Sign in to follow this  
Bramson

Overriding Caring For on Deed/Branded

Aloha

Overriding Caring For on Deed/Branded

Can you let us override a caring for on any animal you have on your deed and branded? 

Bought a horse, it has been cared for by some other person for 2 years now (hasn't died yet) - shouldn't have to wait till death to override a caring for action if you own the horse on deed / branded.

Thanks

B

+1 yes please, this would be great!

I'd also love a modification that allows you to care for any animal on your deed, even those that can't be tamed, charmed or dominated, like spiders, lava spiders, sharks, etc.

Edited by Attenia
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I see the issue with someone else caring for your horse?

I don't feel that this change should be made because this is the safest way to track who has your horse if you lose it. Just bringing it on deed and branding it shouldn't enable a person to "steal" the horse from the other carer for good by losing their name on it if they're still playing. 

I've had a horse stolen from me that was saddled on a spot I intended to but didn't yet deed once, a jetblack 5-speeder and the only way I got it back was that after I was publicly looking for it someone found my name on a horse that fit the description and I was able to reclaim it. If this was in place, that wouldn't have been possible.

• Like 3

The issue is that people leave Wurm for months or years at a time, then come back and clear their caring for lists. I think if someone has been gone for that long, it's ok for someone else to adopt their animals, though you're right about if they're still an active player they need to be able to track their animals. They could do this by branding, though, then it will only go away if they disband their deed, and if they're doing that it probably means they're taking a break anyway.

yeah , more for the fact that Attenia stated, people can go away for ages, or even non prem accounts can care for 2 animals, dont come back for 90 days and character is deleted and a horse you thought u had cared for dies. If you brand your animals and leave it someplace non deeded, nobody can steal it on freedom islands. Also for tracking what animal in a bigger village is who's , it is nice to let them care for their horse, so you can examine and know right away which villages mate's horse it is.

people used to be able to "claim" boats from other players if they posted a 'salvage notice" on the forums, this reminds me a bit of that but without giving the option for the original owner to contest the claim

i imagine there was a reason they stopped allowing people to "claim" other people's possessions that way and that what works for a 10Q rowboat holds true as well for a fully geared 5-speed ebony jetspeed ... not all horses can be branded if you are in the process of finding a new settlement deed and don;lt yet have branding ability, or just purchased the animal and were in the process of taking it back home when you got server disconected and someone else walked by and took the horse.  It used to be boats that were unlocked but anchored had full protection from being claimed by others even if they were from players not currently active. 

Doesn;t mean someone can;t wander along and just take it, just means they cannot erase full evidence of someone else's claim to it. Unless the horse is already venerable (which means about 6-9 months old) there is not a huge need to care yourself, and so you still get free use of the animal for many months till then, if the animal is already past venerable, and you want to protect against death from old age, i suspect you have by then plenty of time to find a more permanent animal to "invest" your limited caring slots.  meantime, ride it and breed it and soon you will have many little baby horses of your own... unlike boats you cannot just make a 'copy" of the item on your own, one for you and one for the original owner,

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I wouldn't use this function for horses or animals you can breed - as you said, it's easy enough to breed more of those before they die of old age. There are some animals that can't be bred, though, and that don't spawn in the wild anymore. Dogs and deer with conditions don't spawn anymore, and we haven't had any indication that Christmas animals are going to repeat (those were all male, so can't be bred to get more of the same). I have a venerable male slow dog that someone from my alliance got for me from an old abandoned deed. Clearly the original owner isn't worried about their animals anymore, or they would have taken them with when they moved the deed, and they're perfectly within their rights to clear their caring for list at any time, and then my dog is done for with no hope of replacement. It's for cases like these that I think this function would be most important, and I'd suggest no one leaves their unbranded horse alone, which would solve problems about animals getting grabbed. If you can't brand it for whatever reason, tame it when you log off and set it to log off with you.

Sometimes people are exited from the game without advance warning, and cannot get back in ... I would never recommend taming a mounted animal unless you ave a durn good reason to tame it, because when and if you log back in there is a high probability that tamed mount will be nom nom mob-food when you get back.

i would prefer things like male conditioned animals be handled by the dev staff making them spawning again, or giving male versions at east a 10% chance to pass conditions on to offspring, rather than something that affected the majority of players to meet a .01% likelihood circumstance ...  the coding for that is certainly going to be no harder (and probably easier) than coding a set of conditions that must be met for a new game mechanic in order to override someone else's care.

and you are a lot more likely to get unexpectedly disconnected from the server and not be able to get back in in time to save the life of your prized tamed animal (with everyone in global saying it's your own damn fault for taming it in the first place), than you are to have an abandoned but cared male slow dog from a disbanded deed and a non-active player caring who later logs back in just so they can uncare it.

Another issue with overriding care -- random villagers with permission for Care, have no idea what CARE even means which makes it probable they will examine and CARE for your prized irreplaceable legacy animal, overwriting YOUR overwrite, not knowing Care is anything more than a random gesture of affection, then realizing their mistake and UN-caring it before anyone notices, or weeks later when they have a deed of their own and realize they want to care for their own animals, which now gives it a death sentence without you having any chance to stop the friendly new villager.  Which is a MUCh more likely scenario. In fact if that were to happen to me, I would probably come back here and post a 72-point THANKS A LOT GUYS (NOT) personal memo to the people who suggested this in the first place. (I know, i know, "just don;t give new villagers permission to care for animals unless they have first completed a ten hour orientation in which you explained all the little nuances of the game that are not intuitive on first glance..." -- ie again it's somehow my own fault )

The upshot is -- if you find an irreplaceable legacy super-special once-in-a-lifetime animal cared by a former player, cherish your luck for as long as you have it rather than get greedy and demand even more luck. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

+1 to males having a small chance at passing on conditions to offspring!!

I have experienced in WU that I had  my best horse stolen from inside a house cause I allowed allied to lead on deed.

My thin luck was that I could track it down (with a priest) before they took it to pvp server to remove any tracks it was mine. (Yep that server has the animal turned in to token mod)

Ofc the thief and friends were kicked from the alliance.

Keep in mind that some code in WO trickles over to WU also.

• Like 1