Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Archery, wtf

Shoot from my ramparts at a troll 8 tiles away... [13:38:16] You fail to get a clear shot of a venerable troll.

Shoot from behind a Narrow stone window at a troll 8 tiles away... [13:40:07] The plain narrow stone window is in the way.

Shoot from behind a window at a troll 8 tiles away   [13:41:24] The plain stone window is in the way.

Shoot at ANYTHING from ANYWHERE that is NOT standing immediately in front of them.... [some timestamp] Excuses excuses excuses blah blah more excuses

What is wrong with archery?  I'm fairly sure archers were able to to shoot people from windows or on house/castle walls.  Maybe it's just me, but this seems pretty broken....

Has anyone been able to shoot any mobs from anywhere other then on the ground?

• Like 1

Was having a bit of trouble on top of my longhouse the other day shooting at players, kept giving me an error
would only let me shoot at them when they were like, 20 tiles away despite an elevation difference and no walls blocking.

Think something has been changed recently involving it.

• Like 1

archery is utterly weird, at rift you have champ ogres / warmasters / whatever that are easilly visible but still 'you fail to get a clear shot'... would be good if creatures height, slopes and fences height was taken into account.

Basicly, if you can see it, no reason not to put an arrow in it!

• Like 3

In the past years ago, I had MR shoot arrows at me.. them outside, me inside at a window.   At a few raids, an MR player was killed with a headshot through a window.  I find it odd that I can shoot into a window but not out of one.  And if that's not even possible now, then archery is completely and utterly broken like this forum software.

This needs some attention..

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

my 2c

On 26.12.2016 at 0:34 PM, zigozag said:

UUTcbqZ.png?2

Trying to shoot the red guy I was getting the mesage about inability to get a clear shot. Imo, there's no possible position to get a clearer shot. Between me and the red guy is a chain fence on the floor's edge, 1 tile sloped upwards from me, about 30 slope and another chain fence. I am 2 floors above the target.

On 09.01.2017 at 3:20 PM, Matholameu said:

From what I understand you can't shoot someone if the fence is on the same level as them.

A= Shooter

B= Target

------> = Trajectory

A ---------------------------------------------> B
                  FENCE                                                     Good

----------------->B                           

A-------------------FENCE                                                     Good

A -----------------
                    FENCE-----------------> B                              No Good

A -------------------------FENCE-------------------------> B                No Good

But I could be wrong. 

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

pve somthings cant be shot out of or over fences windows ect to prevent griefing......pve to pvp code differs there as far. as large enemys have to have clear line of sight to there feet as wurm is coded mostly as 2 d

''My name is Jonydowy,after 7 months in a underground bunker i return to the outside world with only one goal,to save my sanity! But to do that i have to become someone else..something else...and for that i need a bow and arrow that works!!''

Seriously now hunting with a bow and arrow sounds so fun and nice..but when you start to actually doing it in wurm..its a hell of a pain! It needs a total rework in pve atleast! make it fun..make it better!

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Jonydowy said:

My name is Jonydowy,after 7 months in a underground bunker i return [snip. awesome arrow reference!]

Skyrim archery for the win! Arm bow, point at target, shoot, arrow to the knee! then run from dragon. Not only you don't fail that much (heck, yesterday i managed to shoot behind me, as a real archer, i can tell you it's impossibruh!) but arrows follow a few laws like gravity and are not heat seaking targets.

*shoot mobs, mobs walk, arrows curve trajectory and stab mobs... uh wat?! cool anyway* I guess if Jony is the green arrows, that make me magneto.

• Like 1

double posting for the sake of it.

another gripe  of mine is how arrows are balanced : hunting are more accurate - war arrows deal more damages. Welp, nope... wrong on a real world basis.

Hunting arrows are sharpened barbed ones with only one goal, making the creature you hit die from blood loss... so the idea would be too buff them against critters.

War arrows on the others hand are designed to punch through armors, be it chain (and god it works so well) or plates armors... have a look at those nasty bodkins points... so there main goal would be players and/or armored targets (trolls /crocs/scorps anyones?)

I won't go too much into the bows details yet, but the longbow is depending on its strength deadly from 5m up to 200m (hell yeah balistic and heavy arrow heads), medium and short bows should be treated like the longbows, think our classical recurves or better the mongols ones, decent fire rates, good accuracy and more important the first composites bow out there. horns-bones / glue / ligatures / good woods and giving some hellish abilities to those steppes raiders including shooting behind them while riding a horse at full speed.

just some historical pointers for the devs to tweak archery in a way to make it more interesting, be it on pvp warfare or pve hunting.

(and before i'm asked, i shoot an american semi longbow - and a classical recurve the way our ancestors did, so fancy aim assist or whatever, not partaking in hunting but still going out from time to time with friends on 3d targets shooting competions (or just for fun) - ie. i know my ###### :D )

• Like 1

I'm semi-glad I'm not the only player finding archery hugely broken, lol.   I feel at this point, as others stated, it needs looked into.  I'm not so sure I know enough about wurm archery to make a proper suggestion thread or contact the usual staff directly.

well, there is both broken and illogical, i can deal with a bit of both, but when you have something thats 10 times higher than the fence it's hiding behind and we can't get a clear shot... it's stupid and need to be looked at.

• Like 3