Sign in to follow this  
Theodein

Third Person View

I'm sure this idea has been posted before and according to rumors it's even been tested?

Anyways, personally I'm always more immersed with a third person view and think it looks fantastic. 

What does the rest of you think?

+1, mostly because of combat.

1 hour ago, Rathgar said:

+1 to third person view

+1 to VR support

And a set of controllers

fiusUUU.jpg

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 6

+1

This is a real problem and has been... Some of us who play don't really care but only first person view is a reason a lot of people won't touch the game. 

Please add this in.

• Like 1

This game wasnt built for third person view, meaning there's a LOT that doesnt mesh well with it (camera clipping through terrain, buildings, everything). It's a nice goal to aim for, but there's more to work on.

• Like 2

On 2017-03-10 at 5:48 PM, Retrograde said:

This game wasnt built for third person view, meaning there's a LOT that doesnt mesh well with it (camera clipping through terrain, buildings, everything). It's a nice goal to aim for, but there's more to work on.

I am well aware of this problem. This becomes a real problem on PvP realms as well. Maybe with some sort of dynamic camera angle when hitting walls might work?

• Like 1

+1

You can already camera clip through terrain, buildings, everything. So this change wouldn't effect anything already.

It would be easy to implement just by adding additional line of code with an option in the option window to use alternate view. ( I can probably find the code in WU and copy and paste it here if it would help with the axis change )

and I am sure the next response will be about chaos, and to that, you cannot build building in mines on chaos, which you can do on freedom, so I am sure you can use the same bit of code if you really think it would cause some advantage to pvp when you can do it with yellow potions, or on wagon or boats, or mine doors to achieve the same results. 

Thanks

B

Edited by Bramson
  • Like 1

Not only was the game NOT built for 3rd person view, the founding devs actively disliked having third person view ingame to both encourage immersion and avoid certain advantages.

3 hours ago, Klaa said:

Not only was the game NOT built for 3rd person view, the founding devs actively disliked having third person view ingame to both encourage immersion and avoid certain advantages.

That might be true. It's still a subjective point of view and one I personally don't agree with. To me a third person angle would increase immersion but that one is subjective as well.

As some of you said , I don't think it's hard to implement on a programming level, just change the value of the axel. It would provide a somewhat stale third person angle, but personally I would not mind. 

Regarding that the funding devs disliked the idea is still not a valid reason ( according to me) to not provide suggestions in ways that would according to me greatly increase the "fun factor" of the game.

If you ask the many people who won't play the game for a list of reasons 3rd party view is on the top of all of those lists.  

Figure it out devs it's as simple as that. Stop making excuses and figure it out.

• Like 2

agreed I have a few friends and the only reason they wont play because of lack of 3rd person view. Game play wise they liked but 1st person they cannot stand

On 3/13/2017 at 1:16 PM, Theodein said:

I am well aware of this problem. This becomes a real problem on PvP realms as well. Maybe with some sort of dynamic camera angle when hitting walls might work?

I think the real problem is that this requires people to be aware.... there's no third person swivel cam.   someone can in fact sneak up on you.  Many of the people I've heard whine about this in other games and here want the quick cheat.

"I'm watching you because I'm actually looking behind me."  

Wurm had many unpopular elements because it attempts to maintain a certain level of realism.  Every year people want to chisel away at those elements.  If we change this, what will be gained?  and more importantly, What is being lost?  It's a hard balance.

the whole sneaking up on someone is junk. If you actually played on the pvp server, it is all about local. you just watch local and it gives you 80 tiles of notice - and there is no sneaking up on anyone. It is either they are paying attention or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bramson said:

the whole sneaking up on someone is junk. If you actually played on the pvp server, it is all about local. you just watch local and it gives you 80 tiles of notice - and there is no sneaking up on anyone. It is either they are paying attention or not.

doesn't the sneak function remove you from the local pop-up?  That's what I was told it did.

Well, 3rd person view was on the test server for a moment, but the idea was apparently swept deeply under the rug. Will I use 3rd person view, most likely not, but i do like having the option to switch from 1 person view to 3rd person view in most games... (fun fact, i grabbed dead space for cheap on steam the other day and i'd kill for a first person view!).

Adding more options and controlling where they can be used if necessary (ie. not on pvp servers) would be a good thing imho, the 3rd person view is something a lot of players enjoy on others MMos and they won't come or keep playing wurm due to the lack of it. The frequent CA Help question : "how do i switch to 3rd person view?!" is a good indicator of the demand.

And on a slightly ironical note, why work on more nifty animations and shiny armor textures if you can't enjoy them? :D (Love you Saroman, keep up the good work. PS: I still want scale pauldrons!)

1 hour ago, Odynn said:

Well, 3rd person view was on the test server for a moment, but the idea was apparently swept deeply under the rug. Will I use 3rd person view, most likely not, but i do like having the option to switch from 1 person view to 3rd person view in most games... (fun fact, i grabbed dead space for cheap on steam the other day and i'd kill for a first person view!).

Adding more options and controlling where they can be used if necessary (ie. not on pvp servers) would be a good thing imho, the 3rd person view is something a lot of players enjoy on others MMos and they won't come or keep playing wurm due to the lack of it. The frequent CA Help question : "how do i switch to 3rd person view?!" is a good indicator of the demand.

And on a slightly ironical note, why work on more nifty animations and shiny armor textures if you can't enjoy them? :D (Love you Saroman, keep up the good work. PS: I still want scale pauldrons!)

You raise a lot of valid points. Maybe having third person turned off for PvP servers becuase of balancing issues? I can imagine that it will force PvPers into third person because of the situational awareness it provides compared to first person view in certain situations.

Out of curiosity, to me the idea of immersion is feeling like you are actually in the game living the experience which probably comes from the literary meanings of first and third person from high school English class. I don't really understand how third person helps you to become more immersed when you are looking down on another entity doing things from a celestial perspective? Its all probably completely irrelevant but it would certainly help me understand what you are saying.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Out of curiosity, to me the idea of immersion is feeling like you are actually in the game living the experience which probably comes from the literary meanings of first and third person from high school English class. I don't really understand how third person helps you to become more immersed when you are looking down on another entity doing things from a celestial perspective? Its all probably completely irrelevant but it would certainly help me understand what you are saying.

imo seeing your character more often makes you feel more connected to it.  in first person you can never see your character.  i don't really care either way if we get third person or not though, its just not that important to me

speaking of seeing things you shouldnt be seeing, when will the ability to look through cavewalls thats been ingame for as long as I can remember get fixed?  because thats not just a preference thing like first/third person, thats actually an unfair advantage letting you see other caves and stuff through walls

11 hours ago, Tallios said:

doesn't the sneak function remove you from the local pop-up?  That's what I was told it did.

it's too bugged to warrant using.  most the time you unstealth after crossing a few tiles but the game still tells you you're stealthed and you still move super slow.  speaking of which, all open field pvp is done on horseback.  you cant afford to try to walk all the way up to someone super slow in stealth mode when your opponent has two horses and they dont even have to fight you if they dont want to because they will just ride away, meanwhile if they choose to fight you, you are now stuck there with no escape.  mobility is everything in pvp, and with stealth mode you sacrifice all of it

stealth is never really used in pvp for ambushing anyone.  it's just for standing in place and going invisible when you have nolocate cast on yourself, so that you can maybe not be detected for long enough that you manage to log out and leave the world

Edited by gurn

31 minutes ago, gurn said:

speaking of seeing things you shouldnt be seeing, when will the ability to look through cavewalls thats been ingame for as long as I can remember get fixed?  because thats not just a preference thing like first/third person, thats actually an unfair advantage letting you see other caves and stuff through walls

Never, i hope. Good luck fixing/exploring a semi-collapsed cave without this. By the way... advantage? Over lava spiders?  Everyone can do this.

Back to the topic though, i think i can attest to this:

35 minutes ago, gurn said:

imo seeing your character more often makes you feel more connected to it.  in first person you can never see your character

And if view mode is switched easily in game, we could use 3rd person outside on the road or in combat, and 1st person inside buildings and tight caves, etc.

5 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Never, i hope. Good luck fixing/exploring a semi-collapsed cave without this. By the way... advantage? Over lava spiders?  Everyone can do this.

Advantage as in you can go up to an enemy deed, poke a hole in the ground, look through the wall, and now you know:

The layout of their deed and the best spots to catapult to gain access to internal areas 

Where their safemine is

Do they have any players in nearby mines 

Where their loot is located 

Are their any non reinforced cave walls you could use to breach their mine system

Are there any veins you could mine out to get in

IOW being able to look through a wall to learn about the place you're attacking is a pretty significant advantage 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Advantage as in you can go up to an enemy deed, poke a hole in the ground, look through the wall, and now you know:

The layout of their deed and the best spots to catapult to gain access to internal areas 

Where their safemine is

Do they have any players in nearby mines 

Where their loot is located 

Are their any non reinforced cave walls you could use to breach their mine system

Are there any veins you could mine out to get in

IOW being able to look through a wall to learn about the place you're attacking is a pretty significant advantage 

You can already do everything you stated.

1. Get into a wagon with 2 people, push the back of the wagon into the wall, you see everything and even can select all items on ground.

2. Mine entrance, just climb into a mine entrance you can see everything inside.

3. Turn you graphics really crappy so terrain doesnt render, all the dirt walls dispears and you can see the complete building tower layout.

There are countless other methods at doing these things as well

So would 3rd person give someone an advantage over all the other methods of doing the same thing? Not really.

• Like 2

Alot of you seem to grasp the idea of Third person. And seem to agree with me. As previously stated. This is a personal opinion of course but some of you seem to agree with me. When you are looking at your character you seem to connect more to it and get more immersed, as it goes for me it really shines when you are using long idle animations such as Meditating / sitting etc. 

• Like 2