Sign in to follow this  
Skinded

Can we get word from devs/staff on plans for dual wielding?

I've never seen anyone working on the game address anything related to the current issues with dual wielding. I saw the market plan post so I wanted to use the opportunity to reach out and ask about dual wielding. It's something I really want to do for style points but as we all know, it's not effective at all. That being said, can we get a comment about the future plans for dual wielding? 

Future plans for dual wielding? There aren't any.

Not everything has a future plan, and while they may be looked at down the line, it doesnt mean we know what will be changing with it, but there are far more important things to address than two longswords

And also in real life dual wielding 2 longswords(wurm longsword is actually one handed arming sword in history, longsword is two handed sword but they messed up terminology a bit as other video games) is actually not effective, for sure less effective than wielding  twohanded sword(in history this is actualy called longsword or great sword depending on size), and probably less effective than wielding just single one handed sword so i'm quite pleased that it is (i don't belive intentional) more realistic... Regardles that you think that holding 2 swords is more effective in real life or it looks cool in fact it isn't. Just my thought on the subject :)

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if they did work on dual wielding at some point.  hehe.  I've been working on it some, with longswords, just for giggles and because I think it looks kinda cool but I'm ready to switch back to something else now since it's so.......ineffective.  :)

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Future plans for dual wielding? There aren't any.

Not everything has a future plan, and while they may be looked at down the line, it doesnt mean we know what will be changing with it, but there are far more important things to address than two longswords

Thank you so much for this. Judging from your response, I apologize If I came off as rude in my post.

Edited by Skinded

I think that is just how they come off going from the post I've seen. Doubt they meant anything by it, I think.

2 shortswords is definitely a rl gight style, also lomgswords and greatswords are not the same thing. Longswords are about a foot shorter

• Like 1

I'd love for them to give us a insight on the next big changes, some hints have been dropped with a better interface and tutorial which is surely needed. Maybe in future they could implement a combat overhaul, because let's face it the turn based combat is pretty bad.

We just have to have patience I guess.

Rather they fix the GUI before doing a new combat overhaul

See that's the problem with duel wielding in a leveling/skilling game. People just use it to get double the skill-gain and finish those off faster, then take one off and have great weapon-skill in that one weapon.

I'd be fine if they gimped the skill-gain portion of it and actually made it useful for combat though.

Problem with that, is then you're finishing things (See: hostile enemies) off easier/faster, and it's less of a challenge once again.

Can't have that either.

So, many games just end up gimping it altogether and making people not do it.

Some of us just like to roll that way on games though.

Personally, I do it a lot. I've done Dual dagger build on numerous rogues on many games. I've done double half moon hatchets/small axes on a few also. Even did double 2Her weapons on WoW when they gave us Titangrip for awhile. (Yes, that was really ridiculous and should never have happened.). I actually really really prefer to play with a 'frenzy'/increased attack speed/berzerker build...with serrations on blades if at all possible. Make em bleed out!

There's limitations all over the place...but it's also just more fun to play certain ways for some people...

This game's combat feels very simplistic, not much to it. It's more about managing a few tiny things(Combat log, your body on character doll) and watching your health and backing out if things are going badly. That's not really very fun. Dual wielding in this game seems like it would just be there to get rid of hostile mobs faster..but at higher levels/decent QL weapons, it's only a couple 2Her swipes at something anyway.

cough cough revert to pre-ff and its viable again cough cough cough cough

oh dear lord, i've seem to come down with the cold.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

While we're at it let's get Daggers of some sort added so you can feasibly main hand a short sword and parry with an offhand dagger...

53 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

cough cough revert to pre-ff and its viable again cough cough cough cough

oh dear lord, i've seem to come down with the cold.

thats just cancer buddy we cant help you there

• Like 1

Would be neat if your offhand didn't suffer reduced damage and increased swingtimer if it was a small weapon.  That way you could have high damage output but also be a glass cannon as long as the mechanic for preventing gear switching in combat works.  

1 hour ago, Egard said:

thats just cancer buddy we cant help you there

Or maybe just plain old age. Old people tend to cough a lot.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:19 AM, Skinded said:

I've never seen anyone working on the game address anything related to the current issues with dual wielding. I saw the market plan post so I wanted to use the opportunity to reach out and ask about dual wielding. It's something I really want to do for style points but as we all know, it's not effective at all. That being said, can we get a comment about the future plans for dual wielding? 

There's a market plan post?  Where did you see that?

Anyway, yeah, I like dual-wield in any game where it's available.  Not sure why the community person sounded so dismissive, but quite sure it has nothing to do with how you worded your question.  Wouldn't worry about it.

Why does dual-wield automatically mean longswords in Wurm?  Fascination with Edward Scissorhands?  I'm guessing just properties specific to the longsword in Wurm specifically. 

Dual short sword, dual small axe, dual bows, would seem to have RL applicability that would be fun to see in Wurm.

Oh, and Captain Obvious called, there does appear to be more pressing matters on the docket, but apparently there's no harm in you simply asking the question just as you did.  Who knew!;)

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 2:28 AM, Corsan said:

See that's the problem with duel wielding in a leveling/skilling game. People just use it to get double the skill-gain and finish those off faster, then take one off and have great weapon-skill in that one weapon.

I'd be fine if they gimped the skill-gain portion of it and actually made it useful for combat though.

Problem with that, is then you're finishing things (See: hostile enemies) off easier/faster, and it's less of a challenge once again.

Can't have that either.

So, many games just end up gimping it altogether and making people not do it.

Some of us just like to roll that way on games though.

Personally, I do it a lot. I've done Dual dagger build on numerous rogues on many games. I've done double half moon hatchets/small axes on a few also. Even did double 2Her weapons on WoW when they gave us Titangrip for awhile. (Yes, that was really ridiculous and should never have happened.). I actually really really prefer to play with a 'frenzy'/increased attack speed/berzerker build...with serrations on blades if at all possible. Make em bleed out!

There's limitations all over the place...but it's also just more fun to play certain ways for some people...

This game's combat feels very simplistic, not much to it. It's more about managing a few tiny things(Combat log, your body on character doll) and watching your health and backing out if things are going badly. That's not really very fun. Dual wielding in this game seems like it would just be there to get rid of hostile mobs faster..but at higher levels/decent QL weapons, it's only a couple 2Her swipes at something anyway.

Wait, what's wrong with titan grip? This passive made me love fury warrs

Edited by Skinded

Imagine the kind of strength you'd need to possess to double wield 2 weapons that are normally used in two hands, effectively. Then imagine how unwieldy they would be for actually swinging said objects with a single hand, much less at the same time.

(I know, I know, 'GET YOUR REALISM OUT OF HERE, this is a fantasy world!')

I loved my fury also...it was technically my 'main'. (I don't even 'main' normally, but that was the one I spent the most on...I had that expensive mammoth vendor mount on it.)

42 minutes ago, Corsan said:

Imagine the kind of strength you'd need to possess to double wield 2 weapons that are normally used in two hands, effectively. Then imagine how unwieldy they would be for actually swinging said objects with a single hand, much less at the same time.

(I know, I know, 'GET YOUR REALISM OUT OF HERE, this is a fantasy world!')

I loved my fury also...it was technically my 'main'. (I don't even 'main' normally, but that was the one I spent the most on...I had that expensive mammoth vendor mount on it.)

You made the point against that yourself, we dont need to let realism get in the way of every little thing. Who cares if the longsword is more alike to a two handed sword in RL. In wurm its one handed meaning you could hold 1 of them in each hand. Plus we all have the strength of Chuck Norris.

I'd love dual wielding to be viable again, it was a great source of variety pre fight fix. Dual shortswords, longswords, mauls, large axes, hatchets (they used to be weapons). Longsword and axe for parry from the sword and damage from the axe, or maul instead of axe for a bit of extra parrying defense. You could switch it up all sorts of ways.

It was great.

On 11/03/2017 at 7:28 AM, Corsan said:

Can't have that either.

I dont really see a problem with the additional skillgain you'd get from dual wielding. You're sacrificing shield skill gains for additional weapon skill gain. Also most 1 handed weapons gain weapon skill slower than 2 handed weapons as they do less damage. Bigger hits give more skill. So this would actually help balance that out a bit by making 1 handed weapons a faster skill to raise to compete with 2 handed users who are skilling up faster than you already.

Also dual wielding means you're not wearing a shield which means any enemy that's got their wits about them is gonna yell at their friends to archer that guy cause he aint got a shield, forcing them to switch to shield. So that's a counter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madt said:

we dont need to let realism get in the way of every little thing.

I was referencing WoW since he asked. I like balancing realism with the fantasy.

2 hours ago, Madt said:

Who cares if the longsword is more alike to a two handed sword in RL. In wurm its one handed meaning you could hold 1 of them in each hand. Plus we all have the strength of Chuck Norris.

I'm not sure what sword they actually based the longsword on for this game, so I can't really say whether it was intended to be more like a 2Her sword or not. I want to say it's almost reminiscent of a broadsword in RL/most other games, therefore 'heftier'/swings a little slower. But yes, we're supposed to be like little ants on this Wurm planet with the ability to strengthen ourselves to carry around whole trees and other objects. (I'm 48+ bstr myself, so I should be able to heft a much heavier weapon with ease...and almost 40 bcon...so could swing it well also...)

2 hours ago, Madt said:

I'd love dual wielding to be viable again

So would I.

2 hours ago, Madt said:

Also most 1 handed weapons gain weapon skill slower than 2 handed weapons as they do less damage.

I haven't been around forever on this game, but in all likely-hood, they probably actually purposely nerfed skill-gain already, and that's why you're assuming it's skilling slower. Most games notice early on that people are skilling their weapons up really fast using dual wield and then they go in and butcher the skill-gain behind the scenes so you don't just end up 'godly' at a specific skill. Or they do things like WoW did back then where the off hand has a 5-15% less chance of hitting. (You actually had to hover over the skill in character panel to check these types of stats back when...not sure how WoW does it now as I quit after WotLK)

2 hours ago, Madt said:

Bigger hits give more skill. So this would actually help balance that out a bit by making 1 handed weapons a faster skill to raise to compete with 2 handed users who are skilling up faster than you already.

Think of it another way, the game devs want you to take 'longer' (They have to make their money from you playing, and what better way to do that then getting you to pay for a long period, after all.)...so the more tiny hits you do, it gives you more skill-gain over the long term.

You think you're 'skilling faster' with a 2Her because you're seeing big gains from the 1 hit they do that eats most of the animal's life, but if you're poking it numerous times with a weapon that doesn't do as much, you're still getting about the same skill, but it's just taking you that much longer to get there. (More money in their pockets.) Also, you have the chance to block their hits a bunch and become an effective tank.

2 hours ago, Madt said:

Also dual wielding means you're not wearing a shield which means any enemy that's got their wits about them is gonna yell at their friends to archer that guy cause he aint got a shield, forcing them to switch to shield. So that's a counter.

I don't PvP on here, but yes, there is that downside (Upside for defenders) when dual wielding usually. You're hoping to be able to take them out before they can wipe the floor with you. When hiding behind a bunch of walls/shields...you have more defensive options in play.

I haven't stopped duel wielding LSes since the fight fix (other than to skill other weapons).

That second blade has been far more effective for me than shields ever were. 

So I guess if you have LT on both weapons your healing effect will be noticeably improved?

=Ayes=

23 hours ago, Ayes said:

So I guess if you have LT on both weapons your healing effect will be noticeably improved?

=Ayes=

If that second weapon makes enough contact, yes.

But that's the topic of this conversation... contact/efficiency. Most are unhappy about the performance of the second (left handed) weapon. Personally, i'm not too bothered by the efficiency, as I know that at higher fighting related skill levels, that second weapon is much more efficient. What did bother me, though, when I started playing wurm was that "left handed" was not a viable play style. You're forced to be right handed in this game, as putting a sword in your left hand and a shield (or nothing) in the right hand will make you utterly useless.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 1:46 PM, Angelklaine said:

Or maybe just plain old age. Old people tend to cough a lot.

That's from the Lisinopril