-game currency, there is no cash shop (unlike WO and many WU servers) and no way to earn it out of game. As such i have more freedom to give it out for various activities in game, and i hope it will lead to a healthy economy developing in time, that doesn't involve RMT.

Also i agree that chests would have been a great addition to WO PVE servers. If there's one thing they really need is reasons for people to get off their deeds, and chests are a very good way to achieve that.

• Like 1

Retro, 

I as much as There are something I'd like to see change in WO, speed would not be one of them.

As for server development, there is always going to be a huge cost for taking up server pace. So unless you are willing to pay out ridiculous amounts of cash, the server will get just as crowded at speed or not.

I don't see why a speed increase to irl horse speed couldn't hurt? you still need to unlock and breed in the traits anyway and one on the main reasons to keep levelling AH is for the carefors. I did not know that all colours are available in the wild, I thought that you had to breed them to get the new colours. Pretty sure Malena breed like 300 horse to get all types.

Chest on freedom would mean anyone has the chance to make some extra money by getting something from chests. A big thing that hurts WO is new player don't have very good means to make money. 

My main point is that there should be a distinct difference from WU to WO and Otherlands shows that. I would love to see some of Bdew's mods added to WO as they are fantastic and most can't hurt WO at all. I have another video coming off my most favorite mod and mechanic of wurm. Stay tuned.

I don't have all the answers. But there needs to be more incentive for players to play WO, especially with candy WU offers. For Codeclub it's all the same money and I love seeing the WU going up. All in all, WO is my favorite part of the game, but there are so many Quality of life changes that could make the game not easier but more intuitive. eg, why does shards go to a pile and dirt goes into your inv? pls pls make more things available to be done while mounted.

Anyway, these vids are for discussing. There will be more!

Edited by Milosanx
edit

Wouldnt adding mods from WU to WO mean they became similar?

Things that can be done while mounted, and the digging and mining thing is often raised, and some make sense, while some dont, being able to pave from a cart is odd, but digging and levelling from one is absolutely unbalanced in terms of gameplay.

There have been a ton of quality improvements, and there will always be improvements there, it's also a balance on dev time for addressing existing issues while also working on future projects, we have several in the works and almost every update we put out comes with quality of life changes, things that eliminate the silly tedium that doesnt affect skill.

Rifts, and some recipes are WO specific, and more projects in development will be WO only, the thing about WU is mods will always be much more open in terms of impact, as smaller WU servers can be somewhat unbalanced (I dont think anyone would be surprised at the claim some mods are definitely not designed for WO)

You have some good points, but I dont think they fit in the "make WO unique" category, the struggle is having WO scale content that doesnt make the WU content feel stripped, as much as some will claim anyways.

As far as the *default* speed of WU it could be anything, as long as the server Admins have the ability to set it as they wish. If some server Admins want to set their server as 1x1 and others want to play on it I see no problem with that, although personally it would hold no appeal to me. If you like the *limitations* of a 10x10 speed, no problem either. If some want a higher speed that 10x10, great! This is one of the big differences and draws of WU in comparison to WO, that being the variety of this *speed* aspect of them.

Then there are the different mods added to them and the different rates at which to accumulate in game coins. All these things add to the variety in the gameplay of each WU server that will draw players to them for a different variety of purposes which appeal to them. So many choices here that WO can never provide with their one size fits all, take it or leave it gameplay. Once a player from WO tries out a variety of these WU servers they will get to experience this variety and start to understand its significance in attracting players with these diverse interests in gameplay.

Then two things will sustain these WU servers. The motivation and dedication of the server owner to keep it going, adapting it to their own and the players desires. The second being the appeal of the gameplay it offers in terms of skill/action speeds, mods and ability to make in-game coins to purchase either deeds, special server items, or player trade. Ultimately of course if the server owner decides it is no longer of interest to them, it's the End, which is the insecurity of it all. Then again, there's always another one as a backup if a player enjoys playing on a few of them.

Yea, some of these mods (bins sorting item QL by 10 intervals) and adjustments to creating items (concrete=1 clay+1rock shard) would be of benefit to WO as well. Already a few creative ideas from WU have been snuck into WO unacknowledged and I suspect this will continue to be the case (not for concrete of course) if the stubborn refusal to positive change can be overcome. Still, now we have an option never before offered in the WU alternatives to Wurm gameplay, so lets not try once again there (in WU) to impose our views on how others should play it, which is a futile endeavor anyway.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Milosanx said:

I don't have all the answers. But there needs to be more incentive for players to play WO, especially with candy WU offers.

Keep in mind that in the future, WO will be getting "candy" that WU will not (which was quite evident to everyone with the cooking update and the blatant difference in amount of recipes).

Not going to lie, I came back to WO months ago because of that whole cooking thing. I really like WU (and how much better it runs on my crappy computer), but I'm not going to bother with it too much if CodeClub is going to intentionally hold back on content there. I'll put it on the shelf and pick it back up in the future when WO goes offline.

I'd say the strategy they've chosen is somewhat effective. Worked on me.

8 hours ago, Milosanx said:

I did not know that all colours are available in the wild, I thought that you had to breed them to get the new colours. Pretty sure Malena breed like 300 horse to get all types.

oops sorry my first comment was from reading comments here, I only now got caught up to 21:00 mark where you mention getting new horse colors on WO (I thought you meant on either WO or WU)

I think on WO the issue is only because there simply are not that many wild horses on the servers anyway so rare because ultra super mega rare. Even finding regular greys on WO is nothing like the massive herds on WU, which makes finding that 1-in-100 not so bad.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

You have some good points, but I dont think they fit in the "make WO unique" category

I'm not looking to change WO drastically, but there are things that can be added from WU that wouldn't impact it hardly at all in a "WO unique sense. If the dev want WU to be the draw card for the masses thats cool, I just think there are things that can be done to bring WO to a modern setting without attacking it's uniqueness. Even with huge changes to WO it is still unique imo.

Spoiler

I'll put it on the shelf and pick it back up in the future when WO goes offline.

There have been many opinions like this that people had when buying WU. I would never want WU to phase out WO, not that it is my opinion that WO would get shut down. But helping it into the modern age is not a bad thing if done the right way.

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Things that can be done while mounted, and the digging and mining thing is often raised, and some make sense, while some dont, being able to pave from a cart is odd, but digging and levelling from one is absolutely unbalanced in terms of gameplay.

Just reread this. There are so many things in Wurm that don't make sense. But there are often left there and not addressed. This is why the term 'wogic' is always used. What about dirt piles on ground then, are they to be added. We have this with shards, why not dirt?

5 hours ago, As_I_Decay said:

Not going to lie, I came back to WO months ago because of that whole cooking thing. I really like WU (and how much better it runs on my crappy computer), but I'm not going to bother with it too much if CodeClub is going to intentionally hold back on content there. I'll put it on the shelf and pick it back up in the future when WO goes offline.

I can understand this viewpoint as well. I really enjoy the variety offered on WU and have largely discovered that as the grind has disappeared with higher skill gain/action speeds the amount of creativity that is now available to me has significantly increased as well. Calypso is a good server to try out if you want to see a server that is focused on no real grind and maximum creativity.

With that said, I also like PVP. If WO brought out a new single PVP server that's 5 - 10 x skill/action then I would seriously and very strongly consider premium for a new account and give that new server a real try. I really have no interest in playing the grind game anymore at 1 to 2x speeds.

• Like 1