Nadroj

Magranon's Rest - Recording my descent into madness.

103 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I moved to Exodus from Chaos last year, lived with some friends at The Old Contemptibles for a while but couldn't quite deal with the old itch to have a project to work on. So in November Magranon's Rest was born as a "bit of a project to play around with no big deal". Thankfully i took many screenshots to show how much i lied to myself in that first day.

So i found my location, spoke with the locals Mappy and Cyborg over at Centrum about giving them a new, slightly insane, neighbour and got to work:

Spoiler

azDH3on.png

Deedplanner image of the start.

Spoiler

s6rqzuU.png?1

Spoiler

NVAluJp.jpg

Spoiler

CSrW6Wl.jpg

Spoiler

KMUQyIV.jpg

I made some calculations after opening an entrance at the base of the mountain, exactly 900 slope from the top edge of the mine entrance to the height of the token. This will be important later ;)

Marked out the deed border with banners temporarily and set up my temp workshop, The Gravy House.

Spoiler

61zgEsX.jpg

I started a ramp around to use the dirt i'd dug up and then realised it would take far too long to dirt ramp up, so for the first...2 months i believe, WALL LADDER.

Spoiler

t7ZwkXB.jpg

Spoiler

bimnBCX.jpg

Here began the true first stage of madness, the decision to hollow out the entire mountain, deed is a 51x51 and by the end of these images i have a mine well over 1000 tiles. Naturally that wasn't enough for me so i also mined the ceilings up, then lowered the floors to max ceiling height. At the time of writing this, the floors are about 1/3 completed levelling down. Sorry about the lighting, mines are derpy to take pictures of.

Spoiler

2VHig9O.jpg

Spoiler

3lUxN9h.jpg

How i fuel myself, boozebed.

Spoiler

mkEAw3R.jpg

Spoiler

ROEBoJF.jpg

Here we have a rare sighting of another person stupid enough to show up and work with me, believe this was Mappy...possibly Cyborg. Yes i conscripted my neighbours.

Spoiler

uYKcNeZ.jpg

Spoiler

6FBMGM5.jpg?1

Mad attempt to deal with the lighting or i screwed up and needed ash for concrete? You decide.

Spoiler

ZVGzkQ5.jpg

Spoiler

cLSxKQx.jpg

I tried to be smart by only storing 50+QL rocks...i still ended up with about 50,000 xD

Spoiler

aZkDzDO.jpg

This is how it looks at the moment for the entryway, after this pic you must suffer through several boring and samey images of a cave ramp. Why you ask? The reason is simple, because i spent weeks making this god forsaken ramp and it is BEAUTIFUL.

MARCH 19th EDIT with unstable client dynamic lighting!

Spoiler

19RDo3q.jpg

Spoiler

3zFfY6J.jpg

Spoiler

Kt6cfSj.jpg

Spoiler

1xgBVsa.jpg

Spoiler

A7R1RZn.jpg

Spoiler

popMwiU.jpg

Spoiler

Ms8Wm46.jpg

Spoiler

mArGFy1.jpg

Spoiler

sRhRGL7.jpg

Spoiler

2SLFAPe.jpg

Spoiler

IfYThFq.jpg

Understably, I hope, at this point i wanted to give up on life and settled instead for putting the mine on hold so i could BE OUTSIDE. Starting with a platform up at the token level. Strategic lava tiles are used for destroying insolent ore veins on my ramp.

Spoiler

TdVXmJu.jpg

Spoiler

ddEWeUy.jpg

That top platform became a farm for a while, man's gotta eat.

Spoiler

W5P2uG6.jpg

Now i realised the time had come to begin the first platform of three that will eventually stack together to reach the token height.

Spoiler

SKJAvm1.jpg

Needed more dirts and ended up with the start of a moat.

Hmm...water....idea forming perhaps.

Spoiler

c27Z4Fu.jpg

Spoiler

9cx4mSj.jpg

Gonna need to fill this in...

Spoiler

lXBYIPQ.jpg

Spoiler

W3KpMbi.jpg

Wheeeeeee dumping dirt out is so much more fun than levelling!

Spoiler

lvovA04.jpg

Spoiler

vuEtU5V.jpg

Somtimes i just sorta get distracted by my own ideas. This one was...."hmm should i surface mine another platform above the token area? It ended in my planting the one and only tree at Magranon's Rest. Lovingly wild growth casted and enchanted by Shellbee.

Spoiler

0Bn8IMV.jpg

Spoiler

jbrVbnn.jpg

Then those damned horrible evil devs gave us three wide mine entrances and i HAD TO HAVE ONE. Problem was it looked utterly terrible without flattening out the tops of the entrances as well as the bottom. This whole process took 2 days because....digging the goddamn dirtwall back down, also i screwed up like 3 times.

Spoiler

86M5ubv.jpg

Spoiler

bWj6oOa.jpg

It's beautiful......

Spoiler

3DBDYe4.jpg

With the addition of the bridge and needing more dirt I went back to that water idea from earlier

Spoiler

kzqCuGN.jpg

CANAAAAALLLLLL. Reasonably certain I drove a number of my alliance insane with my canal madness. Not just dug, but also dirt casted to rock level depth. Shout out to Bonefly of Black Brigade for not murdering me for slapping a canal in front of his deed o.o

Spoiler

ZxeOWtY.jpg

Spoiler

mamSY1k.jpg

Spoiler

q9uYJxd.jpg

Spoiler

8r7AguU.jpg

Place is finally starting to come together

Spoiler

GNmGUiL.jpg

That rock layer on the West side was in the way. It had to go.

Spoiler

XeYoErC.jpg

Spoiler

ZvWV747.jpg

Deedplanner screenshot

Spoiler

TQmLPf1.png?1

That's it for now folks, about 4 months of my "small project". I will continue to chronicle it and get those platforms raised! At the time of posting this the first platform is complete and filled with dirt but it's night time and i refuse to take screenshots in that lighting so that one can wait ;)

March 9th post - Plotting out the Nomads and Centrum Canals.

Spoiler

xU0UnRs.jpg

March 10th post - Diving board!

Spoiler

uEMKNWV.jpg

Spoiler

xxMra8P.jpg

March 14th post - Canal progress allows caravel now! New bridge up across to Nomads

Spoiler

SYrKmc7.jpg

March 20th post - Spring arrived and i updated with new paving, smoothed out canal and the start of the horrors of making slate slabs for the walls.

Spoiler

ZKACbno.jpg

Spoiler

gVsYVnX.jpg

Spoiler

bIXypqF.jpg

April 14th post - 

Alright heres a little preview of the work Angelklaine has been doing in the mine while i've continued to play in the dirt.

Spoiler

PfrEeSv.jpg

New slate gatehouse out of the south end of the main cavern

Spoiler

3L7gRQH.jpg

and the new marble bricked outer wall in Stable and Unstable clients respectively

Spoiler

Q0VMuFJ.jpg

Spoiler

fXSMMMA.jpg

April 22nd Gatehouse rebuild in marble.

Spoiler

J0NjT5L.jpg

April 24th Deedplanner shot

Spoiler

n3cyL9L.png?1

April 25th Mine Update

Guest Houses are up, getting started on my underground city :D 

Spoiler

SjgjsQt.jpg

Spoiler

dT7HixT.jpg

Spoiler

DzU0FMc.jpg

Spoiler

U7CzY8R.jpg

Spoiler

JRt9fDF.jpg

May 20th Canal Update

Starts at East coast here next to Black Brigade.

Spoiler

u6bAut2.jpg

View from east entrance bridge.

Spoiler

Ium08PT.jpg

View at the BB/MR perimeter bridge

Spoiler

ireSmYC.jpg

From the main entrance of Magranon's Rest

Spoiler

KV2S7IZ.jpg

The long run up to Centrum Universi (i'm gonna be digging them a moat the whole way around while i collect dirt :P)

Spoiler

LT4053q.jpg

Centrum corner section

Spoiler

5t9eun1.jpg

And connecting onto Nomad's docks, through which there is entry to Lake Serpentine :)

Spoiler

jOHFiF6.jpg

Now i got a loooooooooooooooooot of dirt to start using and don't get me started on deciding what to do with the mine walls.....i'll probably clad it all in marble...

May 28th completed roads/canal update

Alrighty the time has come for me to get back to the dirt raising, so here's a couple pics of the new view from the wall platform with shiny new slate roads. With the East coast <-> Lake Serpentine canal done i'll be collecting dirt by building a moat for my neighbours at Centrum Universi so once i finish using this lot of dirt up i'll be completing a ring road around CU replacing the old cobble one too :)

Spoiler

RTFCcbj.jpg

Spoiler

xGUuePh.jpg

New road/bridge layout with my towers and mailbox icons added in too.

CDdYDSL.png

I think thats enough messing around with off deed stuff for a while!

May 30th Dirt all used up!

So i took all the dirt from the canal and the road works. Which was something like 160 crates of dirt.

This is a picture from the east side of the wall after i finished raising all the outer sections by levelling

Spoiler

S7VvCkI.jpg

Then after i dropped ALL that dirt into it, this is how that looks from the opposite corner

Spoiler

BQulNPZ.jpg

I think i need a little more dirt...

Looks nice from outside at least

Spoiler

qbbBmVg.jpg

June 14th - little paving update to the tunnels

I have returned and the digging continues, doubt i'll have much to post here in terms of screenshots for a while, all i'm doing is digging a wagon at a time and dumping it over the edge to fill in the 2nd platform.

I did play around with new cave paving though :D Tunnel looks like this now.

Spoiler

mG3jDaQ.jpg

Spoiler

1fTWPgi.jpg

Spoiler

nwdaTER.jpg

June 20th - Paving and cladding the cavern

I was really pleased with how my playing around with paving the mine went so i took some time out of digging the entire desert up today to start work on more paving and cladding. Looks pretty damn awesome if i do say so myself.

Spoiler

AwfGaQ4.jpg

Spoiler

pV0ZpMg.jpg

Spoiler

Is7AQTE.jpg

Spoiler

qevcElX.jpg

Spoiler

oWuHelz.jpg

Spoiler

yh06EWD.jpg

Spoiler

UyS3ao3.jpg

Spoiler

h4G9Qk1.jpg

Only problem now is how much more that bit of broken ceiling i can't fix bothers me! 

June 22nd - Did a little video of the cave and tunnel ramp.

Spoiler

Completed paving main pathways for now (until the east side of the cavern is levelled down) and decided to make a little video. Pay no heed to the random background music that came with the video software o.o.

Helpy helpers who have helped 

Arium - Initial cave mining and ceiling raising.
Cyborg - Mining
Mappy - Mining, dirt donations and helped put up the guard towers
Jakerivers - Not honestly certain if he knows how many supplies i "borrowed" from ToC
Mypoppy - Dirt Donation
Somebodyx - Does stuff on occasion, honestly not sure why i don't KoS him for being my only citizen who's never here.
Zivirt - I steal his account to do skills i'm too lazy to grind myself.
Szai - Dirt Donation
Thunderstruck - Dirt Donation

Tiranille - Dirt Donation

Angelklaine - Actually came over and joined the village for the opportunity to help with my mine! :)

Killgharrah and Kialexia - Dirt digging and huge donation of dirt out of their own pocket!

Koroth - Came by on a Nahjo priest Sirona and casted dirt while he stayed 

Armyskin - "did like 3 hours of levelling total" - his words. Has since spent many hours levelling cave floors.

Fhylli - Levelled outer dirtwall of platform 2 with me.

If i missed someone do yell at me.

If anyone wants to come visit you've got the location up at the top of this post South end of the NE desert. Deed is open access and if i'm online i'll even feed ya ;) 

Edit - Forgot a shout out to Tovarishtito, who sold me about a thousand reinforcement beams for nice price and delivered right to my door.

Edited by Nadroj
29 people like this

It's nice to see that I'm surrounded by people who share my level of madness when it comes to deed building :)

4 people like this

Magranon would be proud.

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Jakerivers - Not honestly certain if he knows how many supplies i "borrowed" from ToC

the bill is in the mail

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

the bill is in the mail

[03:00:07] You Added Jakerivers(+Deny All)

COME GET ME.

Edited by Nadroj
1 person likes this

You're honestly insane.

But this is awesome and I really do love the work you've done with it, good job.

1 person likes this

Coming soon - Boatcave

Spoiler

1JXTYRh.jpg

We might have to talk about this cave system of yours, looks very impressive. I got a small project under way as well on release on the wand of the seas island thats like 45x57. I am very interested to learn these how you got these perfect 3 tile openings and some other neat things I saw on your mine system. Keep taking a lot of screenshots looking forward to seeing the continued progression.

The three tile openings took 2 days, i had to dig the whole damn dirtwall down so i could surface mine around it all >.<

1 minute ago, Nadroj said:

The three tile openings took 2 days, i had to dig the whole damn dirtwall down so i could surface mine around it all >.<

And yet he still manages to have 1 slope up on the top of the boat mine entrance.

I came here for QUALITY, Nadroj.

Just now, Joelle said:

And yet he still manages to have 1 slope up on the top of the boat mine entrance.

I came here for QUALITY, Nadroj.

YOU'RE ON THE LIST.

3 people like this

I can sneak into your mine easy! 

(no mine doors =p)

6 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I can sneak into your mine easy! 

(no mine doors =p)

Not at the bottom no.

Wait....I NEED A THREE TILE WIDE ENTRANCE AT THE TOP TOO.

On it.

I'm thinking Slate Slabs for the walls, but....my god the concrete requirements.

Spoiler

TN0NZGp.png?1

Opinions anyone?

slate for sure, just get ziv to make all that concrete =p oh wait, hop on ziv and make the concrete

6 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

slate for sure, just get ziv to make all that concrete =p oh wait, hop on ziv and make the concrete

I wish it to be known that this man ^ Just suggested using transmutation to turn an entire wall into tar. This man is silly.

1 person likes this

I wanted to do marble originally, but the texture really doesn't stretch well onto 300 slope.

Better

Spoiler

4LGn8xS.jpg

2 people like this

Like for the boozebed.

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

Opinions anyone?

Rock.  That would require substituting dirtwalls with surface mined platforms tho... 

Looks awesome man, keep us updated, I really enjoyed looking through these Screenies :) 

3 people like this

1 minute ago, zigozag said:

Like for the boozebed.

Rock.  That would require substituting dirtwalls with surface mined platforms tho... 

Time to spam lava around the whole deed xD

Ahh I feel better all time seeing others being even more mad than me.

Egard, for the 3 tile entrances you will want to find a spot where rockface is as parallel to tile borders as possible- otherwise it will carve deeply into the mountain body or will need extensive cliff sculpting to smooth out. If you plan it around sea level the bottom edge is easiest to level with opening tunnels then collapsing back one by one to avoid extensive dredging.

I also had to burn out veins which were of course right at the planned entrances.

You're insane.  I love it, but you're insane.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Emoo said:

Looks awesome man, keep us updated, I really enjoyed looking through these Screenies :) 

I think nad will need you do a video tour so everyone can see his crazy mine and its epicness. No way to catch that on just screen shots. Use a hell cart so it don't take all day to make it to the top. =p

Edited by JakeRivers
2 people like this