Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Esert Makeover voting

Esert makeover  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which design to keep?

• Existing
    • New submission

Okay so we have one AMAZING entry for the esert makeover, so I'm not even fussed the voting will be straight forward! The options will be to take on the new design, or keep the current existing one, so drop by, check out the existing Esert and cast your vote!

35f0bbb68100455090927c8e9f6aa536.png

Esert Redesign Submission

Please open the spoiler for more screenshots!

Spoiler

96fe817200a341418c0f92b08f47b23a.png

1ea962c1ae8e4f8c9deff10ac7ec9179.png

fdf9debeb16f4bfc81d5075343f1cc32.png

6ed0be7631144fc4ae03f095c581c98f.png

344a8d18d746455483133ff3e7e615fe.png

a2382b87852c405a8649825660b02057.png

b831359e976b4d69af0c7d606ddb9075.png

44a5c67f7b444f6a8efa32fbeb65ae8a.png

95c924c214c148a2bfdbc0ebe7001e88.png

280d1b7595114a769962b797aacd7c49.png

f54f3b49eeba4f8f8f94a0b56d80cae4.png

d5dc32588bc3480ca47ddb7e91fe55f5.png

0507ba23c1e24028a033723e70e802fa.png

6765069017fd496d8ffccff9cec66442.png

9c01c270cac041a19cb59878e3368a9e.png

A bit about the pitch

Spoiler

The primary goal behind this Esert submission was to make Exodus' starter town more new-player friendly while maintaining the charm of a classic Wurm starter deed that veteran players would enjoy.

This deed would be split into four quadrants. The purpose of this would not only be for aesthetic purposes, but also to mimic the points of a compass. Each gate would be labeled with which cardinal direction it faces, and the gates would be parallel to each other design-wise: North matches South, and East matches West. This asymmetry is one of many design choices that would make Esert more appealing to new players and old players alike.

Esert Chapel would have a courtyard castle feel to it. Outside, there would be a 3x3 'courtyard' space, with statues, flowerbeds, and benches as decoration. Inside, eight altars would be available for public use--one of each current religion in the game.

There would be four pens in Esert to showcase the following animals: horses, cows, sheep, and pigs/chickens.

The farm would display various crops, and on it would sit a Freedom Isles wagon for dimension.

The goal for the trading post was to keep it easily accessible and functional while also maintaining the charm of the current traders' warehouse in Esert.

Docks would be a useful addition to Esert. The starter deed sits on Lake Esert, which is centrally located to the rest of the Exodus server. Through canal(s), it makes Esert easily accessible by boat from any direction. Adding docks to Esert would give those traveling to central exodus for trade, exploration, or community events the opportunity to park their ship in a safe and neutral location.

Two meditation tiles--knowledge (sand) and love (flowers)--would be added to Esert.

The huge glimmersteel Epic portal would be accented by PvP banners.

Resource Row: five resources would be displayed in Esert, for the purpose of showing new players what types of materials they might want to start gathering or looking for. Each 2x2 'pit' would include a small sign briefly explaining what the resource is or what it is used for. For example, "Tar is used to light lamps and lanterns!" or "Combine clay with sand to make mortar!" The goal is to incorporate these signs throughout Esert in a way that isn't obnoxious or obtrusive to give new players a small glimpse of what this game is about.

Freedom Isles Inn would have four beds, two ovens, and two forges. It would be an inn/smithy combination. Inside, there would be various types of furniture, containers, etc. to show new players what is available for decorating buildings on the interior.

This design submission would be a refresh to the Exodus server, and it would be beneficial to the community in many ways. Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 14

+1 Just make sure Logi and Joelle work closely to make sure that this is made to perfection for both new and existing players!

• Like 3

Peat tar and clay must be offdeed in perimeter

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sila said:

Peat tar and clay must be offdeed in perimeter

Why? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joelle said:

Why? 

can't dig on starter towns

+1 to making Exodus great again!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JakeRivers said:

can't dig on starter towns

+1 to making Exodus great again!

Was never meant to be dug. The reason for the resource pits is in the description spoiler--it's just for show.

• Like 1

If all the green parts are lawn (not clear if that is the case, but if-then), I suggest making it partly natural grass (or enchanted grass). Reason: just like players may want to park their boats, they may want to park their horses somewhere safe also.

5 hours ago, Kianga said:

If all the green parts are lawn (not clear if that is the case, but if-then), I suggest making it partly natural grass (or enchanted grass). Reason: just like players may want to park their boats, they may want to park their horses somewhere safe also.

Hah, starter towns new storage for branded off deed horses!

While I like your design, I would prefer my idea of a decaying citadel where our ancient people once lived. But hey you are going to do the hard work and anything is better than the current mess :) So +1 

• Like 1

I find the ancient ruins concept very interesting but as no one made a submission during the open period my vote is for the proposed refresh submission.

On 3/3/2017 at 6:44 PM, Joelle said:

Was never meant to be dug. The reason for the resource pits is in the description spoiler--it's just for show.

On 3/3/2017 at 1:27 PM, Retrograde said:

source Row: five resources would be displayed in Esert, for the purpose of showing new players what types of materials they might want to start gathering or looking for. Each 2x2 'pit' would include a small sign briefly explaining what the resource is or what it is used for. For example, "Tar is used to light lamps and lanterns!" or "Combine clay with sand to make mortar!" The goal is to incorporate these signs throughout Esert in a way that isn't obnoxious or obtrusive to give new players a small glimpse of what this game is about.

I can't believe I'm reading this. New players need these resources, and always, always have a hard time finding them for the first times. Even only for a torch, and it still matters if there's a bit of tar they know of. If only to come back to Esert and carry a small cart with some clay, it's easier since it's a place known to them, and it matters. If the intention is "just for show", then it's sad.

The message this transmits is "I don't give a damn that you need it. Look but don't touch. Now buzz off."

Speaking of this, deed permissions allow digging off resources, and not anything else, it's a separate permission in deed interface, for exactly a reason like this. It is useful to allow digging resources, but not general terraforming. If that's not good enough, then as said above, put them in perimeter.

On the rest, it is looking nice, and it's worth trying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anarres said:

I can't believe I'm reading this. New players need these resources, and always, always have a hard time finding them for the first times. Even only for a torch, and it still matters if there's a bit of tar they know of. If only to come back to Esert and carry a small cart with some clay, it's easier since it's a place known to them, and it matters. If the intention is "just for show", then it's sad.

The message this transmits is "I don't give a damn that you need it. Look but don't touch. Now buzz off."

Speaking of this, deed permissions allow digging off resources, and not anything else, it's a separate permission in deed interface, for exactly a reason like this. It is useful to allow digging resources, but not general terraforming. If that's not good enough, then as said above, put them in perimeter.

On the rest, it is looking nice, and it's worth trying.

There's clay, peat, tar, moss AND sand within local of Esert. Clay, peat, and tar is in Esert's perimeter, even. (Actually now that I look more closely, so is moss and sand... All in perimeter.) So probably would be a good idea to check out the existing Esert like Retrograde suggested before jumping to conclusions.

To assist in understanding, I've provided screenshots of all of these resources from within Esert's walls.

Spoiler

2ddfaf50016c44dfb66623fd18ea8059.png

3036466022ac4e8e92db8efac4719a13.png

b2443e3804934c0fac00d15d221b4c93.png

436641f2e1db4d8d819b3b7bdbda8d23.png

And they all read upon examine: [22:24:39] This is within the perimeter of Esert.

I guess my way of thinking is, "We have every resource RIGHT HERE, why not learn how to use them?"

Edited by Joelle
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joelle said:

There's clay, peat, tar, moss AND sand within local of Esert. Clay, peat, and tar is in Esert's perimeter, even. (Actually now that I look more closely, so is moss. So is sand. All in perimeter.) So probably would be a good idea to check out the existing Esert like Retrograde suggested before jumping to conclusions.

Every single resource is in perimeter of Esert :)

The problem with having these resource tiles on the deed is that you can't *drop* dirt/sand to fill back clay or sand that is dug down, so they will just be dug into pits too steep for new players to dig further anyway. Also, filling them back to level is not something they will be doing either even if it were allowable.

Having clay, peat and tar on the starter Village perimeter is the best solution, also for the reason that no one can later deed over it and block digging it (clay) as they did north of Green Dog on Deliverance. Not to mention that GD has no peat either, which is the perfect fuel for new players to use in forges. So if Esert is set up with these on perimeter they are much better equipped that a few other starter Villages that come to mind.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Hmm many years ago I arrived at Essert, the name meant little to me, I didn't even know that there were villages. My first death was soon after as I was chased by a dog I thought I could eat :) so attacked it. But that is what makes Wurm so amazing, Don't make it easy for new players it's more fun when it's hard and I learn't from talking to old players. I was amazed when Dejay showed me how to make a fire and put food in it(He was the first friend I found SW of Essert.) Maybe adding something in the tute about other players being out there to help you???? What Essert looks like is just adds to what each player imagines our world of Exodus. Oh and learning there were other places to sail to came much much later, something I have little done as I am in love with Exodus.

So I totally forgot I did this like... A month ago.

I originally made this video to submit along with my Esert submission, but decided against it to remain anonymous for voting.

But since that's sort of redundant now, here's a walkthrough of the deedplanner and a little bit more of our plans for the area:

Please ignore my weirdo voice and awkwardness kthx

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Oh hey sexy voice!

Oh god why

And the votes are in! It was obviously a really close race, but I'm happy to say the redesign will go ahead!

Thank you all who voted, and I hope to see this ingame soon!

• Like 1

Very nice, obviously a lot of thought and time went into the design, still we seem to be missing a lot of HOTS banners :P 

But  hey, C'est La Vie.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lawurm said:

Very nice, obviously a lot of thought and time went into the design, still we seem to be missing a lot of HOTS banners :P 

But  hey, C'est La Vie.

We have one! :D

Hehe, thank you.