Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Question about game rules

The branded critters count towards population of a deed. I approve of this use of the branding function as it proves that the population that a village allows is far too high and should as such be reviewed

• Like 1

I think the simple solution to this is to allow branded animals to be attacked.  Branding allows us to lead off other peoples deeds.  Does it really need to do all of the other things?

• Like 1

I agree with Keenan. If I went to a island and there was 700 perfectly good animals that nobody had access to this would prevent me from enjoying my gaming experience.

In a way this is griefing other players as you are preventing them from enjoying the game as it should be.

I understand wanting to breed animals, but if you cannot come to kill them yourself, you need to stop when you reach the point of over population on your deed.

Edited by Bramson

Hi all,

I've been away from Wurm for a long time now, but Attenia asked for my help dealing with the larger issue that she is facing at the moment.

As it pertains to this topic and some of the concerns here:

All 6 released creatures (5 Neutral and 1 Hostile) have all been unbranded.

No other creatures have been released, nor is there or ever has been a plan to mass release branded animals.

The initial release of creatures was not in any way intended as a personal slight against any of her neighbours.

Queries have been raised about the purpose and appropriate use of the branding feature.

Any official clarifications or ammendments to rules and/or mechanics regarding branding will be absolutely welcomed.

Thank you to everone for you patience and openmindedness regarding this issue, I hope that we can come to a conclusion shortly.

2 hours ago, Pashka said:

I think the simple solution to this is to allow branded animals to be attacked.  Branding allows us to lead off other peoples deeds.  Does it really need to do all of the other things?

Id rather not let my geared horses be free to be attacked and looted by anyone who pleases. I see where your coming from, but i think its a needed mechanic.

Let them not be killed by other players if they are cared for maybe?  There is a definite limit on how many animals you can care for.  A never prem can only care for 1 animal.  Others it is based on their AH skill.

6 hours ago, Pashka said:

Let them not be killed by other players if they are cared for maybe?  There is a definite limit on how many animals you can care for.  A never prem can only care for 1 animal.  Others it is based on their AH skill.

actually that is worse ^_^ at least branding drops when a player quits and their deed disbands, but Caring Lasts Forever .... so for  practicable purposes those animals will live a long greatly extended lifetime --  and never be killable. 

I don't think it is a frequent enough problem to change any game mechanics. Case by case still seems to work if it only comes up once in a rare blue moon. 

Don't change things that are not truly broken, as that's how things GET broken. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

I think that this branding feature should only protect animals from being killed on your own deed, say in the instance of hostile type pets or if your attack non-citizens is allowed. Otherwise players can just brand animals and then put them in off deed pens to avoid their being killed, or carelessly release them into the wild with this "immune" effect.

If taken off deed hitched to carts/wagons they can't be attacked anyway or even while being led, so I don't see really the need for branding to enable immune to death otherwise. I seem to recall when branding was introduced into the game it did function in the way that I mentioned and was later changed to its current state. Anyway, even in small numbers of released branded animals into the wild they are useless to anyone else as they can't even lead them away from their own areas if desired.

=Ayes=

So long as branded horses and hell horses can't be attacked off-deed... Yes.

It isn't uncommon to see just a random horse in the woods where someone has logged off. But the horse is branded so it cannot be led or killed for its gear, and it won't wander off because of its saddle, so it is safe.

Please don't let this incident ruin that feature, specifically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joelle said:

So long as branded horses and hell horses can't be attacked off-deed... Yes.

It isn't uncommon to see just a random horse in the woods where someone has logged off. But the horse is branded so it cannot be led or killed for its gear, and it won't wander off because of its saddle, so it is safe.

Please don't let this incident ruin that feature, specifically.

Don't forget - you can lock a horse to a tent (military tent etc) so you can still have the protection that it appears branding gives by simply making a tent.

Very often people get disconnected without enough notice to dismount, drop a tent and hitch their saddle horse.  Sometimes they get disconnected and cannot get back ingame immediately.  Sometimes they have no idea when they will be able to get back in, if the server went down and they waited and waited but cannot hang around for hours to jump in the minute it comes back up. Because the Holy Triad of Work Life Family. In addition to the animal, at risk is oftentimes expensive, enchanted and sometimes irreplaceable rare-supreme-fantastic gear it carried.

Yes, that happens. Much more often than hordes of branded abandoned animals stampeding and roaming at large and devastating the servers and traumatizing the playerbase. 

We had ONE incident, and it involved only six animals. There was a smidgen of neighborhood drama. How often does this otherwise happen. Nobody got scammed,  nobody lost their account, nobody quit the game in anger, or even suffered much more than a little indignation (which is normally not fatal). Which is much more likely to happen if people finally are able to log back in and find some punkass killed and butchered their best horse and stole their gear, they call GMs, GMs tell them there is nothing they can do. Ragequit ensues. 

Don't change things that are not truly broken, as that's how things GET broken.

That's how longtime players leave the game forever.  

In fact, that is exactly why I will never ever ever come back to Wurm Online.   

Not that anyone cares, just sayin':  Don't lose more people than you already have, over absolute trivia.

• Like 4

Yeah, I feel the need to clarify we won't be making large scale changes from this.

While it has highlighted the possible issues of branded aggressives in the wild, the branding and functions from it are a major boost to adventuring and quality of life within the game, we may tweak some things to lessen the possible impact of any branded aggressives, but we will not be making major changes out of a knee jerk reaction to a fear of a situation like this rising again

• Like 5

Put a limit of 7 days for brands outside deed. If it's not returned to deed for 7 days it loses brand and has to be re-branded.

All problems solved. 

If someone indeed tries to catch and release all animals on his server (as your dirty minds thought about Attenia :P ) then he'll have the responsibility to re-catch them all and brand them again. Impossible!    so.. again... -problem solved

1 hour ago, KalinMenajin said:

Put a limit of 7 days for brands outside deed. If it's not returned to deed for 7 days it loses brand and has to be re-branded.

All problems solved. 

If someone indeed tries to catch and release all animals on his server (as your dirty minds thought about Attenia :P ) then he'll have the responsibility to re-catch them all and brand them again. Impossible!    so.. again... -problem solved

Why. What if I want to spend a cpl of weeks at my friends deed at the south of the server. One person does something and everyone is knee jerk quick to want to remove a very nice feature and want to replace it with shittier ones. Like someone else said its not like there is a epidemic of this going on. If it does ever become a problem then maybe how many creatures that can be branded should be revisited. You know maybe solve it without removing the nice feature.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KalinMenajin said:

All problems solved. 

What if we decide that six animals wandering loose on one server  just isn't that big of a problem  and decide to do  ...   nothing?  

We just let the GMs handle it if those animals cause a local neighborhood issue, or the GMs can suggest to devs a change in game mechanics if they think there are widespread problems that impact the entire wurm community.

1 hour ago, Evilvision said:

One person does something and everyone is knee jerk quick to want to remove a very nice feature and want to replace it with shittier ones.

Precisely. 

In the history of Wurm, this never ends well.