Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

Reducing PVP FUD

i think the main reason why these merge discussions keep coming up, is that the threads where we talk about actual changes and work out stuff seem to just be that, talking...

i am refering to "that meditation thread" for example

also after you sat down with all the kingdoms and talked about all the issues the pvp community faces there were changes coming quite quickly, but it only lasted like 2-3 weeks, didnt it?

after that the news were about marble planters again and nothing was said about pvp

especially with this meditation thread, i think people are waiting for a news update, cause it seems like a well worked out system we got there and yet we didnt hear a thing about it anymore

In regards to the initial pvp discussions I had, the original plan was my feedback being worked on by the in house team, rolf, alex and erik (erik probably being the main one as he worked on the valrei stuff too)

Of course, that landed in with the announcement of alex and erik leaving, which threw things sideways, and then budda taking the PM role,  things were kind of disheveled.

A lot suggested in there has been pushed through, especially the inssues with information minister, DR stuff, sotg reductions (though many wanted it flat out removed)

So I do understand it felt dropped off, but we are reaching the point where we can start sharing the PvP works we have, and discussing how they will impact the game and what our plans are.

• Like 3

At this point SOTG nerfs aren't relevant anymore, nearly everyone has SOTG that bitched about it 3 years ago. I feel like there are more important things to look at besides nerfing a meditation path that nearly every PvP player has who takes PvP seriously. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pedro said:

At this point SOTG nerfs aren't relevant anymore, nearly everyone has SOTG that bitched about it 3 years ago. I feel like there are more important things to look at besides nerfing a meditation path that nearly every PvP player has who takes PvP seriously. 

I have to disagree. Anything that puts a barrier to entry in the months of being able to complete in pvp needs a rework. Wurm is already so based on who has the better account having a mechanic in place that says you can't beat me for x amount of months is just poor design. 

30% was a step in the right direction but it still easily the most chosen pvp path. That alone should tell you that the nerfs are indeed relevant.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Olloch said:

I have to disagree. Anything that puts a barrier to entry in the months of being able to complete in pvp needs a rework. Wurm is already so based on who has the better account having a mechanic in place that says you can't beat me for x amount of months is just poor design. 

30% was a step in the right direction but it still easily the most chosen pvp path. That alone should tell you that the nerfs are indeed relevant.

Excellent post Olloch.

Additionally, I liked the idea of tomes and deities at first, but nowadays I am not so sure if they are a great idea in wurm. (I have stoneskin myself, so I am not biased in this) of course the main negative would be removing or changing a unique piece of ingame content, and I am sure those who paid for said abilities would also not like to see a change. So putting out an argument is like trying to direct a kite in hurricane force winds.

5 hours ago, Olloch said:

Wurm is already so based on who has the better account having a mechanic in place that says you can't beat me for x amount of months is just poor design. 

people keep focusing on accounts but not gear

yes, accounts make a massive difference, there is no doubt to that.  but people can grind as this is a grindy game afterall and nothing blocks that, not going to say "we grinded it so can they" thats not my point.  what i'm gonna say is someone that slaps on a full suit of seryll plate suddenly gained more dr than sotg can offer (which stacks on top of the vet/topend account which is major) but no one seems to be upset with gear being too strong and i dunno why that is.  people can spend half a year to get 100% sotg and decent stats/skills but then they still cant compete vs a group in full scale or seryll/glimmer

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

people can spend half a year to get 100% sotg and decent stats/skills but then they still cant compete vs a group in full scale or seryll/glimmer

I have to agree with this 100%.

It is entirely the reason I don't PvP right now. Because I know I literally can't compete with all the moon metal sets out there. I would just be handing them a kill and my gear.

Thought:

What if DR from SOTG didn't stack with DR from armor? Whichever provides the best bonus would the one in effect.

AKA

Get sotg and make up for having bad armor. this will give poorer players an avenue to success.

or

Get good armor, now every other meditation path becomes potentially viable.

I'm sure some math wiz could come up with a formula that would make it so someone couldn't abuse this idea by RPing as a 'lol naked barbarian'

I think if something like this was implemented, top tier armors would still win over sotg

• Like 1

Is this what healthy discussion feels like? I think I'm getting an ulcer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Olloch said:

I typed up a response to this and deleted it. My opinion means nil when it comes to this subject. I just hope the devs make the right choices that could effect a cornerstone community. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrGARY said:

yes, accounts make a massive difference, there is no doubt to that.  but people can grind as this is a grindy game afterall and nothing blocks that, not going to say "we grinded it so can they" thats not my point.  what i'm gonna say is someone that slaps on a full suit of seryll plate suddenly gained more dr than sotg can offer (which stacks on top of the vet/topend account which is major) but no one seems to be upset with gear being too strong and i dunno why that is.  people can spend half a year to get 100% sotg and decent stats/skills but then they still cant compete vs a group in full scale or seryll/glimmer

ye gear is a huge issue also

the extra dr from a rare set of seryll compared to a regular set of plate is like getting another sotg

I remember when I tested it hastily on worksock and it dropped hits from about ~10 to ~6

5 hours ago, Tryfaen said:

Thought:

What if DR from SOTG didn't stack with DR from armor? Whichever provides the best bonus would the one in effect.

AKA

Get sotg and make up for having bad armor. this will give poorer players an avenue to success.

or

Get good armor, now every other meditation path becomes potentially viable.

I'm sure some math wiz could come up with a formula that would make it so someone couldn't abuse this idea by RPing as a 'lol naked barbarian'

I think if something like this was implemented, top tier armors would still win over sotg

I personally like this. It would give an edge for people who cant afford the moon metals/Drake/scale to stand against wallet warriors. I think proper gear should always Trump SOTG, or they would become irrelevant. It's also an incentive for people to get out of plate, so they can favor other paths. Someone with SOTG can go with it until they can afford / obtain their armor sets, and then make the choice to swap to other paths. 

The original questions listed in the initial post of this thread have been answered and some visible steps forward have been presented.

Please close.