Sign in to follow this  
Pashka

New way to gain channeling

Hey guys.  Just discovered that if you sac items that are worth a bit that you can gain channeling skill.  What I sac'd to get this gain was around 100 80ish cordage rope.  I am sure other things will trigger it as well since I have been told it is on the value of it.  Have fun!

One golds worth of value sacced will provide 1 channelling tick, or like, 1000 favour. Think I'd rather go the channelling favour than the saccing for skill

It's an old mechanic, and somewhat outdated, but intended as far as that goes.

• Like 1

As I reported, I have sac'd this way for my enchant bonus for a while now.  I wasn't receiving channeling skill until recently.  But I think that everyone should be able to do it if one person can.

I suppose it's a nice extra to saccing for the bonus, but it is by no means an efficient way to level channeling. Unless you got plenty of money to throw away...

In that case I got a rather accepting bank account you can throw your money at. I'll even take any currency!

While saying 1 Gold as a figure for the gain makes it sound like an awful lot.  100 cordage ropes isn't really that much.  When you can purchase them in bulk, it is even less.  Just didn't want this to be another of those things that noone knows about.

I expect this will get nerfed now like everything else that's semi good. I agree 100 isn't really much if your pushing really higher levels on channeling. 

was already nerfed niki

used to be able to get 90 channeling in 2-3 days time with it using doorlocks.

Edited by Propheteer

Think that was changed a while ago unless I'm mistaken.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niki said:

I expect this will get nerfed now like everything else that's semi good. I agree 100 isn't really much if your pushing really higher levels on channeling. 

It's not a new thing, and the gains are pretty low for the amount being sacced - not going to be changed anytime soon.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pashka said:

As I reported, I have sac'd this way for my enchant bonus for a while now.  I wasn't receiving channeling skill until recently.  But I think that everyone should be able to do it if one person can.

Everyone is able to do it; it's not new.

Thanks for the response Budda.  I have been sac'ing like this for a while for my enchant bonus on deed.  This had not been triggering a channeling gain.  But for some of us, this will indeed still be a faster way to gain skill than casting something over and over.  So this is something that I appreciate.

31 minutes ago, Pashka said:

But for some of us, this will indeed still be a faster way to gain skill than casting something over and over.  So this is something that I appreciate.

did you actually see how much you gain for the requirement or is green flashing just good enough

Actually I did see exactly what I gained as both a priest with almost 95 channeling and as a non priest.  What drew it to my attention in the first place was the skill update window flashing on the non priest.  No i do not have it set to show for each skill gain.  Then I tested on my priest to see what the gain was on her.  Better than vessel at my level.

Yeah but, how much you get for how much favor? Do you get a whole point at 100 sacs or something?

The amount gained is (100 - skill) / 3000.

So at 30 channeling you would gain 70/3000 = 0.02333,  and at 90 channeling you would gain 10/3000 = 0.003333.

if you have decent JS, high ql gold statuettes are good.

So basically you are paying 100 items sac for one tic? When you can get that much with 12-15 chopped corn. I don't see how you would level channeling with this method without breaking your bank, or your back.

From memory, I think around 20 70ql gold statuettes are enough for a channelling tick.  Higher ql needs fewer, so it's all about what ql you can easily achieve - at 90 skill, assuming access to mats, 70ql is trivial.

So, basically, the non priest that saccs also gains channeling?

bottom line for me is I sac cordage ropes for village bonus and used a non priest to do so.  Think I'll start using Jake.

Just remember when you sac for the village bonus that your priest will need to have full faith before the sac.  Otherwise you will not get village bonus if I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

So basically you are paying 100 items sac for one tic? When you can get that much with 12-15 chopped corn. I don't see how you would level channeling with this method without breaking your bank, or your back.

12-15 corn might do something for your favor but it won't do anything for your deed bonus which is how I found this.  I also don't think the value of the corn will do much for the channeling skill.

2000 favor to get one tick at once

2000 favor to cast vessel 400 times

i know which id prefer if i cared about channeling

5 hours ago, Pashka said:

12-15 corn might do something for your favor but it won't do anything for your deed bonus which is how I found this.  I also don't think the value of the corn will do much for the channeling skill.

It does wonders for your channeling. You sack 12-15 corn filling up your favor bar and cast it up, you can get one or two channeling tics at least depending on your skill and what you are casting. You also don't need to sit there and imp 20 statues to 70ql. Sure if you are imping them for skill anyways and have no other use for them, go ahead and sac them, but it is by no means an efficient way to raise your Channeling. It might be for a non priest, but you are better off just priesting him for a bit and working on your channeling if that's what you care about.

I see no use for this system other than the incidental "oh nice! Free channeling tic!" from saccing for other purposes. But for channel grinding? Yeah, no, not efficient at all.

Edited by Angelklaine