Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

WU on windows 10

how is It, any problems. as much as I dislike WIn10, i'm sick of how crappy wind8.1 has become. when I click one of my icons on my desktop ie wurm it takes as long as a minute to load, which doesn't do it, for 10 or 8. so time to move up to win10 besides I can get forza H3 on win 10, so it's a win win lol.

Been running Win10 since it came out, no problems here.

No issues running WU on Windows 10. Can't image why there would be.

15 minutes ago, Chakron said:

No issues running WU on Windows 10. Can't image why there would be.

micro$haft? lol

While I don't have Win 10 personally (from Microsoft systems still using the Windows 7), Java should work exactly the same on all systems. If you can run Wurm on Windows 7 or 8, you will be easily able to do than on Windows 10 as well. :)

• Like 1

I'm running Wurm WO and WU extensively on the below systems:

Ubuntu 16.04 64bit, Intel Core2Quad, crappy Nvidia, 8gb ram

Win10Pro 64bit, Intel i5, even more crappy Intel integrated graphics, 8gb ram

Win7Pro 64bit, Core2Quad, crappy NVidia, 8gb ram

All can run 2-3 clients without any issues for many months now. 

Edited by Jaz

Thanks guys, im thinking whether to buy a win10 preinstalled pc, or use the one i have its a core i3 8gb ram. Hd 1tb 4gb amd. I would buy an all in one but the screen is tiny, im currently using a 32in tv screen as my monitor

Edited by ozmods

I have 2 problems with Windows10 on a new computer I bought not long ago.

1. The ground textures all alternate on top of each other cycling through them as I move along.

2. The Java crashes several times when I log onto the game. After 2-3 tries the game stays online.

Also another thing, the Edge browser that comes with it has no option to download Java at all so I had to download IE and disable Edge. Maybe somehow this is causing the conflict in Java which causes the game to crash initially. I have no idea with a limited knowledge of computers as most so I am just having to live with these problems with W10 and not my main computer which works fine on Win7HP.

Not at all happy with Win10 because of this.

=Ayes=

1. a. If it is a laptop, which has a dedicated graphics chip installed, make sure that the computer uses the graphics chip ONLY.

b. tweak settings in the Compatibility tab of Wurm settings if you have an integrated VGA only - usually the issue is with the Intel chipsets and present using Windows 7, 8 or 10.

2. Make sure that ONLY the 64bit Java is installed on the computer (check it in the Control Panel - Programs and Features and/or Control Panel - Java. Usually the crashes are caused by using the 32bit Java. Simply remove the 32bit one unless you specifically need it. If you need to keep it installed, you can always start Wurm with java 64 (inserting the full path of the 64bit java, in my case C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\javaws.exe) editing the command line executed by the startup icon. This option is mostly for WO, as WU should by default use the java packaged with it, it can worth a try if everything else fails

Edge: it is not a finished product, even a lot of MS sites don't work correctly with it, disabling it was a good resolution IMHO.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

1. The ground textures all alternate on top of each other cycling through them as I move along.

2. The Java crashes several times when I log onto the game. After 2-3 tries the game stays online.

Also another thing, the Edge browser that comes with it has no option to download Java at all so I had to download IE and disable Edge. Maybe somehow this is causing the conflict in Java which causes the game to crash initially. I have no idea with a limited knowledge of computers as most so I am just having to live with these problems with W10 and not my main computer which works fine on Win7HP.

=Ayes=

I agree with the optimus technology. Most laptops with a nvidia chip have both an intel and nvidia insalled, and chooses to use the intel for java as it sees it as a program rather than a game.You need to go into nvidia control panel and go to manage 3d settings, and in the dropdown choose "high performance graphics chip" for prefered processor, not "let my computer choose"

Edge sucks, nuff said.... now...

59 minutes ago, Jaz said:

1. a. If it is a laptop, which has a dedicated graphics chip installed, make sure that the computer uses the graphics chip ONLY.

b. tweak settings in the Compatibility tab of Wurm settings if you have an integrated VGA only - usually the issue is with the Intel chipsets and present using Windows 7, 8 or 10.

2. Make sure that ONLY the 64bit Java is installed on the computer (check it in the Control Panel - Programs and Features and/or Control Panel - Java. Usually the crashes are caused by using the 32bit Java. Simply remove the 32bit one unless you specifically need it. If you need to keep it installed, you can always start Wurm with java 64 (inserting the full path of the 64bit java, in my case C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\javaws.exe) editing the command line executed by the startup icon. This option is mostly for WO, as WU should by default use the java packaged with it, it can worth a try if everything else fails

Edge: it is not a finished product, even a lot of MS sites don't work correctly with it, disabling it was a good resolution IMHO.

WU comes bundled with Java, this is a non factor.

• Like 1

When I used to play WO with multiple clients running:

On Windows 8 and 8.1 could run about 7 - 8 clients (1 with good graphics settings, the other 7 with lower settings) on my main desktop, 1 to 2 (all lower settings) on my notebook. 

On Windows 10 could run 12 - 16 clients (1 with good graphics, remainder with lower) on my main desktop, 3 - 4 (all lower settings) on my notebook.

On WU with the removal of priest restrictions and many other "WO design decisions that force multiple premiums" I rarely, if ever, run more than one character. Funny thing is, the game has actually improved as a result. Having said all that I expect the results would be similar to those reported above. Windows 10 seems to perform much better then Windows 8.1 did.

~Nappy

I personally had every issue under the sun with windows 10. Of course mine was the crappy here switch to win 10 for free upgrade thing. 

If I would have had a straight OEM and not a upgrade things might have went smoother. I'm not saying win 10 is bad but the upgrade for free they gave me came with so many bugs most of the stuff didn't work or stopped working after a few patches.

All that being said if you are using a upgrade version you might have issues.

If you have a full OEM then you shouldn't have issues. Microsoft has never been good at there upgrade software. I've stayed clear of Microsoft upgrades and have always bought full copies of the OS.

My experiences have always been under the Windows 10 free update option so obviously some different experiences apply. I won't return to Windows 8.1 or any other Windows OS now that I've been on 10 since the option became available to me (likely a year or more now).

thanks for all the input everyone, I've decided to side step, the upgrade, and just go buy a new tower with win10 installed, having used win10 upgrade as opposed to OEM, and having bad experiences with it (more likely due to this crappy computer more than the upgrade)

so thankyou to those who have gave me input on this.

I have a M$ surface pro with win10 on it, but it hardly gets used.

On 3/9/2017 at 0:07 PM, Ayes said:

=Ayes=

I had number 1 as well. This is an issue with Intel integrated graphics. If you have a computer that also has an nVidia card or similar, check nVidia control panel and make sure only that graphics card is used for wurm.

2. May be due to running 32-bit java on a 64-bit machine. Pasting logs might help us point you in the right direction.

I had a third issue that users may come across as well, Wurm didn't play well with my touch screen AT ALL. I.e, I had instant crashes because of it. A fourth issue is the UI scaling at extreme resolutions, like 4k. You can make the text bigger, but graphical elements of the UI stay the same size.

None of these issues I believe are due to Windows 10 at all.

• Like 2

Ive ran win 10 since the free upgrade from win7  never had a prob.

its an old q6600 quad core with 8gb ddr2