Sign in to follow this  
thorgot

[Fixed] Digging checks for trees on the wrong tiles

When digging everybody has experienced the message "You cannot dig in such terrain". Maybe we've stopped and wondered for a second why it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't with the same number of trees next to us. But then we've just shrugged, chopped down some trees, and then continued digging.

I'm here to report a breakthrough on this annoyance. First you have to understand that when you stand on a tile corner, the tile to the southeast of you is the tile at those coordinates. When you dig on that tile, the game checks that corner and the corner north, south, east, and west of it. If 4 or 5 of those are trees, you get that message.

That sounds like it's correct, but the corners south and east of the corner you're standing on are two tiles away!

Let's give a practical example. Emma Watson wants to dig a tile. She's really tired after a long day of Hogwarts so she forgets to cut down the trees first.

ijPWkMG.jpg

But wait, she is able to dig here! Only three of those trees are counted. The one in the upper left hand corner is ignored.

Later, after drinking some wizard coffee, Emma Watson tries to dig another tile. Remembering her previous experience and seeing only two of the four tiles around her are trees, she just goes for it.

Y6Hl3mg.jpg

She is unable to dig here, despite only two of the four tiles around her being trees! Why? Because the five tiles checked are the tile southeast of her and the tiles north, south, east and west of that one. There are four trees among those so she is unable to dig.

The easy fix for this would be to check the tile corner she's standing on and the tiles north, west, and northwest of it. These are the four tiles visually surrounding the player when the player is standing on a corner. If X of those four are trees, it makes intuitive sense that she would be unable to dig. That X could be either 3 or 4 while staying true to the idea that too many trees should prevent digging.

tl;dr Emma Watson is right to be confused. The tiles checked for trees when digging are not intuitive and are further away than intended.

• Like 4

It doesnt work from the tiles, it goes off tile borders.

Emma is standing on the NW corner of a tree tile, so she will be unable to dig it.

Remove the tree to the SE of her, and even with the ones NE,NW,SW she should be able to dig.

I think will work, if not, just WINGARDIUM LEVIOSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR it.

4 minutes ago, Wanttobuy said:

It doesnt work from the tiles, it goes off tile borders.

Emma is standing on the NW corner of a tree tile, so she will be unable to dig it.

Remove the tree to the SE of her, and even with the ones NE,NW,SW she should be able to dig.

I think will work, if not, just WINGARDIUM LEVIOSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR it.

No, you are incorrect. It is checking 5 tiles, some of which are over a tile away from the corner you are standing on. You can easily test this for yourself by planting sprouts in the same places Emma Watson did above.

Edited by thorgot

I was just basing off experience, testing stuff now.

My experience tells me majority of things work from the NW corner of a tile, so no doubt its a factor.

Thanks for the report - confirmed in code - will fix...somehow.

• Like 3