Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

Sounds cut out

I recently upgraded my PC and the sound in game shuts off if I queue actions too quickly after the former queue finishes. I looked in settings but there doesn't seem to be any options that'd fix this(# of concurrent sounds, etc). I am using hardware openAL. I will try software but I'd rather find a hardware solution. Running windows 10.

see if you can post a copy of DXDIAG (save all information, include all of it)

is this a national brand computer (not custombuilt) and if so, what is the make and model?

Do you use USB headset?

It's possible it is using a generic microsoft driver and I can help track down a better one for your specific hardware. realtek integrated especially seems to put out updated drivers almost monthly.

Good chance that software mode would fix it as I think the hardware mode is a bot wonky. If I recall, microsoft started doing something weird with sound hardware acceleration a few years ago but I will have to look up what that was. 

If we cannot pinpoint the specific hardware, and its not a USB headset (those have integrated soundchips) i might have you download CPU-Z and have you give me the mainboard (motherboard)  model

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

It is my own custom build. ASRock motherboard. I don't have USB Sound but use onboard. I will look for a new driver and post what version of sound hardware it is using.

I think ASRock is usually realtek,  they keep pretty updated drivers here:  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

I think this is the most common one High Definition Audio Codecs  released January 2017 but be prepared to uninstall if it doesn't work right. Rightclick INF file if there is not a setup exe

I installed drivers and the issue might be better. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. I've been out of support too long. :)

I think part of the issue has to do with the sawing sound itself. My character makes planks faster than the intro to the saw sound. Using a character with less skill has less issues though still not getting sound every time.

I don;t think you ever get sounds when the timer is below a certain threshold, maybe 3-4-5 seconds. Sorry I did not bring that up it sounded like a different issue, but when your char is full stamina and going like a demon theymight not make any sound.

but that may not be the issue since it was never an issue till the computer upgrade. On the other hand you might have gotten better skills AND better tools around the same time..

Drivers didn't help. Sounds come and go. I turned on software rendering and they work, so I'll just leave them like that.

The hardware is Realtek ALC 1220 on an ASRock Extreme4 motherboard.

As far as i recall (very foggy) only Creative supported true hardware acceration in openAL, microsoft moved everyone else to some sort of DiredctSound doohickey a number of years ago  but i may be confusing the issue with something else. 

however you say everything worked fine before you upgraded, and I assume you did not use Creative sound cards back then ...?

Sounds weren't perfect before the upgrade (clean install) either. They work far better on my laptop. The old motherboard used a much more widely use Realtek version, though I'm not sure the model.

The issue isn't so much fast actions not triggering sound, but losing all sound if I added more to the queue after I had created a couple planks. The sound would cut out for 2-3 planks before returning. Even a sound currently playing would stop in the middle (which might be the issue) and go silent.

I downloaded OpenAL direct from Creative (openal.org) and the sounds have been better so far.