Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

WSA: Mailing liquids

The change to lump weights will make new business once people realize you can send 1000 of the .1 weight lumps, Silver and brass come to mind for 20c per 1000 sent.  Hell a large crate worth of 100ql iron can now be shipped for 60c.  If they thought mailing liquids for 1c was making trade too easy, it will be interesting to see how lumps being shipped out via mail works.  There are other things like hemp fibers, string of cloth, etc that have very low weight and are combine able.  If this was done to limit all the trading via mail as that is some how too casual and killing wurm they are shooting themselves in the foot, again just another personal opinion.  That said if you COD someone a marble shard is it now going to cost 4c to send the 20kg shards?  I just don't understand this change at all bleh.   

• Like 1

Design by player committee is how we got rare ovens changing food affinities, which is just horrible and inconsistent.  The dev team need to make the decisions - it's nice when they listen to player points of view, but ultimately, they're responsible for the game, and they should be making the decisions.  Also, like pretty much all human beings, the dev team probably respond better to calm, reasoned argument than emotional screaming about how the devs clearly hate you personally.

• Like 4

Im no expert at math but i dont think it will work out that neatly? You can only combine 64 items and im gonna go out on a limb and assume mail cost wont be divided into irons?

Either way the changes dont bother me its all still dirt cheap compared to past prices and since the price drop ive become quite lazy mailing tons of things from one alt to another spending more in the past year or so than my entire wurm life.

• Like 2

5kg of the .10 lumps is just 50. Its well within the limits. even if you made the 6.4kg lump for all 64 it should just be 2c. Easy enough to just make 5kg lumps.

As for other items where the 64 max won't equal 5kg. 1000/64 is 15.625.  Thats 16c per 1000 units mailed of other things like cloth string etc.  Again, If this was because mailing things was too easy a method for trading its going about it backwards, unless I am missing something. 

Edited by Eleraan

It wasnt because one way was "too easy", it was because the mailing cost did not scale with the amount you were mailing.

Mailing 2 bricks costs 2c, why would mailing 45 lots of oil be 1c? 

This new introduction makes mailing combined things easier, and also scales it to a more sensible rate

This system now is intuitive scaling and should not majorly impact  the buyer or seller and open up the potential for selling other combined goods too.

I guess I misunderstood half this thread seemed to be complaining that mailing items was too easy now.  That said mailing bricks doesn't require a container every 5 bricks either. But the changes are in and we will just have to adapt. Guess I'ma see what the gold/silver lump market is like to supplement my brewing goals. 

41 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

It wasnt because one way was "too easy", it was because the mailing cost did not scale with the amount you were mailing.

This new introduction makes mailing combined things easier, and also scales it to a more sensible rate

This system now is intuitive scaling and should not majorly impact  the buyer or seller and open up the potential for selling other combined goods too.

While I love the ability to combine lumps, cordage and any number of other items for the new mailing fee.  I do not agree that everything has to scale.  Why does the cost to mail 2 bricks matter to what it costs to mail 45 lots of oil?  I do not think that kind of logic has any place in this.  When I hear stuff like this, I hear oh I couldn't come up with another excuse for why I took it out in the first place and now we had to change it because it upset people and needed a reason.   It sounds silly.  

Design by player committee is how we got rare ovens changing food affinities, which is just horrible and inconsistent.  The dev team need to make the decisions - it's nice when they listen to player points of view, but ultimately, they're responsible for the game, and they should be making the decisions.  Also, like pretty much all human beings, the dev team probably respond better to calm, reasoned argument than emotional screaming about how the devs clearly hate you personally.

I agree that no decisions should be made public for the 'customer' to dictate. The problem is that for you to make these proper decisions and implement them in a development environment (especially gaming), you need to have customer insights that translate into business direction and goals. User-driven development right? In this case, it is simply not true, and the original post (and others like it) shouldn't even exist. The fact it was a presented discussion, went through some sort of communication, ended up here, and then backtracked is endemic of serious knowledge gaps in the overall process.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, Retrograde said:

Update:

After ongoing discussion and community feedback, we'll be addressing a few things, firstly, liquids will now be charged 1c per 5 kgs, regardless of unit size, a small barrel of any liquid will now cost 10c (1c container 45 / 5 = 9c)

Secondly, this will now apply to all items that can be combined and mailed, hopefully improving trade of smaller combined items without damaging bulk trade.

We appreciate all feedback, but I do stress that these threads are the very point of warnings like this is to provide information and avoid the changes just being pushed on as was done in the past, so keep it constructive and avoid bashing the devs!

Thanks, I support this.  Seems pretty balanced to me. 

On 3/10/2017 at 4:35 PM, Retrograde said:

More like why does mailing 2 bricks cost so much?

On 08/03/2017 at 4:41 PM, DevBlog said:

Secondly, this will now apply to all items that can be combined and mailed, hopefully improving trade of smaller combined items without damaging bulk trade.

:o So... Everything that is bigger then 5kg like for example a rare rock shard or wow so much stuff will cost 4 or 5c??? Not like u can uncombine it to reduce the weight.

Stop being greedy peeps and turn down the cod costs again please.

Great change with the runed mailboxes to send bigger items, shame, big shame on this move from the team.

Edited by Tuga

On 10/03/2017 at 4:35 PM, Retrograde said:

1 Stone brick weights 15kg, so sending just one now actually costs 3copper per??

1 Log costs 4 or 5c per since it as 24kgs?

Any other ore with 20kg now costs 4copper?

Just wow.

Edited by Tuga
Edit: Ok the bricks mail cost is still at 1copper per. Shards should be fixed tough

As i understand it a log will cost 1c even though its more than 5kg. Any combinables (water, lump etc) will be 1c up to 5kg and more over 5kg.

I might be wrong tho'.

Sign in to follow this