Sign in to follow this  
Anarres

WU without steam, any intention or ETA?

I was hoping that in time, CodeClub may look at distributing WU themselves or using other platforms like GoG. We're in 2017 I hear however, and searching the forum doesn't seem to yield any news other than the initial idea of "maybe later".

I would welcome an opportunity to buy WU from the developers, and not have to pay steam to cripple my game.

Is there any intention to make WU available without steam DRM? Has it been decided to not do so? If only steam will continue to be available for the foreseeable future, can anyone please tell if you can run WU executables without steam, maybe standalone, or maybe only server? Thanks for any answers!

• Like 2

Please this. I will never agree to Valve/STEAM's terms of service again, how I would jump at the chance to play WU on GOG or independently. Are there any plans for this to happen besides "maybe"?

(How determined am I to never use STEAM? I myself gave up playing Skyrim... which I absolutely LOVED... when I made my decision to uninstall STEAM and never again use their portal. I have waited for and then gave up on playing dozens and dozens of games I was interested in simply because they required STEAM. I was willing to give up on the enjoyment of my gaming and I haven't backed down from that not even once. If I am willing to do that I can assure others here that I will never agree to the use of STEAM ever again, not even for Wurm.)

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

I was one of the ones hoping for a GOG option, but I doubt we will get a non DRM because the entire way they designed the server system, is built around using Steam server browser.  Running the 'singleplayer/standalone" version does a check to see whether Steam is running, so you do need to be connected to Steam even though this should not be necessary for a singleplayer 'offloine' .   Apparently you cannot 'connect" to your server without Steam even with a standalone server. 

edit: i have not tested or even watched it very closely, but this youtube video claims to show how to run a legit steam version with no internet connection:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBSBaN-RMbs

it still requires you to run Steam but in offline mode with no internet.  

+1 to some future official version making a non Steam option. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Right now, Wurm Unlimited heavily depends on Valve/Steam services for things like authentication or server browser - platforms like GoG don't offer most of these features.

With all the marvelous Coder/Programmer talent we have in our community I am confident that if the commitment were made to write a new server/client software package in could be done without STEAM. I look forward to that day when the commitment is made.

Edited by geode

Just now, geode said:

With all the marvelous Coder/Programmer talent we have in our community I am confident that if the commitment were made to write a new server/client software package in could be done without STEAM. I look forward to that day when the commitment is made.

This already has been done. It is just not legal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

This already has been done. It is just not legal. 

I am bound by the constraints of "legal" in real life and in anything to do with the internet and I answer to an authority the world does not even recognize as existing. "Non-Legal" versions of WU are out of the question for me and I don't even want to know they exist, but thank you for attempting to help us, much appreciated.

Edited by geode

3 minutes ago, geode said:

I am bound by the constraints of "legal" in real life and in anything to do with the internet and I answer to an authority the world does not even recognize as existing. "Non-Legal" versions of WU are out of the question for me.

What I want to say such a version would open all servers for non-legal copies and lead to a bigger bunch of other problems. For example the server browser relies on steam too, so you would always have to enter an IP. etc etc. I don't see a non steam version coming in the next time, it wouldn't make any sense to go away from steam.

Edited by Sklo:D

16 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Right now, Wurm Unlimited heavily depends on Valve/Steam services for things like authentication or server browser - platforms like GoG don't offer most of these features.

Thank you Warlander for replying to this thread. Much appreciated.

codeclub wont change it just because you're too paranoid about steam

its too much effort for them to restructure the whole system just to appeal to a tiny demographic. it's fine on steam, it works on steam, there is nothing wrong with it.

It would be nice like a lot of other games that even use steam to have a direct connect button on the launcher so you could enter an IP or hostname and port. It can still use steam authentication so no problems there. Beyond that I think it would be too complicated to do anything else, mostly because then servers would have to deal with accounts in a very different manner such as account creation and password maintenance.

On 3/23/2017 at 5:42 AM, LifesaverM said:

It would be nice like a lot of other games that even use steam to have a direct connect button on the launcher so you could enter an IP or hostname and port. It can still use steam authentication so no problems there. Beyond that I think it would be too complicated to do anything else, mostly because then servers would have to deal with accounts in a very different manner such as account creation and password maintenance.

Use a URL to do that.

steam://connect/ipaddress:port/password

Steam will notice what game is running and send you in.

• Like 1

I have never really read of any good reason to allow access to WU other than through Steam. All I read is of some individuals stubbornness to use it for various reasons. Steam is a good portal for access giving good publicity to WU in conjunction with the many other games access it offers. This brings more players to the game when they purchase it to add to their Steam Library of games. No justifiable or worthwhile reason to change this beneficial association, so I doubt it will happen.

=Ayes=

I concur, as someone that has published a game on Steam it certainly takes a huge sting out of the distribution process, no worrying about your players having to manually install updates. Not only that but application authors are given good insights into their player base. (Hardware, region, sales analytics, ...) This would be a massive effort to replicate, which is why there aren't as many publishers vs developers.

I've not read anything from OP or otherwise as to what they don't like about Steam, or which part of their terms of service they object to.